Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console ever...

Options
  • 01-03-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

This topic has probably been discussed here before and if so feel free to close the thread.

While discussing our gaming history yesterday my brother and I decided to start the daunting task of listing every videogame we have owned or played.

Now I had long decided that the ps1 is my favourite console of all time but when we began listing the games we played on the ps1 it reminded me of just how many unbelievable the games that were released on it were and how vast a library the console had.

Before any thinks I'm a PlayStation fanboy, I have owned pretty much every console since the nes bar one or two and I also have to admit that for some reason the ps1 games are the ones that have aged the worse in my opinion.

So, what are your views and more importantly, what is the best console of all time and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PS2 for the balance of games it had.

I would love to say N64 but it had some **** fighting and racing games.

PS2 ticked most genres boxes and and had some top top games in all genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

PS2 all day. It was, and still is, an absolute monster. The sheer magnitude of fantastic games on that system is mind blowing. If I was trapped on a dessert island with only one gaming machine, the Playstation 2 would definitely be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Playstation 1 for me. I suppose im biased because it was the console that came along around about the time I had a little disposable income to buy my own games and was actually buying magazines and getting into it in a serious way.
    But I guess because of the real wow factor of 3d graphics, playing a type of game that was impossible on older consoles. The variety of games that came out for it and the "grown up" nature of so many of them. Metal Gear Solid is always at the forefront of my mind here. It was just incredible to play such a cinematic game at the time. Me and 2 friends all had PS1's and were playing through it at the same time. It blew us away. The advent of the cd-rom which dropped the price of games and introduced fmv and real audio.

The Ps2 and 3 built on all this as did plenty of other consoles in the following 20 years but PS1 was the game changer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's such a hard question. how do you qualify best? most games? quality of games? system specs? potential?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

It's such a hard question. how do you qualify best? most games? quality of games? system specs? potential?

the one you enjoyed the most. I'm loving the PS4 at the moment but it's too young in its life to call it a favourite. So many great memories of playing PS1, PS2, Mega Drive, NES, XBOX360 and N64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sega Gamegear

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SNES, hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The one I grew up with.

alt answer: The one I could afford games for.

TRUE ANSWER: ... PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In my time, I've discovered it's an easier job figuring out what doesn't have a chance at being on the list of all-time greats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I loved the dream cast, so many fun games.
    Shenmue ftw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Probably the PS2

But for the 16 bit generation the Snes and before that then the Atari 2600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

SNES for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

PS2. No other console comes near it for game quality and catalogue, for me.

Xbox 360. I've been there since day one in 2005. Great range of games, and (perhaps unfashionably) I love the achievements system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think gaming machine wise its the pc hands down, played so many good games since our first pc in 97.

If I had to choose a console it would be the ps3, its not very retro I know, but its the generation games became very good at story telling in general and had a big impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hands down wiiu.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

Ps1 all day ... Abes oddysee and crash bandicoot plus metal gear solid and many more.... What more could you ask for I still play them and think they have aged well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

PS2 I would also say. It had the market essentially all to itself meaning the quality of the games that were on it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Playstation 1, just the amount of games on it and the amount of PC ports on it at the time were amazing.

SNES in second place for me.

Xbox360 in 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hands down wiiu.

dont you need your hands up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

dont you need your hands up for that?

You're thinking of the Wii... :p

For me it's probably the GameCube, followed by the SNES but the Wii U is rapidly catching up! Honourable mention to the DS and PS3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

bah, foiled again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I loved my Sega Genesis. I also liked the SNES, but I unfortunately never owned one.

Quality days back then just renting out games from an absolute vast library of games from your local tape shop, or for me the Laser Disc shop... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I loved the Sega Genesis.

Another vote for the best Sega console :)

One of my favorites was SOR 2 (which I still play on xbox), and Ayrton Senna Super Monaco GP 2, which sadly I can only play through emulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

DS for me. Huge amount of absolutely essential games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Personally, it would probably be the PS1 or NDS.

Objectively, it would have to be the Wii, it bridged so many generations and opened gaming up to everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo DS for me. The library is just massive with so many excellent titles and so much variety. I've a massive library of 200+ DS games and most of them I've yet to start!

PS1 and 2 would be close behind that. PS2 was another console with great variety on it and the last console with a good mix of Western and Japanese games. The PS1 for different reasons. Lots of PS1 games have aged terribly and are near unplayable. However the PS1 heralded an era where a cheap entry level for developers created an environment that encouraged weird crazy inventiveness that even current indie games can't match.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Atari VCS or the PS2, both had massive impacts on the world of gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

PS2,with the SNES a very close second,super mario kart alone made that console worth owning for me!

Honorable mention for the Atari 2600,was the first console i owned. Well my sister owned it but i played the crap out of it. What a game Defender was

See they re released QBert recently,might be time to dust off the oul joystick,it even told you which end was the top:pac:

340632.jpg

Advertisement