Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing A Watch

• 02-03-2015 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a watch from a U.S. website.

Would I be right in saying that I will have to pay import duty when the watch arrives?

Has anyone had any experience with import duty on a watch. How can I calculate what import duty I will have to pay (if applicable), thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭breakemall

oo7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a watch from a U.S. website.

Would I be right in saying that I will have to pay import duty when the watch arrives?

Has anyone had any experience with import duty on a watch. How can I calculate what import duty I will have to pay (if applicable), thank you.

I got a watch from the US last November, it came by FedEx and three weeks later I got an invoice for the tax plus a 20% service charge for administering it. Previously when I bought stuff from the US the vat (and do not forget there may be excise duty also because it is outside the EU) was calculated by the courier (including An Post) and was payable on delivery. So do not worry about calculating what is due, it will be done for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

You can use this site to get an idea how much VAT and duty if applicable will be. Considering the exchange rate between the $ to € it may not be much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Cool, thanks for your help.

Does the import duty only apply if it is coming from the U.S.?

If I bought the watch from a UK website, do you know if additional taxes / import duties are applied too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

oo7 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for your help.

Does the import duty only apply if it is coming from the U.S.?

If I bought the watch from a UK website, do you know if additional taxes / import duties are applied too?

You only have to take that into consideration when ordering from outside the EU.

Ordering from the UK would not incur such costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

You only have to take that into consideration when ordering from outside the EU.

Ordering from the UK would not incur such costs.

Great, that's what I was thinking. Thank you for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement