Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

85 was great, i was 7 and remember me and the auld boy stood at the back door most of the night looking over the river boyne as the lightening lit up the countryside.

Unforgettable :)
    Aye,that one was worse than the one in 86 actually
    There were quite a few serious thunder events in the East and South east in the mid 80's many Welsh imports

Regarding this week, I'm hopeful but not expecting anything epic
    The question is will we import

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

85 was great, i was 7 and remember me and the auld boy stood at the back door most of the night looking over the river boyne as the lightening lit up the countryside.

Unforgettable :)

Can remember the heat that day and the big black clouds rolling in over the south coast with the bright sun to the west which made the cloud seem blacker.

The all hell let loose.

Travelling to Germany tomorrow so if there are any fireworks here at home, I'll miss them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aye,that one was worse than the one in 86 actually
    There were quite a few serious thunder events in the East and South east in the mid 80's many Welsh imports

Regarding this week, I'm hopeful but not expecting anything epic
    The question is will we import

Well at the moment, we in the east and south look to be on a conveyor belt that leads to thunderstorms.
    The rain getting into the south east leads back to France and all heading this way looking at the radar animation.
    Looks very severe right now over north west France.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well at the moment, we in the east and south look to be on a conveyor belt that leads to thunderstorms.
    The rain getting into the south east leads back to France and all heading this way looking at the radar animation.
    Aye even now the sky to the south and South east of here (Arklow) looking south has that dark grey orangey wavy thunder is coming look about it even if it's got no precipitation, it's as if it knows it's the scouting party and the cavalry will be along in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Big_Evil wrote: »
    Can remember the heat that day and the big black clouds rolling in over the south coast with the bright sun to the west which made the cloud seem blacker.

The all hell let loose.

Yeah the heat was unreal, we went the beach during the day, left the home place, not a cloud in sight, sun beating down, got to the beach and we couldn't see anything with fog, heard some rumbles in the distance so we headed home and then the fireworks started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

JOA5zDu.png

Maybe a light show out over the Irish Sea for those on the southern east coast tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

RobertKK wrote: »

Maybe i'm wrong but it seems to be moving more in a northerly direction towards england, i'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Personally, 1985 was unforgettable for me. I was right under it and never experienced anything like it since.

1986 was not quite as severe.

The total opposite here. I do recall one night in the mid 80s watching lightning all night flashing quite frequently to the east with a halfish moon hanging in the sky, which may have been down to the those 85 storms.

1986 was a different beast entirely in these here parts. The storm began around 8 (ish) Forked lightning began sticking the ground to the north, west, south and east with shocking frequency - and often simultaneously, from what appeared to be very dense and dark Ac. This went on for hours and hours. This particular storm was abnormally in more ways than one. Its shear ferocity I can't put into words but one memorable feature I can recall is the dark greeny black look to those evil clouds as they moved over.

Another feature I remember was the colour of the lighting bolts. Red, blue, green, yellow, the works! I sometimes wonder did radiation from nuclear disaster in Chernobyl earlier that year have some sort of influence on those storms.

New Moon

1985 was a separate event.

Personally, 1985 was unforgettable for me. I was right under it and never experienced anything like it since.

1986 was not quite as severe.

I do remember my father stopped milking the cows. Lightning was striking on the yard outside the parlour and as it was one of those very old type milking machines, he unplugged it and isolated.

Cows stayed inside that evening.

Yep it was incredible. I was only 4 years old but I remember it vividly. One of my earliest memories. Constant lightning illuminating the night sky, like something you'd see in films from the tropics or the great plains. Unforgettable.

ECM has that convergence a bit further south and east with any storm potential confined to coastal fringes. HIRLAM more confident. Maybe a few home grown showers overland tomorrow?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Wish I was around for those storms, must have been amazing from all the reports that so many people give on here. A couple of years before my time though I don't think Donegal was affected anyway.

Staying hopeful I might see something tomorrow here in England though the severe stuff looks to be further north and west. Very warm and humid this evening and my phone says 27C tomorrow so plenty of heat in the air if things do kick off in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Issued by ME at 2000:
    Further showery outbreaks of rain in places overnight ....
    a bit of the mark I think, whats heading for the south coast is a bit more than showery outbreaks.
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

So envious..

351782.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ok guys search "harbour heights hotel" in Poole it's a live streaming camera some great lightning on it

This is the link its the bottom camera named poole 8

http://www.bournemouthweather.com/bournemouth_web_camera_list.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Here's another infra red webcam, works on the phone aswell, does on android anyway.
    Pity their not tilted upwards a bit.
    http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/AttractionsLeisure/BeachesandWaterfront/PierApproachWebcam2.aspx

Some huge flashes in the Poole camera

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Currently camping in Le Mans, France for the 24 Hour race. After a sultry day and escaping showers all through daylight, we are currently being hit with the most spectacular electric storm ive ever seen close up.

From about 10pm, the sky began to dancing with lightning in the distance, and at about 2am 300,000 or so folks under canvas all suddenly sat up and took notice as constant severe thunder and lightning began followed closely by downpours which continue as i write. Currently watching our camp for flooding and hoping everyone safely avoids lightning strikes as the place is 10 square kilometres of trees and aerials and metal frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm going to be flying over those storms this evening. Am I likely to see anything from above ?

No storms of note developed over the UK today,they were hard set to import any even
    There won't be any imports now ,there's nothing to import,and indeed looks like very little rain either bar some coastal showers
    Disappointing but worth the watch all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rain & thunderstorm storm here in Padua Italy for the last 3 hours never seen anything like it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some sharp showers building now this evening up through the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

DOCARCH wrote: »

Some strikes up north by looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

DOCARCH wrote: »

Had a nice little downpour from a shower earlier, plenty of big puddles after it.
    The neighbours got soaked chasing cattle around the field trying to get them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there's a few sparks down in west cork direction :D anyone know could cork city get some action?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning a West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

3 or 4 nice flashes here in west cork .... sitting in the conservatory waiting for more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

nice flash in Dunmanway. the dog gave it away. 5 mins before , she dived into her bomb shelter.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Weather on news this morning.. The only problem with high temperatures next week will likely bring thunderstorms.
    That's not a problem at all. 😂

• Advertisement

Yep, fingers crossed. Too early to know for sure but the potential will be there...

Advertisement