Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing a second harddrive

Options
  • 02-03-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

HI guys. I have a dell xps pc and the hard drive is nearly full. so I put in another hdd and in disc management it says that it is active. but I cant seem to get anything to save on it. is there a way to have it set up so that the pc sees both hdds as the same drive. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

brutus99 wrote: »
    HI guys. I have a dell xps pc and the hard drive is nearly full. so I put in another hdd and in disc management it says that it is active. but I cant seem to get anything to save on it. is there a way to have it set up so that the pc sees both hdds as the same drive. thanks in advance

You'll have to format the new drive first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You need to format it, and assign it with a drive letter to be able to see it in Windows. If you right click on the drive in Disk Management you'll have an option to Change Drive Letter and Paths - go through the wizard step by step and it'll assign it with a drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can also set it up so it is 'mounted' in a folder on the other drive, rather than with its own drive letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brutus99

if I mount it in a folder on the original drive will windows automatically save things to it. ie just like making the first hdd bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Its not a feature I've actually used, but AFAIK xxGB will appear to be part of C:, and I'd expect it to affect C:\ Properties. You'd have to tell things to save to say C:\MyNewDrivesExtraSpace, it won't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement