Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

next wheel upgrade opinions

• 01-03-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭

Well I've nearly 2years and the 3.5k kilometres on my mavic cosmic elites ...

Question is were do I go for here as an reasonable upgrade

Your opinions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

2.5k, barely run in.
    Upgrading from Cosmics, finding something suitable & worth upgrading to depends on weight, yours and what's required, what you want to use them for & lastly your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Campagnola Shamals. Fantastic wheels that are the next price range jump from the cosmics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Camoag Zondas or Shamals/Eurus if your budget allows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Was looking at shamal ultra(kids would have no food), and kysrium elites today in cycle superstore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Zonda for me bang for buck best value wheel out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yeah Zondas are a great wheel
    I picked up a set of Detec wheels for special occasions but day to day the Zondas are great

Would zondas be better than the cosmics elites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭topcat77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jackstaff wrote: »
    Would zondas be better than the cosmics elites

Yes lighter and better bearings.

Got a great price on detec 50mm carbon clinchers
    Any1 any experience guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Got a great price on detec 50mm carbon clinchers
    Any1 any experience guy

how much and where jackstaff?

how much and where jackstaff?
    when I get them tomorrow if your interested I could pm if that's allowed!!

I don't no if it's a 1 off either so don't wanna ruin it for meself mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

when I get them tomorrow if your interested I could pm if that's allowed!!

I don't no if it's a 1 off either so don't wanna ruin it for meself mate

sure pm me whenever, dont have the funds yet to whip the wheels out from under you ;) ive put about 10k kms into my cosmic elites now and starting club league soon considering an upgrade myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Zonda for me bang for buck best value wheel out there

I'm noticing a bit of play on the freehub of the Zondas I have - I wondered what others' experience was - wondering whether it is normal? It is a Shimano freehub on a 2014 Zonda. I know its not the cassette as I have stripped off the cassette and freehub and noticed the play on the freehub without the cassette. Comparing to a couple of other Mavic wheels, CXP22 and a Ksyrium Elite there seems to be more play. Anyone else seeing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

DaithiMC

Could be the bearings in your rear wheel that need changing. Have same wheel and there is a small bit of side to side play when you check it. Been told new wheel bearings will solve this so it's a job for good LBS. My wheel is 3 years old.

sure pm me whenever, dont have the funds yet to whip the wheels out from under you ;) ive put about 10k kms into my cosmic elites now and starting club league soon considering an upgrade myself.

My cosmics only have about 2.5k and will be available cheap tomorrow mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Borderfox wrote: »
    Yeah Zondas are a great wheel
    I picked up a set of Detec wheels for special occasions but day to day the Zondas are great

How are you finding the detecs , are they the same as mine ( u50)

joxerjohn wrote: »
    DaithiMC

Could be the bearings in your rear wheel that need changing. Have same wheel and there is a small bit of side to side play when you check it. Been told new wheel bearings will solve this so it's a job for good LBS. My wheel is 3 years old.

Cheers, when I get the time I am going to take a look at the axle bearings and probably invest the small amount in a new set, just in case. However, I think the movement I am seeing is in the freehub, i.e., I can grip the axle and try move that independently and it does not seem to have as much play. Probably should just take the wheel in to the LBS and get them to take a look - I don't want to admit defeat yet though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

sullzz wrote: »
    How are you finding the detecs , are they the same as mine ( u50)

I have the u80-u60 set, find them great. Nice speed on the flat and not too heavy to haul over the climbs. I have a rear zipp 440, and old one with the aluminium braking surface and it's fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hey, would the zondas be a good upgrade on fulcrum 7 wheels? Have a cube attempt and looking for a decent set of wheels. Downgrade the fulcrums to winter/ turbo wheels.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Ryath

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hey, would the zondas be a good upgrade on fulcrum 7 wheels? Have a cube attempt and looking for a decent set of wheels. Downgrade the fulcrums to winter/ turbo wheels.

thanks

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Zonda's are equivalent of Fulcrum 3's and a big upgrade. Did a lot of reading last year on wheels. They are generally considered the best bang for buck wheel, you you won't get a better wheel even spending €200 more. Swimcyclerun are great to deal with I had the wheels after 2 days!

Anybody got any nice wheels knocking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ryath wrote: »
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/wheelsroad/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset-with-shimano-hub.html

Zonda's are equivalent of Fulcrum 3's and a big upgrade. Did a lot of reading last year on wheels. They are generally considered the best bang for buck wheel, you you won't get a better wheel even spending €200 more. Swimcyclerun are great to deal with I had the wheels after 2 days!

I have some Zondas, very impressed with them, trouble free winter with them, took them racing on Saturday instead of the deep rims just to give them an outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My cosmics only have about 2.5k and will be available cheap tomorrow mate

Did you put them up for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Cheers, when I get the time I am going to take a look at the axle bearings and probably invest the small amount in a new set, just in case. However, I think the movement I am seeing is in the freehub, i.e., I can grip the axle and try move that independently and it does not seem to have as much play. Probably should just take the wheel in to the LBS and get them to take a look - I don't want to admit defeat yet though! :)

Ive only seen this post now.

Your problem may be simple to solve.
    On each hub, there is a small allen bolt. Loosen this bolt, then tighten the hub by hand . Hopefully the play will disappear, then retighten the allen bolt.

:)
    Did you put them up for sale?

Sold with my bike so I have a giant propel frame arriving next week and no wheels....

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ive only seen this post now.

Your problem may be simple to solve.
    On each hub, there is a small allen bolt. Loosen this bolt, then tighten the hub by hand . Hopefully the play will disappear, then retighten the allen bolt.

Cheers, but I identified the problem as the outer freehub-bearing. There is a lot of lateral play on it and when placing stress on the drivetrain with the chain off the centre of (low ring, small cogs, not completely crosschain) the cassette it was enough to brush against the axle lock-ring and transmit a nasty grinding sound through the frame. I don' t have tools to replace the bearing and the LBS quoted €130 and a new freehub is about €98 so it looks like that's the road to go.

Advertisement