Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation - Extending Eircom cable and installing NTU

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

As part of a renovation of our bungalow the Eircom NTU was removed but we retained the aerial wire and this is coming in under the (new) soffits.

I would like the telephone wire extended to a new location in the house and a new NTU installed.

Would an electrician be able to/allowed to do this or would I have to talk to Eircom?

Note that we we are not an Eircom customer at present but I plan to use their broadband service once the house is ready.

Thanks,

Slip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Yes an electrician can do it for you. Just make sure that if any wiring needs to be replaced in the future that you have access to it. When you say you are not an eircom customer do you mean you don't have any telephone service or that you do and are with another provider. If the line isn't activated you'll likely have to get someone from eircom to fit a new NTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

pbarr wrote: »
    When you say you are not an eircom customer do you mean you don't have any telephone service or that you do and are with another provider. If the line isn't activated you'll likely have to get someone from eircom to fit a new NTU.

the last owner had the service disconnected before we bought the house.

at this point our electrician has extended this eircom line down to our utility room using cat6.

would i need to involve eircom to install an ntu or could i source one myself?

slip

You'll probably have to phone eircom to get the line activated so they'll likely arrange for someone to come out to fit an NTU. You could put on one yourself but they might still change it to one of theirs.
    The eircom one allows you to take off the front plate and disconnect any wiring and equipment going to other parts of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

pbarr wrote: »
    You'll probably have to phone eircom to get the line activated so they'll likely arrange for someone to come out to fit an NTU. You could put on one yourself but they might still change it to one of theirs.
    The eircom one allows you to take off the front plate and disconnect any wiring and equipment going to other parts of the house.

thanks, it sounds like it would be best to call eircom and note we do not have an ntu.

do you think an eircom engineer would be bothered when they see we extended their cable to reach our utility using cat6 (i imagine they would want to be routing their cable through joists and walls etc.)?

slip

I don't think they'd be too bothered really. I used to work as an eircom engineer. I'm retired about five years. Now its a company called KN Networks do the installing for eircom. What you could do is connect a cheap phone socket to the end of the cable then stick a phone in to it and check have you a dial tone. If you have you could leave that socket on then whenever eircom activate the line and if its working okay the wouldn't send anybody out. They would only send somebody out if it didn't work after the had enabled it. At least that's how it used to be anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement