Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console ever...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

My favourite so far has been the ps3 cos it's the one I played the most variation of games on and finally got into shoot em ups.
    Had ps2 and 1 but just couldn't stop playing evo on either console. I played it almost exclusively for nearly 7 years.
    Cut my teeth on the mega drive and still have a soft spot for it though really regret not owning a snes. Think at the end of console time the snes might just punch it. Used to hire it out now and again and it just had this magic feeling to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The original Playstation for me, when it came out the first time I fired up Crash Bandicoot I was flabbergasted at the graphics. I had so many great gaming moments with that machine. Loads of great games. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Soft spot for the C64 tbh with games like Terminator 2, Creatures etc.

PS1 brought me FF7,8,9. MGS, Resident Evil.

However, PS2 brought me PES, MGS3, FF10, Silent Hill 2, SOTC, ICO.

I have probbaly made a better fist of the PS3 tbh. Fallout, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted 2, Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite.

Fair bit of multiplatform on there for PS3 which probably reinforces Retr0's point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I always tend to lump the PS1 and PS2 together, as they felt like very pure experiences before the interwebs and split screen gaming starting declining. A an amazing 10+years

The original Playstation had the greatest trilogy of all time, FFVII-IX. Square could try to make a turd those days and it would still end up being a classic

But jesus the PS2 was the like the most prefect storm of a situation that O have ever seen, it was doing pretty slow at for the first year and then Christmas rolled around and all this appeared. Who knew what the 3rd installment of GTA was going to do? A moderately successful series of games to this point. The lineup is disgustingly good and it all delivered on the hype and more. Almost all want on to define their genres for years to come. All this in 3 months

large.jpg

0de7e57572e22b6e4c77ed24f6884065.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

When I initially saw the thread title my head said PS2 but my heart said Gamecube.

PS2 speaks for itself but I have a soft spot for the GC. I was (am?) a huge Resident Evil fan and the remake, 0 (which I really liked) and 4 all debuted on it. Loved Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Zelda Four Swords, Wind Waker, Lost Kingdoms, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX and a load of Jap import titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Sega Megadrive did a lot to bring gaming into the mainstream youth culture imo. Before that console hit, it was ok to hang out in a video arcade but if you had a game machine at home you were seen as a bit of a geek....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,627 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

SNES CUBE WII PS2 All the best thing ever.

WiiU will be in that list as long as it's Zelda is as good as a regular Zelda.

Never got a ps3 (intentionally, too much time spent playing already), but really want one. Does PS4 play all PS3 games?

Might stick on the old PS2 for a while. To this day I've a load of unplayed classics i never got round to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Adamantium wrote: »
    I always tend to lump the PS1 and PS2 together, as they felt like very pure experiences before the interwebs and split screen gaming starting declining. A an amazing 10+years

The original Playstation had the greatest trilogy of all time, FFVII-IX. Square could try to make a turd those days and it would still end up being a classic

But jesus the PS2 was the like the most prefect storm of a situation that O have ever seen, it was doing pretty slow at for the first year and then Christmas rolled around and all this appeared. Who knew what the 3rd installment of GTA was going to do? A moderately successful series of games to this point. The lineup is disgustingly good and it all delivered on the hype and more. Almost all want on to define their genres for years to come. All this in 3 months

large.jpg

0de7e57572e22b6e4c77ed24f6884065.gif

The PS2 had so many exclusives, in such numbers, great games from big budget AAA titles to indie releases brought from Japan, it was so bloody good.
    With many of the best on other consoles making the trip as well, from Resident Evil 4 to Sega Rally, just a brilliant machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I was 10 or 11 and had my heart set on a Sega Saturn. I was secretly devastated on Christmas morning when there was a ps1 under the tree. Needless to say that completely changed and games like ff7, gta and tomb raider were amazing at the time.

I went for a Dreamcast after and it was great too but the ps1 was superb.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

deathrider wrote: »
    If I was trapped on a dessert island with only one gaming machine, the Playstation 2 would definitely be it.

