Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console ever...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theshea

I've played most from the 2600 to the PS4 but it's between the SNES & PS3 for me.
    The SNES had amazing exclusive games - Mario Kart, Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Stunt Race FX, Donkey Kong Country, StarFox,
    The PS3 I would say I 've enjoyed more - Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, The Last Of Us, Uncharted series, FarCry 3 although most of these games are not exclusive.
    If I had to be stuck with one on an island....PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I loved the ps1 but when I got the ps2 and saw the difference I was blown away. I wanted to own every game I could for the ps2 and spent full days and weeks playing. San Andreas was a monster of a game. Never been the same with any other console since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

theshea wrote: »
    I've played most from the 2600 to the PS4 but it's between the SNES & PS3 for me.
    The SNES had amazing exclusive games - Mario Kart, Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda - A Link to the Past, Stunt Race FX, Donkey Kong Country, StarFox,
    The PS3 I would say I 've enjoyed more - Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, The Last Of Us, Uncharted series, FarCry 3 although most of these games are not exclusive.
    If I had to be stuck with one on an island....PS3

Welcome, first post woooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

The PS2 if we are talking a desert island console, huge library, every genre covered, fantastic.

However, I adore the Dreamcast, it pretty much only had 2 years in existence in Europe but what a 2 years, SEGA were belting out the quality games then at a frightening pace and quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ouya

/Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can someone point me in the direction of a list of essential DS games? I don't expect yee to type them out but I'm sure I have missed a few for my want list. All genres welcome.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Can someone point me in the direction of a list of essential DS games? I don't expect yee to type them out but I'm sure I have missed a few for my want list. All genres welcome.

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-ds-games/

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/08/08/the-top-25-nintendo-ds-games-2?page=1

some inspiration there...

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

EoinHef wrote: »
    PS2,with the SNES a very close second,super mario kart alone made that console worth owning for me!

Honorable mention for the Atari 2600,was the first console i owned. Well my sister owned it but i played the crap out of it. What a game Defender was

340632.jpg

For me SNES by far followed by PS1, so many games on the SNES that blew me away at the time.

My elder brother had an Atari 2600 too which I was only allowed to play when supervised. Loved defender too (until a friend fooked it up by taking the catridge out before switching the power off :mad:) and mission command.

Would put the zx spectrum above PS1 but I guess that's not a console one's imagination really makes up for the deficiencies in graphics those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Xbox 360. I've been there since day one in 2005. Great range of games, and (perhaps unfashionably) I love the achievements system.

My 360 Elite has been performing perfectly since the summer of 2008 so it gets my vote for value for money and enjoyment.

An honourable mention for the PS2 as it was through playing my flatmate's one that got me into console gaming in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ouya

/Thread

More like Ouno....amIright?

No, really, guys, amIright?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

As a a console i think the original Xbox, easily moddable, better graphics than PS2, Half Life 2 even looked pretty good on it(yes HL2 was on the origina xbox), hard drive, Halo. Could play music from your HD in your car in GTA. Can use as a media center and play any emulator from nes to N64. So good i bought 2 for 15e each and can stream anything on my network just by soft modding it with a dodgy save file from splinter cell. Can do that with anything these days but back in 2006 it was amazing to me. Shortcomings was lack of games.

For games id say PS2, amazing collection, but dem jags, see a PS2 game on PC with anti-aliasing and its a gigantic difference, and its such a shame the designers must have been pissed when they saw those textures they worked so hard on so hard turned into jag city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Wii, I played games with my kids, Mario, or Mario Party or Wii Party or boomblocks and I could play with my Dad on Wii Sports, or I could sit there, half cut with my brothers using the wiimote as a thing to hit our imaginary horse on G1 Jockey or blasting bad guys with our plastic guns in Ghost Squad. I could even endure the kids playing horrendous titles like Carnival Games, or less horrendous Mysims games because they loved it, still do.

Or I could play by myself, Zack and Wiki or Zelda or De Blob.

I still have my wii sitting in my front room, it still gets regular airings when we can still sit down and play games together while the kids are still young enough to want to. It shares my familiy's downtime with the PS3, Android tablets, Netflix and the PC but it still gets a look in enough to justify its place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dont you need your hands up for that?

It's the WiiU, the big gap in game releases would likely mean your hands will be down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Where's the neo-geo love???????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

this thing...
    8b93fae587d4780a06c27d78ad77d007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only ever had two consoles in between PCs, the SNES and the Amiga 64. Obviously after owning an Amiga 64 I never wanted to own another console, and to this day I've never even considered owning another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

ScumLord wrote: »
    I only ever had two consoles in between PCs, the SNES and the Amiga 64. Obviously after owning an Amiga 64 I never wanted to own another console, and to this day I've never even considered owning another one.

