Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car egged whilst driving.

Options
  • 02-03-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Just a quick warning for anyone driving late at night.

On saturday night, around 11.30pm, I was driving down Botanic Avenue in Drumcondra and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something coming flying towards my car, accompanied by a loud bang.

My windscreen was egged badly. I couldn't see, but something told me not to stop so I kept on driving, looking thru a small clear gap in the windscreen. It wasn't safe to do so, but I didn't fancy stopping on my own and trying to clear the screen. You hear of the horror stories sometimes!

My car is now destroyed for other eggs that hit my car, resulting in the paint being stripped from my car.

Just thought I would let you know to keep and eye out and be careful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

might be worthwhile mentioning this to the local garda station?
    Someone could get seriously injured from this kind of carry on.

Glad you were ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Thanks for letting people know particularly re not pulling over, wouldn't have occurred to me to keep driving. Definitely report to the police, very dangerous situation to be in. Insurance should cover your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Happened to me a while ago driving back from the airport. I was on the M50, north of the toll, heading south, doing 100km/h. A van in the middle lane pulled alongside with someone hanging out the passenger window, shouted something and then threw 2 eggs at the windscreen. Initially didn't know what it was, but couldn't see at all. Luckily it was after 11pm, so the M50 was pretty clear. At that speed it could have turned into a very nasty accident had I slammed on or swerved out of lane.

Reported it at the time, but unfortunately only got a partial licence plate, so I doubt they could do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Well I am pregnant so my heart stopped with the noise of the bang and got so angry that I could have crashed the car.

My reason to keep driving was I read a few times before that egging a car is one of the key tactics for carjacking, with the theory being, once the egg hits the glass, the driver will spray the screen with water, which will make the screen completely foamed, forcing the driver to pull over and providing the perfect opportunity for the egg thrower to carjack you.

So do not pull over and do not spray the screen with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

It happened me a few years ago, didnt hit the windscreen, got the passenger window. When I heard the bang I almost swerved. I cant imagine it would have been a car jacking, I think it was just kids messing. As my windscreen wasnt obscured I continued and pulled in at a garage a bit further on to clean the passenger side, the paint remained marked forever after it.

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    It happened me a few years ago, didnt hit the windscreen, got the passenger window. When I heard the bang I almost swerved. I cant imagine it would have been a car jacking, I think it was just kids messing. As my windscreen wasnt obscured I continued and pulled in at a garage a bit further on to clean the passenger side, the paint remained marked forever after it.

11.30pm doubt it was kids, but just thought it wasn't something I wanted to get out an investigate, particulary a pregnant woman by herself.

Just didn' want to take any chances :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

cruais wrote: »
    11.30pm doubt it was kids, but just thought it wasn't something I wanted to get out an investigate, particulary a pregnant woman by herself.

Just didn' want to take any chances :)

Oh god yes, sorry I was only referring to the incident that happened me re carjacking.

Yours sounds far more worrying. Hope youre ok after it, definitely let the guards know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You must contact gardai about this, it's a serious matter. Gluck with babs by the way.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Oh god yes, sorry I was only referring to the incident that happened me re carjacking.

Yours sounds far more worrying. Hope youre ok after it, definitely let the guards know.

Sorry my post came across wrong there! I wasn't being sarcy I swear :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

contact the gaurds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

cruais wrote: »
    Just a quick warning for anyone driving late at night.

On saturday night, around 11.30pm, I was driving down Botanic Avenue in Drumcondra and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something coming flying towards my car, accompanied by a loud bang.

My windscreen was egged badly. I couldn't see, but something told me not to stop so I kept on driving, looking thru a small clear gap in the windscreen. It wasn't safe to do so, but I didn't fancy stopping on my own and trying to clear the screen. You hear of the horror stories sometimes!

My car is now destroyed for other eggs that hit my car, resulting in the paint being stripped from my car.

Just thought I would let you know to keep and eye out and be careful!

It was 3 teenagers on bikes

My other halfs car was also hit by and egg in this area Saturday evening about 9pm. She got a real fright, they blocked the road in front of her with their bikes so she had to stop the car, they then fired an egg at the car, missed the windscreen and burst on the roof. She was a bit shaken, more so by the fact the prevented her from being able to drive away

reported it to police

Unfortunately they were gone when I got there shortly afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

strangely enough I had an egg fecked at my car last weekend in hanover dock....missed.Thinks its just scrotes acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op did you not wash it off right away?

Its like bird sh1t if it is not cleaned off it will destroy paint.
    Also don't use wipers unless you have plenty of water as it will smear and block vision.

Have been egged many times also hit with stones, ice balls, fruit and other stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

they should bring back this punishment

give them a taste of their own medicine

Op did you not wash it off right away?

Its like bird sh1t if it is not cleaned off it will destroy paint.
    Also don't use wipers unless you have plenty of water as it will smear and block vision.

Have been egged many times also hit with stones, ice balls, fruit and other stuff.

Yes, got it down to the car wash straight away. I took the main mess off with tissue first and then stuck it in the car wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Only one thing to say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Drumcondra Mafia?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Drumcondra Mafia?

Drumcondra idiots?

Advertisement