Why not an Xbox 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4 so that you can use the internet to contact someone to come and rescue you.

Also, wouldn't you need a T.V. and a power supply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

da gamer wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how did you come to that conclusion? Not bickering or anything, genuinely I never thought the ps3 was seen as a much better console.

Well for the first couple of years the 360 was a far better console with better exclusives and third party titles that didn't suffer from horrendous technical issues. However Sony ended up getting some good support from smaller Japanese developers, third party games started to suck less on the PS3 and they started putting out their own great exclusives.Iin the last 2 or 3 years I just found the PS3 a much better console and my 360 has been left unloved. Microsoft kind of dropped the ball with the 360 and would release 1 or 2 exclusives a year, all aimed at the 'bro' market with the rest being Kinect rubbish. They just completely dropped the system when the XBox One arrived while the PS3 still has some amazing games on the way from smaller japanese developers who aren't quite ready to move on and need the bigger install base of the PS3 to get the sales they need.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Adamantium wrote: »
    Square could try to make a turd those days and it would still end up being a classic

Spoken like someone that has never played Saga Frontier or Xenogears!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The PS2.
    Silent Hill 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Devil May Cry 1&3
    Final Fantasy X
    ICO
    Shadow of the Colossus
    The GTAs
    Burnout
    Pro Evo 4,5 &6
    The list is nearly endless. Built like a tank too, I bought mine in 2001 and it still works.

The list is nearly endless. Built like a tank too, I bought mine in 2001 and it still works.

Not for most people. I'm on my third PS2. Awful built quality on those machines, the DVD drives on early models are terrible. You must have gotten lucky because Sony even lost a class action suit in the US over the bad build quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not for most people. I'm on my third PS2. Awful built quality on those machines, the DVD drives on early models are terrible. You must have gotten lucky because Sony even lost a class action suit in the US over the bad build quality.

But not as lousy as the 360, the first ones internals must have been designed to fail because that's all they did!
    I know the PS3 had it's issues but nothing like the scale of the 360. Even when it worked my launch console sounded like a cross channel hovercraft during play!
    Don't think the Wii has the same sort of failure rate, but then Nintendo build things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The original Playstation for me. Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider 2 (best in the series for me), Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy VII and IX (I wasn't a big fan of VIII), Destruction Derby, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo... all bring back fond memories.

My personal favourite was ISS Pro '98. My favourite soccer game ever and arguably my favourite game. Spent a full Summer playing endless World Cups on it with friends.

Edit: forgot to mention a couple of others like G-Police, the original Medal of Honor and Resident Evil.

I dunno about that. You sure say it alot but m 2001 machine still works!

Lemlin wrote: »
    The original Playstation for me. Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider 2 (best in the series for me), Twisted Metal, Final Fantasy VII and IX (I wasn't a big fan of VIII), Destruction Derby, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo... all bring back fond memories.

My personal favourite was ISS Pro '98. My favourite soccer game ever and arguably my favourite game. Spent a full Summer playing endless World Cups on it with friends.

Edit: forgot to mention a couple of others like G-Police, the original Medal of Honor and Resident Evil.

At the same time, they all work on the PS2, further cementing that console as the best of all!
    The PS also hosts Raiden Project, RType Delta, Einhander, Pocket Fighter and Roll cage 2!

noodler wrote: »
    I dunno about that. You sure say it alot but m 2001 machine still works!

You might have gotten lucky or not have played your console as much as me but there's a lot more evidence to the contrary:

http://www.bigclassaction.com/settlement/ps2.php

Even then I'd put money on the laser on your drive not being able to read blue CD discs or DVD9 games. I've a Hard Drive installed in my current console just so I can avoid the flaky DVD drive issues again.

Saying that the PS1 was an even bigger disaster of a console and I'm on my third one of them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

You might have gotten lucky or not have played your console as much as me but there's a lot more evidence to the contrary:

Even then I'd put money on the laser on your drive not being able to read blue CD discs or DVD9 games. I've a Hard Drive installed in my current console just so I can avoid the flaky DVD drive issues again.

Saying that the PS1 was an even bigger disaster of a console and I'm on my third one of them as well.

I went through three original XBoxes in three and a half years. The first one died after only a week!

My first XBox 360 barely lasted a year before it RROD-ed on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me i'll rank them in terms of total enjoyment, the wow factor (for it's time) and amount of quality games and endless hours spent gaming

1 - SNES (nothing comes close, too many games to mention)
    2 - PS1 (ridge racer, wip3out, Final Fantasy 7, Tekken, Silent Hill, Resident Evil and countless more)

3 - Sega Dreamcast (ahead of it's time, some amazing classics)
    4 - PS2 (refined the ps1 era but just not with the same initial wow factor)
    5 - N64 (fantastic games, game engines were a bit limited to the one style)
    6 - Xbox360 (some great games, it nailed online play but too much fps and sports titles as well as poor build quality prevent it from going any higher)
    7 - PS4 (some very good games, may move up my list as time goes on, underpowered for it's era).
    8 - Gamecube (some fantastic titles just not enough of them)
    9 - PS3 (some amazing games, machine only came to life in the last few years)
    10 - Xbox Original (some good games, great graphics, proved that MS could be taken seriously as a console manufacturer.

Consoles not not in my list
    1 - SEGA megadrive - I was a kid at the time so didnt have money for it since i already owned a SNES.
    2 - Sega Saturn - seemed vastly inferior to the PS1 during the lead up to the 32bit era. For me the PS1 floored it from day 1 in terms of graphics and quality games.
    3 - Wii - too much of a gimmick, vastly underpowered for its time
    4 - Wii U - some great games, still on the fence about buying one, if only they will lower the price some more.
    5 - Xbox One - so far nothing worth buying for, exclusives so far don't interest me, vastly underpowered. maybe in time it may shine.

Yeah but there are also 160m PS2s out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Should have added a poll.

But for what it's worth, Playstation 2....by a long way

Yeah but there are also 160m PS2s out there!

Yeah but how many are still working :)

The PS3 has had quite the comeback, from a diabolical start, over priced, terrible launch lineup, awful ad campaign, dreadful ports.
    And over the past years it's had the best exclusives, improving online service, more reliable console revisions, great innovation with the PS+ service.
    And the 360 just seemed to have squandered it's early lead and the exclusives just dried up.
    I think the last one I bought there was a Gears of War game and Halo 4.
    Sony never ever produced a system exclusive FPS for the PS2 or PS3, while MS seemed to define a generation with the Halo titles.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The PS3 has had quite the comeback, from a diabolical start, over priced, terrible launch lineup, awful ad campaign, dreadful ports.
    And over the past years it's had the best exclusives, improving online service, more reliable console revisions, great innovation with the PS+ service.
    And the 360 just seemed to have squandered it's early lead and the exclusives just dried up.
    Sony never ever produced a system exclusive FPS for the PS2 or PS3, while MS seemed to define a generation with the Halo titles.

Resistance? Killzone?

Go home Ciderman, you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Well they had Killzone and Resistance.

I would include their marketing campaign too, Kevin Butler was a stroke of genius. Although Marcus was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Resistance? Killzone?

Go home Ciderman, you're drunk.

Also Haze.

Apart from Resistance, Killzone and Haze the PS3 had nothing else.

...MAG.

Apart from Resistance, Killzone, Haze and MAG the PS3 had absolutely zero exclusive FPSs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Also Haze.

...MAG.

Apart from Resistance, Killzone, Haze and MAG the PS3 had absolutely zero exclusive FPSs. :D

Ah, I'd say he meant games that are looked back on as legendary, like halo is (fwiw I've always felt that the halo series is massively overrated).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Also Haze.

...MAG.

Jaysus that haze was some pile of poo

Advertisement