The Amiga, alongside the Atari ST, were absolutely awesome - introduced me to the point and click genre that was Monkey Island, and many MANY classic games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When I first played Monkey Island, it looked like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

SNES for me. It holds most of the best memories of gaming I have and the library, of any days standards, was incredible. Not just memories that's driving that opinion though, the machine itself, the control pad and the library were all top notch. There's still SNES games I'm discovering to this day, I don't think I'll ever have the need or want to do the same on any of this era's consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love them all, and still have them all, but the sad truth is that the PS2 simply knocks it out of the park in terms of sheer breadth of content.
    The Snes has some of the most classic games of all time, the PS2 has nothing to compete with Super Mario World or Super Metroid for example, but then the PS2 is host to the likes of Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Ibara.
    Buy or mod a PS2 into region free land and you are looking at a console whose game library you will never ever finish collecting for, even if you start RIGHT NOW!
    I have a 250+ collection of PS2 titles and I'm still no where close to owning everything I'd like for the system, and that's not including the games I don't have a taste for, like the Disgaea titles.

What's an Amiga 64 BTW?
    I know the Amiga 500, 600 and 1200, I have an Amiga 32, and I've come across the Amiga CDTV, but the Amiga 64 is unknown to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's an Amiga 64 BTW?
    I know the Amiga 500, 600 and 1200, I have an Amiga 32, and I've come across the Amiga CDTV, but the Amiga 64 is unknown to me.
    I meant the Amiga 32. I thought it was a 64bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

It's interesting reading everyone's opinion and the most evident thing of all is that there is not one single console that can be called the best console ever. There is a vast array of nominations here from the amigas to snes to ps2 to even the wii.

Personally for whatever reason, the ps2 would not make my top 3 favourite consoles and that's despite owning quite a few games on it. I can't put my finger on it but I found the ps1 and the 360 to hold better gaming memories for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I'd saw the Commodore Amiga, before graphics cards came along it was the most capable games machine by far.
    But if were strictly talking consoles it has to be the psx, it marked one of the biggest advances in gaming, anything since is just a minor upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For me my favorite was probably the Xbox original, as a die-hard PC Gamer I never bothered much with consoles until that point -I did own them the whole way through, but they always were secondary - and Halo blew me away. People often say 'it only seemed good to non PC Gamers', but I was a major PC Gamer and that game and subsequent sequels to this very day are my favorite FPS multiplayer games ever. It also brought proper, reliable and well designed mass online game play.

Xbox 360 is up there as well.

From a totally objective point of view I would imagine the PS2 to be fair, even though I never really was interested in it personally. They really knocked it out of the park with that console, it's about as close to perfection relative to the time that I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I do like these kinds of discussion. it's a long way away from the bitching and bickering about consoles you get in other parts of the web. Every console is at least somebodies favorite, and almost all have at least some redeeming feature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could never give let the PS3 or 360 near my best console ever. That was the point when all the variety just leaked out of the console industry for me. The PS3 ended up as a much better console than the 360 but I really miss that variety that the PS1 and PS2 era gave us. The DS seemed to take over there for a while but the handheld market is really only being sustained by Nintendo after the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Keyinn7

Gameboy colour. I'm not going to explain why. People know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think the ps1 was my favourite console, as I can't remember any other console providing me with as much enjoyment, crash, spyro, res evil, syphonfilter, all the fifa and the wrestling games, the abes odessey demo! it's prob because I was young and not critical of any game, just happy to play it. In saying that playing "The last of us" on the ps4 reminded me of those days, the sheer enjoyment I got out of it was unreal!

The game cube is also a great console with so many fantastic fun games, loved the simple controller. Me and all my mates spent all of one summer just playing mario cart and NBA 03!

Xbox one wa any least favourite, I was never a fan of first person shooters anyway so halo didn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS3 ended up as a much better console than the 360

As a matter of interest, how did you come to that conclusion? Not bickering or anything, genuinely I never thought the ps3 was seen as a much better console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

ScumLord wrote: »
    I meant the Amiga 32. I thought it was a 64bit.

The CD32 ?

cd32_2.jpg

It was an object of desire when I was a young fella ! I managed to get an A1200 with a CD drive which could play some of the games. It was probably the better machine though considering it got me into computers in a big way !

Advertisement