Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Castlebar to Watch Rugby and Soccer

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Hi

Up in Castlebar soon (14th March) same Day Ireland v Wales and Arsenal play West Ham. We arrive in Castlebar at 3.30 so we are looking for a pub close by that will show the Rugby game and also pub that will show the Arsenal game(not on terrestrial tv)

All suggestions welcome

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Are you arriving by train, bus, car or private jet? Rugby starts at 2:30pm so you'll miss an hour of it. If you get a taxi from the bus or train it's only another 5 minutes lost.

Most pubs will only show the rugby so you need a pub decent size place with lots of TV’s. Bosh on Linenhall street will show both and it’s a good size place that also does food and will probably have live music after. Flynns Sports Bar around the corner from it have loads of TV’s and show multiple sports at once. They have jukebox, pool and probably live music in the evening.

Rockys on Linenhall street is another big place but I wouldn't be 100% sure it would also show the soccer as the rugby is such a big match.

If the matches weren't on at the same time you'd have loads more options as they would show one after the other but then that's probably why you're asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Would love to arrive by private jet but Michael O Leary won't let us borrow his plane :D

We arrive by train so aware we will miss the first half of the Rugby may try Bosh or Flynns. Hoepfully catch second half of Rugby game and keep an eye on the football also if they are showing that also on a second screen

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Out of the 2 i would only recommend Bosh, Flynns reminds me of the pub from shameless....

Samhain wrote: »
    Out of the 2 i would only recommend Bosh, Flynns reminds me of the pub from shameless....

That’s exactly what it’s like. Great comparison but it was the only other one I could think of. Bosh would be my preferred location too if I had to watch both matches.

All the others including Johnny McHales, Welcome Inn, The Cobweb, Soyan’s, Coady’s, Cox’s, Sam Adams, Bar One, The Harp, P Morans, Mulroys, Irish House, and the few up Spencer and Castle Street will only be showing the Rugby.

Small chance the Castle Inn on Castle Street might show both but I doubted. I honestly couldn't think of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Coxes is a big rugby pub but it's likely the football will be on a TV in the corner but you won't have audio. My vote would be to try bosh first.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Samhain wrote: »

Flynns is a dive, the clientele is mostly made up of people barred from other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ginja

The Bungalow on Main Street usually show all the Arsenal games I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ginja

The Bungalow on Main Street usually show all the Arsenal games I think and I would imagine they will show the Rugby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Castlebar will be busy that day as its practically Paddys Weekend and Mayo play Dublin in the NFL in MacHale park at 7 that evening so there will be plenty of Dubs around Id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 umaguma

The Harp is run by a gooner so......

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions

We are actually up in Castlebar for the Mayo v Dublin game so it will be a long day of sport. Do any of these pubs have a 'dodgy box' as the Arsenal game not on terrestrial tv? We will watch the Ireland game but keep an eye on Arsenal game if they have it on in the same pub otherwise its going to be via our phones

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks for all the suggestions

We are actually up in Castlebar for the Mayo v Dublin game so it will be a long day of sport. Do any of these pubs have a 'dodgy box' as the Arsenal game not on terrestrial tv? We will watch the Ireland game but keep an eye on Arsenal game if they have it on in the same pub otherwise its going to be via our phones

Cheers

Bosh have sky and bt channels only.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Tolsters is a grand spot for watching sport, landed in one Saturday to watch the football with a friend, we bought pints and halfway through the match they threw down a basket of chips and chicken to us for nothing. Irish House is not bad but the TV's are in kinda annoying positions, Bosh and Bar One are good, good food and a few TV's so your bound to see a lot of both matches

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Tolsters is a grand spot for watching sport, landed in one Saturday to watch the football with a friend, we bought pints and halfway through the match they threw down a basket of chips and chicken to us for nothing. Irish House is not bad but the TV's are in kinda annoying positions, Bosh and Bar One are good, good food and a few TV's so your bound to see a lot of both matches

Forgot Tolsters, Gerry in there is the owner and as you said he always fires out a some food and the odd free pint from time to time.

Rockys isn't a bad option also.

Outside of that you would be looking at Kevin in the Harp I would say has the games. Also The Castle Inn is a big soccer pub so has all the games, you could get that in there, Rays across the road is another spot.

Enjoy your weekend, well except for the Mayo game! :D:D

yop wrote: »
    Forgot Tolsters, Gerry in there is the owner and as you said he always fires out a some food and the odd free pint from time to time.

Rockys isn't a bad option also.

Outside of that you would be looking at Kevin in the Harp I would say has the games. Also The Castle Inn is a big soccer pub so has all the games, you could get that in there, Rays across the road is another spot.

