Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing twin axle caravan??

Options
  • 01-03-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi
    Thinking of buying a caravan and was wondering what are the rules on towing a twin axle? Eg weight, 4x4, licence etc

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Check here http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Legal-Requirements-for-towing-trailers-/

Rules change by the new time and old/mis-information is rampant. Its all about weight not axles. 4X4 not required even though some think needed for twin axle, 4X4 would help with trailer not exceeding weight of vehicle, but might push your total combination weight over the limit.

Its a good idea to look at BE licence, prob not insured if not correctly licensed. Also look at http://www.whattowcar.com/ to get an idea of suitability.

Re twin axle, the shorthand is: more stable to tow (less chance of snaking), harder to manouvre (i.e. by hand), some makes (Hobby, Tabbert) have strong traveller association, not necessarily a plus re site owners!!, some continental sites dont allow twin axle as rip up the grass (when manouvering).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ds82

Thanks for the reply,
    Sounds like they are a lot more hassle then they are worth.
    I will mostly towing with a large van as I use the van for motorsport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

With modern tyres and stabilisers a single axle is better in most respects. Is the van branded if not I'd be prepared for an icy reception towing a caravan with a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ds82

Yes the van is branded it's actually converted to a 3 berth camper but I'm sure I'll get the icey reception anyway.
    Thanks for your help.

Ds82 wrote: »
    Yes the van is branded it's actually converted to a 3 berth camper but I'm sure I'll get the icey reception anyway.
    Thanks for your help.

If its just a couple of extra berths you need maybe a rooftent is an option? The maggiolina and barroud style ones are great, expensive new you can get them used for about £1000 or new knockoffs for £1500 http://www.adventurehire.co.uk/For-Sale/Roof-Tents/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

moodrater wrote: »
    If its just a couple of extra berths you need maybe a rooftent is an option? The maggiolina and barroud style ones are great, expensive new you can get them used for about £1000 or new knockoffs for £1500 http://www.adventurehire.co.uk/For-Sale/Roof-Tents/.

Very swish, but hard to justify £1,000 on a two man tent.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Very swish, but hard to justify £1,000 on a two man tent.

You can't pitch a 2 man tent in a carpark or on an aire.

If its a viable alternative to buying/towing/storing/maintaining a caravan and paying extra in fuel, clutch, tyres, brakes, suspension and campsite fees its pretty cheap.

There are cheaper tent alternatives but I like these as they are easier to put up and down, less likely to leak and theres a lot less wet canvas if it has to be folded away wet.

tent02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If its a viable alternative to buying/towing/storing/maintaining a caravan and paying extra in fuel, clutch, tyres, brakes, suspension and campsite fees its pretty cheap.

There are cheaper tent alternatives but I like these as they are easier to put up and down, less likely to leak and theres a lot less wet canvas if it has to be folded away wet.

Have you got one? It's hardly comparable to a caravan, it's a tent. I have seen similar with variations to include more creature comforts that would compare better to a caravan. Ideal for off road on top of the Land Rover or similar vehicle.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Have you got one? It's hardly comparable to a caravan, it's a tent. I have seen similar with variations to include more creature comforts that would compare better to a caravan. Ideal for off road on top of the Land Rover or similar vehicle.

I'm saving for one having looked at them in france. We spent 880 euro on campsites last summer in France just so our teenager could pitch a tent. With a rooftent we would have just stayed on the aires and saved a fortune.

I never implied it was a replacement for a caravan the op already has a camper van and I said 'if its just a couple of extra berths you need' and 'if its a viable option'

Most of the cheaper options are a glorified cotton tent on a sheet of ply in our climate we'd have to hoike it on and off the van which rules it out for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement