Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I be entitled to rent allowance?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hello
    I am 26 years of age and i earn about 250 to 275 a week. I live in roscrea with my parents but was was looking to move out on my own and rent a place in portlaoise. I was just wondering if i would b entitled to rent allowance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mutant wrote: »
    Hello
    I am 26 years of age and i earn about 250 to 275 a week. I live in roscrea with my parents but was was looking to move out on my own and rent a place in portlaoise. I was just wondering if i would b entitled to rent allowance.

No. You have to be renting privately for six months or have exceptional circumstances. "looking to move out on your own" is not a good enough reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mutant wrote: »
    Hello

How many hours per week do you work?

If it's more than 30, then you're not eligible for RA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you've the guts of 2k saved up (think of that gaming laptop that you're proposing to buy)- surely a better use of your funds would be to establish the 6 month's private renting in order to qualify for scheme payments?

You need to prioritise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Or maybe rent privately and stay renting privately and not take RA off someone who genuinely needs it. If you can't support yourself outside of your parents house it's not time to leave yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Or maybe rent privately and stay renting privately and not take RA off someone who genuinely needs it. If you can't support yourself outside of your parents house it's not time to leave yet.
    To be honest the OP is the type of person Ireland needs more of...working close to welfare levels of pay (and would almost certainly be financially better off on welfare when all the perks are factored in) but (presumably) has more personal pride in themselves than to "opt-out" of working, so I'm reluctant to have a go at them. There are many many people in the OP's position who simply choose a 100% welfare funded lifestyle, which hurts society a LOT more than someone working and looking for some help along the way.

I firmly believe Ireland largely encourages the wrong sort of person with state payments and the OP is the type of person who perhaps should be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

murphaph wrote: »
    To be honest the OP is the type of person Ireland needs more of...working close to welfare levels of pay (and would almost certainly be financially better off on welfare when all the perks are factored in) but (presumably) has more personal pride in themselves than to "opt-out" of working, so I'm reluctant to have a go at them. There are many many people in the OP's position who simply choose a 100% welfare funded lifestyle, which hurts society a LOT more than someone working and looking for some help along the way.

I firmly believe Ireland largely encourages the wrong sort of person with state payments and the OP is the type of person who perhaps should be encouraged.

They should not be encouraged on to RA. You don't leave home until you can support yourself. One's parents should be making sure their child (to the best of their ability) is prepared for later life. In my case that wasn't university (although I did go) it was instilling a working class work ethic and to do without until I could afford it.

I'm not trying to put down people who genuinely fall on hard times and need support. They've paid into the system but to encourage someone to move out with a plan to get RA to me is simply wrong. Ironically if the OP is working full time and finding it hard to make ends meet it's probably due to the imposition of the current tax rate which, inter alia, is funding the bonkers RA system.

It's not a carrot needed for people like the OP, it's a massive stick for the people you mention. IMHO and my upbringing was that making a go of it yourself was it's own reward.

That said I do understand where you're coming from to a certain extent and given a different set of facts I might agree, not on first moves from home though, unless there are issues with abuse etc.

Advertisement