Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beck dublin june 17th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Great gig. Him and band were spot on with set list I felt. Played something from almost all his albums as I recall and interacted with the crowd.

Not sure how Johnny greenwood got a support act with him to be honest. While beck and most of his fans would have a fairly out there musical taste, this project just did not suit an outdoor mid-week gig. It has its place somewhere alright, but better off keeping it in movies where it was composed for. And that's coming from a radiohead fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Johnny greenwood orchestra was lost and a waste of time to be honest... someone/band playing a bit of melody would have been better. Beck was brilliant, band was as tight as you'd expect... BUT .. it was way to short. He was only getting rocking and it was over. with a catalogue as big as he has another 30 mins would have been a walk in the park for him. Great gig, to short

Gig was great, ideally I would have liked to have heard more from the latest album. And I'm disappointed he didn't play "Girl", which he does usually do. But other than that I can't have any complaints!

"E-Pro" and "Loser" were a lot of fun, as expected. Was surprised at how cool "Hell Yes" was live though - it's not a song I had paid much attention to before but hearing it live has definitely made me appreciate it more.

The real goosebump moment though was "Lost Cause" - amazing song, so glad I got to hear it live!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

aint no party like a beck party , loved it from start to finish , finished bang on the kilmanium curfew

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought the gig was awfully short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

I second that.. for a standalone gig it was over very quickly. even encore was short.

good gig with all the hits but a little rushed?

just the 2 songs from Morning phase as far as i recall

Nice to hear Timebomb in there though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

The gig was supposed to start about a half an hour earlier than it did, think he didnt get on stage until about 9:15, which means it was about 30 minutes shorter than it could have been

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The gig was supposed to start about a half an hour earlier than it did, think he didnt get on stage until about 9:15, which means it was about 30 minutes shorter than it could have been

That's a shame. I was thinking about other songs I would loved to hear, enough for another set!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

how long was he on stage for folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I live nearby and could hear the concert pretty well, started around 9:15, finished about 10:20, had an encore and was finally done by 10:35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This seems to be a growing and worrying trend in this country whereby artists think that they can charge 50-60 euro for a gig and play for 75-80 minutes.

Call me old fashioned but if I'm paying that sort of money and going to the trouble of traveling and taking time off I expect a gig of at least 100 minutes or preferably 2 hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

retalivity wrote: »
    I live nearby and could hear the concert pretty well, started around 9:15, finished about 10:20, had an encore and was finally done by 10:35

jasus thats short alright. 10.30 curfew i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

peteeeed wrote: »
    aint no party like a beck party , loved it from start to finish , finished bang on the kilmanium curfew
    Do you have a source for that? This documents suggests it was 11, not 10:30 http://dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/WeeklyPlanningLists/Documents/OEL_04_2015.pdf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do you have a source for that? This documents suggests it was 11, not 10:30 http://dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/WeeklyPlanningLists/Documents/OEL_04_2015.pdf

It definitely finished before 10:30, I was at home and showering up before 11 (I live in D8).

was just going on previous years they are normally finish between 10:30 and 10:45

i loved last night , never understand why people base their gig on how long the band was on for , they played for about 1hr 25 and rocked every minute of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It definitely finished before 10:30, I was at home and showering up before 11 (I live in D8).

Oh I know, I meant was the curfew definitely 10:30. I was expecting it to be 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Couldn't fault the gig, performance was fantastic, one of the best I've ever seen by anyone, unlike some on here I thought the duration was fine, I don't care for long gigs anyway just good ones. Even the stuff I didn't recognise was brilliant, "Sexx Laws" seemed to have got the best response and it was a smashing version. The "support band" was a total bore, nothing wrong with the music but more suited for the NCH, someone like "Villagers" would have been more appropriate, in Sweden its Pet Shop Boys, I'm not huge fan but much more appropriate than chamber music. I think Beck is the best music artist of his generation, NO one does the depth and breath of genres he does as good, he does folk, rock, pop, country, electro and hip hop and makes them his own, not in a forced way but because he obviously loves them and is influenced by them, I'd say only Bowie is in his class for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Echo everyones sentiments in that it was an amazing gig. My first time seeing them and I loved how much of a showman Beck is. The duration didn't bother me too much, we left with big smiles on our faces, and thats good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

great gig, but my complaint at it being to short is out of a want to see more... seen him 3 times now and hes always superb. 60-75mins isnt enough to be headlining a gig. Consider how long Bruce plays for as an old man...
    nonetheless, rather be left wanting more than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

3 hours is a bore, don't know why people expect it, 2 hours at the most is way more than enough.

• Advertisement

3 hours is a bore, don't know why people expect it, 2 hours at the most is way more than enough.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'd be expecting 1 hour 45 thereabouts minimum for a gig priced €60 by an artist with a massive back catalogue. Maybe his back injury has stopped him doing longer shows? Either way, kinda glad I didn't go as it sounds like much the same as EP last year(which was incredible it must be said). I was hoping for more from the man on his own terms.

Advertisement