Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas Thompson & Son

Options
  • 02-03-2015 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

I've no experience with the company, but it is/was the business to be involved in back in the day.

I remember when the Hanover Works were going strong on Kennedy avenue.

SuperQuin or whatever are on the site now.

Does anybody on here have any insights on this Original Victorian & innovative engineering company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They manufactured and installed the millennium bridge over the Liffey in Dublin.

Check out the website http://www.thompson.ie/structural-division/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

ken wrote: »
    They manufactured and installed the millennium bridge over the Liffey in Dublin.

Check out the website http://www.thompson.ie/structural-division/index.htm

Cool. Are there any posters out there who worked in this place or posters whose Dads worked there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They owned land all around the town including the site at Hanover where Aldi and Costa coffee is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

A lot of the overhead gantries on the motorways were also fabricated and installed by Thompsons. As previously stated they are significant landowners and landlords around Carlow and of course a certain presenter with RTE is related to them.

As to their business conduct I think you may find a mixed bag of opinions upon that depending upon whether or not they shafted that business during their more inclement periods.

Advertisement