Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My1000Hours 5k/10k

Options
  • 02-03-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Has anyone signed up for this?
    I have but precious little info on it so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I have, it'll be my first 10k in 2 years, just got back into running a couple of months ago. at least the weather is supposed to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Signed up for it too, in early Jan & was already too late for numbers to be posted so have to collect on morning at 8:45 - those details are in the booking email. The course is up on their website, appears to be 2 laps of same route for the 10k which may get a bit confusing. Not a lot of information available on it really, lets just hope the weather is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

I did this last year, and I'm signed up again this year. The prospect of meeting Bressie after his feature in Irish Runner... :rolleyes:

Last year's run was on Sun 09/03. They sent an email on 07/03 with details. I'm sure a similar email will be sent again this year. Here is last year's email. Some details may be different this year.
    Welcome to the FIT City Series
    We hope you're all looking forward to this Sundays event!
    Below is some important information so please read it carefully.

The event is on the 9th of March in the Phoenix Park.
    THE 5KM RACE STARTS AT 10:00AM SHARP!
    THE 10KM RACE STARTS AT 10:20AM SHARP!
    You are advised to be at the race area an hour before your start time if you already have your number.
    IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR NUMBER BEFORE SUNDAY THEN PLEASE ARRIVE at 8:30am to collect it from the information tent at the start line.
    If you have been sent multiple numbers registered under one name you should also report to the information tent early in order to register your timing chips.
    If you have not yet received a race number you have two options:
    You can pick it up [along with your T-Shirt] at Event Fuel, 8 Dunville Terrace, Canal Road, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.
    Event Fuel are open for pick up tomorrow Saturday 8th of March 11am - 7pm
    Alternatively you can pick up your race number on Sunday at the information tent at the start line in the park but again PLEASE BE THERE BY 8:30am in order to get your number in time.
    If you were to receive your race number in the post but have not, you can collect one from Event Fuel on Saturday as outlined above OR you can collect one on race day.
    If you need to change the name or distance that you registered you can do so at the above locations and times.

T-Shirt
    You can collect your FIT CITY T-Shirt from Event Fuel on Saturday or the information tent on Sunday.

Start & Finish Line
    Both 5km and 10km races will start on Chesterfield Avenue and finish on the Furze Road.

Parking
    There is NO dedicated parking for this event and public transport is strongly encouraged.
    Dublin Bus provides a choice of bus routes to and from the Outskirts of the Phoenix Park
    Info on bus routes can be found here

Race day: GET IN LANE
    To facilitate a safe, enjoyable, competitive race for both 5km and 10km entrants we would ask you to please judge whether you are a runner or a jogger. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
    Runners are to keep to LEFT HAND side of the road. [Do you compete in Athletics events regularly? Are you going for a competitive time?]
    Joggers are to keep to the RIGHT HAND side of the road. [Are you a bit more casual about your finishing time?]
    Lanes will be signposted at the start line and please listen to the marshals along the route.
    Please avoid wearing earphones as you need to be able to hear the marshals instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I got an update email today:
    We're just getting in touch to update you on your race entry for the Irish Independent My1000Hours 5k/10k in association with Berocca. Firstly thanks again for your booking! We're super excited for this Saturday where we've already got 3,500 like-minded people doing their bit to put mental health on the map.

To update you on your order. Your race pack is now on its way. You should receive it by Wednesday. Your race pack contains your race pin and your race number (all-in-one). You should also receive an information leaflet with everything you need to know for Saturday. It's important to note that if your number is in green, it is a 10k entry and if your number is in orange, it is a 5k entry. If you feel that you've received the wrong one, please get in touch with us at customerservices@fitmagazine.ie and we will advise on what to do.

The venue will be open from 08:30 and we'll very much be up there getting things ready with our pals from 98fm blasting the tunes over the waves. We would advise all runners to get to the venue for 09:00 to ensure that you're properly warmed up and ready for your run. The race start times for each entry type is below.

Start Times
    5km - 10:00am
    10km - 10:30am

We will be sending out a final email correspondence in the next few days with further details on the event timetable, warm-ups, medical info and post event information (same info as included in your posted race pack) which will ensure you're ready to run. Most importantly keep training hard for these final few days and be sure to wish for a bright, sunny Saturday!

Thanks,
    Paul
    FIT Magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I signed up for the 5k a few weeks ago. Looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

HI All,

I'm thinking of signing up. I'm between 5 and 10 K runs.... another 3 or 4 weeks and i'd be right for 10K.

Do you know if it's possible to sign up for 10K and then drop to 5 on the day if your not feeling up to 10?

cheers.

spudulike wrote: »
    HI All,

I'm thinking of signing up. I'm between 5 and 10 K runs.... another 3 or 4 weeks and i'd be right for 10K.

Do you know if it's possible to sign up for 10K and then drop to 5 on the day if your not feeling up to 10?

cheers.

Numbers are colour-coded. Green for 10K, orange for 5K.

Why don't you leave the 10K as you said for another 3 or 4 weeks. Commit to giving the 5K your best shot. You'll enjoy the 10K more when you know you are ready for it. If you don't feel up to running 10K today, not much is going to change in the next 3 days.

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Numbers are colour-coded. Green for 10K, orange for 5K.

Why don't you leave the 10K as you said for another 3 or 4 weeks. Commit to giving the 5K your best shot. You'll enjoy the 10K more when you know you are ready for it. If you don't feel up to running 10K today, not much is going to change in the next 3 days.

I think that's what I'm coming around to. There's the great Ireland run on April 11th so I might look to that for my first 10K race.

I have done a few 10K's on the threadmill in the gym... but not on the road... Is the phoenix park a hilly course?

I think that's what I'm coming around to. There's the great Ireland run on April 11th so I might look to that for my first 10K race.

I have done a few 10K's on the threadmill in the gym... but not on the road... Is the phoenix park a hilly course?
    Its the same course as the Movember run last year which is mostly flat but has one hill around the 3k mark.

I got my race pack in the post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is the phoenix park a hilly course?

the Great ireland Run is quite hilly - flat for 4k, downhill for 1, then up and down the rest
    If you want a flat 10k, the BHAA 10k at the K Club is round the same time, and very flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

swervring wrote: »
    The course is up on their website, appears to be 2 laps of same route for the 10k which may get a bit confusing. Not a lot of information available on it really, lets just hope the weather is ok!

There is a lot of work being done on the road in the Glen at the moment and a lot of mud and rubble on the route. If there are 2,000+ people doing it I seriously hope they tidy it up ASAP. Take that route most days when out training and as of yesterday it was still bad. Ran the Fit10k last year but running in Ballycotton this year.

KJ wrote: »
    Its the same course as the Movember run last year which is mostly flat but has one hill around the 3k mark.

I got my race pack in the post this morning.

You doing the 5K or 10K KJ?

Forecast looks good, moderate breeze, 8 degrees, and no rain. http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Phoenix_Park/long.html

vanderlyle wrote: »
    You doing the 5K or 10K KJ?

Forecast looks good, moderate breeze, 8 degrees, and no rain. http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Phoenix_Park/long.html

I'm just doing the 5k. Building myself up to my first 10k at the Wicklow Gaol run.

RayCun wrote: »
    the Great ireland Run is quite hilly - flat for 4k, downhill for 1, then up and down the rest
    If you want a flat 10k, the BHAA 10k at the K Club is round the same time, and very flat

Hi RayCun: I looked at that BHAA event... looks very interesting, but what is the standard like at those events... as this would be my first 10K I'd be pretty slow... would this be the right event for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

results from last year are here, a few people over the hour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Should this not be in the events sub-forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No number swaps allowed.

Just as far as times go for the 10k this saturday, I don't think they are expecting fast ones - they have three waves for it, runners/joggers; joggers/walkers; and walkers/buggies!!

swervring wrote: »
    Just as far as times go for the 10k this saturday, I don't think they are expecting fast ones - they have three waves for it, runners/joggers; joggers/walkers; and walkers/buggies!!

Last year's results.

Out of 869 participants:
    8 runners sub 35 mins (0.9%)
    36 runners sub 40 mins (4%)

Looks like I'll be one of the last so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 yanogiz

Anyone in Dublin tell me best way to get to starting point using public transport. Driving from Waterford so was planning to park in a city day long car park & make our way to the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

is there anywhere to park close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

kod12 wrote: »
    is there anywhere to park close by?

If it's anything like other runs there you'll be able to park on Chesterfield avenue up to around half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Caitríona wins again in about 35' dead from Orla Drumm,legend. Kevin Maunsell won the mens 10k but missed his time there.Massive turnout in windy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Some turnout today. Conditions good but a little windy. Finished 10km in 43.38. Hill second time around killed me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Enjoyable race, good to see so many first time runners out...

Sucks that we have to wait until Monday to find out what our time was. Bressie seemed like a nice bloke. Gave him a high five as I went past him at the start of the 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

Results are up on independent.ie Got a PB for 5K so I'm happy with my morning's work. :-)

Results are up on independent.ie Got a PB for 5K so I'm happy with my morning's work. :-)
    Im seeing a blank page when I click on the link.
    Never mind, I found it. I got a time of 21.56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I can't post the links but Fit Magazine sent out an email less than an hour ago with links to the results pages. There's a page on the independent.ie sports section titled 'Pat yourself on the back, ye deserve it'– Bressie congratulates runners on Phoenix Park run - that page has the links to the 5k and 10k results pages at the end.

Advertisement