Enjoy your weekend, well except for the Mayo game! :D:D

Your forgetting the rugby and soccer are on the same time. The likes of Ray's will have the rugby on both their TV's. They won't have the soccer in one room and the rugby in another. Similar problem in Rockys. Castle may have the soccer on in a corner and I don't go to Tolsters enough to comment.

Dudda wrote: »
    Your forgetting the rugby and soccer are on the same time. The likes of Ray's will have the rugby on both their TV's. They won't have the soccer in one room and the rugby in another. Similar problem in Rockys. Castle may have the soccer on in a corner and I don't go to Tolsters enough to comment.

That's our dilemma as we want to keep an eye on both and with the soccer not on terrestrial tv not sure if pubs will show both? May contact Tolsters and see and a few pubs mentioned here

Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That's our dilemma as we want to keep an eye on both and with the soccer not on terrestrial tv not sure if pubs will show both? May contact Tolsters and see and a few pubs mentioned here

Cheers

Tolsters dont have "foreign" channels which I think you said the Arsenal game is on.
    I'd buzz Kevin in the Harp bar, if anyone is showing both I'd say its him and I would think he has the foreign sat boxes.

yop wrote: »
    Tolsters dont have "foreign" channels which I think you said the Arsenal game is on.
    I'd buzz Kevin in the Harp bar, if anyone is showing both I'd say its him and I would think he has the foreign sat boxes.

Cheers will give him a shout

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Harp is the spot, I heard he showed both games last Sunday....but it is not the biggest pub in town if theres a decent crew of you. Kevins a big Arsenal supporter, so Im sure hell be showing it if its available

Flynns has a slightly dodgy rep...not entirely sure if its justified...I think he used to have more problems when he was around the corner.

Rocky is a decent skin too...lots more room than the Harp. Im sure if you called him ahead of time and let him know hed put it on if he could.

whitey1 wrote: »
    Harp is the spot, I heard he showed both games last Sunday....but it is not the biggest pub in town if theres a decent crew of you. Kevins a big Arsenal supporter, so Im sure hell be showing it if its available

Flynns has a slightly dodgy rep...not entirely sure if its justified...I think he used to have more problems when he was around the corner.

Rocky is a decent skin too...lots more room than the Harp. Im sure if you called him ahead of time and let him know hed put it on if he could.

Not to many of us so any pub will do

Tried ringing the Harp bar but number not valid anyone have it as one google told me some random punter down in Castlebar:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

The Flynns are some of the nicest people you could meet. Its a great pub.

6541 wrote: »
    The Flynns are some of the nicest people you could meet. Its a great pub.

It is made up mainly of a clientele of mainly people barred from most other pubs in town and was the same when it was in Linenhall Street, well birds of a feather flock together, it suits its location now with the only pub worse in town across the road from it.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is made up mainly of a clientele of mainly people barred from most other pubs in town and was the same when it was in Linenhall Street, well birds of a feather flock together, it suits its location now with the only pub worse in town across the road from it.

You obviously don't go in there, the Flynn's are auld stock. The pub you refer to across the road has barred all those people, it had to otherwise no licence. Keep up man with Castlebar news !

That's a bit harsh. I'm not a regular but I've gone to Flynns a few times recently with the town darts winter league and a charity quiz I got roped into and thought it was grand. It might have been rough in years gone by when I didn't know the place but it's not now.

Dudda wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. I'm not a regular but I've gone to Flynns a few times recently with the town darts winter league and a charity quiz I got roped into and thought it was grand. It might have been rough in years gone by when I didn't know the place but it's not now.

Thanks for that, the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, Flynn's is a true blooded Castlebar pub, its up there with the Castle and some fine people go in there.

Thanks for that, the guy doesn't know what he is talking about, Flynn's is a true blooded Castlebar pub, its up there with the Castle and some fine people go in there.

Pretty bad representation on the town then, it has had a reputation for years and it has not been improved in recent times.

Pretty bad representation on the town then, it has had a reputation for years and it has not been improved in recent times.

You don't know what your talking about, I suggest you drink at home, that way nobody can offend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You don't know what your talking about, I suggest you drink at home, that way nobody can offend you.

I have to agree with xenji, I've never been inside but I've been told to stay away from the place by many people. It definitely has a bad reputation. I heard recently that a lad was attacked with a pool cue and ended up in A & E.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I spent plenty of time working in bars in town and have heard plenty of stories, fair enough if you like the place and enjoy it, but it has a reputation and always has that is not debatable.

• Advertisement

Ah now, Flynns is well known in town in fairness, the owners are dead on, some the clientele might be a tad shady! :D

Advertisement