Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview - What to wear?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Some guidance please.

I'm female, middle-aged and am going for an interview for an admin position in a small company tomorrow. I haven't been for an interview in a LONG time so I haven't a clue what to wear.

I have some suits but I've put on quite a bit of weight in the last couple of years so those that fit are, putting it mildly, VERY snug.

The alternative is some smart black dresses that I used to wear for work and still wear for formal occasions. I'd cover the dress with a lovely dark coat (tomorrow is supposed to be very cold)

I'd feel better in a black dress but wonder if I'd be better off wearing a suit and breathing in deeply for the duration of the interview.

Any advice please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The black dress would be grand for the interview as long as it's not overly dressy or weddingy. Alternatively if you think you may be going for a lot of interviews, or even need something to wear if you are lucky enough to get the job, then you could get a nice cheapish trousers & jacket in Dunnes which would look the part.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks so much.

I tried Dunnes yesterday and they had lovely black dresses but no nice suits. I'd look better in a squeezed in suit than any of the stuff I saw yesterday. Similarly with Wallis.

If only I hadn't eaten all those cookies :eek:

Maybe try Next or M&S? They usually have a good workwear selection.

The black dress would be fine anyway, unless you think it might be too formal for a small company? If so, you could dress it down a little bit with a nice cardigan.

Thanks again.

The dresses I have are a bit like these:
    http://swampfashion.com/clothing/dresses/aztec-trim-detail-13697
    http://swampfashion.com/clothing/dresses/crew-neck-paisley-13724

And I'd wear them with black tights and black heels.

Sadly I don't have access to an M&S.

I think I would go with the first one for the interview. It looks more of a work dress than the second one. You're better off feeling comfortable in what you are wearing rather than buying something new that might not sit well with you.

Once you've made the decision you will be free to concentrate on your interview answers.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much again.

I ended up picking up a fabulous dress in Tesco of all places and picked up a black jacket in Dunnes. The pair together look fabulous - I'm very pleased with them.

Advertisement