Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a turtle

• 01-03-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi guys, my husband was doing work in the garden today and found a turtle hiding in the ivy, possibly a baby/juvenile (approx 4 inches long). I've checked the DSPCA but other than emergencies which i'm not sure this is, they're not open til tomorrow morning.

Anyone have any advice on where to keep him tonight (indoors/shed/outdoors on a secure box)? What bedding/food/water should we provide? I thought he might be hibernating but he put his head out once we moved him into a box for safekeeping

Any advice gratefully received, we'd like to help the little guy out til we can get him sorted properly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Turtles eat in water so a basin of lukewarm water will do the job..don't need to submerge it,just a couple of inches.Some eat grated carrot, pieces of broccoli & cauliflower...I have cooked frozen broccoli & cauliflower and my turtles love it :) They don't need to stay in water all the time so over night in any container is fine. Actually make sure it's a turtle and not a tortoise first...google it or post a pic here;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Are you sure it's a turtle and not a tortoise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Thanks guys! Not sure at all tbh, i've attached a pic of it here if anyone could enlighten me I'd be very grateful!

We've given him a little container of water (as a drink), should he have a bigger container to swim in?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

You've got yourself a girl turtle...so basin of water will do her nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Silverfish wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a turtle and not a tortoise?

Best question ever..

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Best question ever..

I was just checking, turtles are usually in tanks whereas some people let their tortoises out in the garden :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Should i just leave the turtle in a basin full of water or should there be a place where she can stay dry if she wants?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, i just want to look after her right!

Should i just leave the turtle in a basin full of water or should there be a place where she can stay dry if she wants?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, i just want to look after her right!

Yes, she'll need to be able to get out of the water if she wants to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Silverfish wrote: »
    some people let their tortoises out in the garden :(

Why the sad face? In the summer, outside is the healthiest and best place for them. Of course, the garden needs to be secure, both in terms of fences and depending on the breed, on the bottom because many of them like to dig which is how so many escape/go missing. It's still the best place for them if the weather is right and the garden is secure.

No I know that, the sad face was because I was explaining the craziness of asking if it was a turtle or a tortoise, I thought it was more likely to be one rather than the other!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Sorry, my apologies! I took it to mean you were sad at the idea of someone having a tortoise in the garden :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

That is a yellow belly slider.

Aquatic turtle so you will need to keep her In the basin of water.

She needs heat! And a lot of it, she'll need a heat lamp and a uvb lamp - all tropical and sub tropical turtles need this.

She will grow to around 9"-12" depending and will eventually need a tank with a filter

Advertisement