Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 World Cup - Day 18 - South Africa v Ireland

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

res ipsa wrote: »
    So it looks like we're going to face NZ in Wellington at best. Little chance of finishing 3rd in the group now.... I'm. very happy if someone disagrees.

IMHO getting out of the group should be the sum of Irelands ambition and ability. Who we play is irrelevant. It should just be celebrated as a great achievment and add further weight to "the associates" argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Gah, even if you have a sky sports day pass you can't access the red button. What a joke. You think they could just show it on one of the other channels,bar super rugby there's nothing else on.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Thoughts on the game:

Bowling

McBrine outstanding considering the conditions. He has improved 10 fold from the acclimatization tour where he looked toothless. Dockrell and Stirling also bowled well.

We've said it ten times each at this stage but the pace isnt anywhere close to the required standard. We may get away with it vs WI but the top teams like SA/Ind will eat it up. Sorensen tried his best and I hope he enjoyed his little cameo with the bat but I cant see any justification for him playing another second. Just not good enough. Mooney was excellent up front but was always going to get smashed at the death. Kevin just isnt a bowler capable of delivering 10 good overs consistently and the team knows that I think, but you gotta make do with what you have I guess.

Batting

Terrible at the start obviously. Porterfield gave an easy catch off a bad ball to waste what looked like a promising start. Stirlo and Joyce got done by bounce and good bowling respectively. Niall needlessly trying to play aggressively when we were already 3 down was pretty annoying.

Very happy with how Kev and Balbo did though. Yes they were helped a bit by the bowling changes but they dug in and grit it out, something the top order should have done. Balbo looks an excellent player and could have made a bigger score but gave it away in the end. Very happy to see Kevin dig out a good knock though, shows he isnt just a big hitter.

Fielding was disappointingly a bit flat I though. Joyce's drop was huge, Should have been 25/2, they got 217 more runs instead.. Massive difference

Team as a whole showed heart and fight, nothing else we could ask for really. Gulf in class was always going to show and that compounded with the poor bowling leads to a 200 run loss unfortunately.

Changes for Zim:

Sorenson out, Young/Chase in. Preferably Young. I swear if Simmons picks Cusack I'll scream. Young was our no.1 bowler in fantastic touch whereas Sorenson was at home a month ago, and now the latter is taking the formers spot. Zero logic behind it.

On to the next game, which promises to be a nail-biter unfortunately lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Thoughts on the game:

Bowling

McBrine outstanding considering the conditions. He has improved 10 fold from the acclimatization tour where he looked toothless. Dockrell and Stirling also bowled well.

We've said it ten times each at this stage but the pace isnt anywhere close to the required standard. We may get away with it vs WI but the top teams like SA/Ind will eat it up. Sorensen tried his best and I hope he enjoyed his little cameo with the bat but I cant see any justification for him playing another second. Just not good enough. Mooney was excellent up front but was always going to get smashed at the death. Kevin just isnt a bowler capable of delivering 10 good overs consistently and the team knows that I think, but you gotta make do with what you have I guess.

Batting

Terrible at the start obviously. Porterfield gave an easy catch off a bad ball to waste what looked like a promising start. Stirlo and Joyce got done by bounce and good bowling respectively. Niall needlessly trying to play aggressively when we were already 3 down was pretty annoying.

Very happy with how Kev and Balbo did though. Yes they were helped a bit by the bowling changes but they dug in and grit it out, something the top order should have done. Balbo looks an excellent player and could have made a bigger score but gave it away in the end. Very happy to see Kevin dig out a good knock though, shows he isnt just a big hitter.

Fielding was disappointingly a bit flat I though. Joyce's drop was huge, Should have been 25/2, they got 217 more runs instead.. Massive difference

Team as a whole showed heart and fight, nothing else we could ask for really. Gulf in class was always going to show and that compounded with the poor bowling leads to a 200 run loss unfortunately.

Changes for Zim:

Sorenson out, Young/Chase in. Preferably Young. I swear if Simmons picks Cusack I'll scream. Young was our no.1 bowler in fantastic touch whereas Sorenson was at home a month ago, and now the latter is taking the formers spot. Zero logic behind it.

On to the next game, which promises to be a nail-biter unfortunately lol

Good post. I think its hard to be too critical of the batsmen though. In a near impossible situation against such a good attack.

We were just over-matched, no shame in that.

Really can't understand Young not playing so far, even the small bit of extra pace he has would at least change it up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Whatever your membership status, there are only a handful of teams capable of living with South Africa. We are being treated to some great batting displays, Dhawan, Sangakkara, AB, Gayle and now Alma. There's a reason he is my favourite batsman to watch. Steyn, when he's in the mood is a joy also. His bowling at Joyce was superb. AB did us a favor but I don't like the messing he does when he could just kill a team off, did the same in the WI game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gillespy wrote: »
    AB did us a favor but I don't like the messing he does when he could just kill a team off, did the same in the WI game.

Nah, if anything he should have the part timers on earlier against West Indies and Ireland, if he is anyway serious about having guys like Behardien, Faf and Roussow as a sixth bowler, they needed more overs in both games.

And they need a sixth bowler, as I really don't think they can bank on their 4 frontliners and Duminy for 50 overs against quality sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

What would McCullum do? Always ask yourself that.:p I see the merits it's just not something I like to see.

Do you think de Kock will keep his place? That would help the balance of the side but does AB want to go keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gillespy wrote: »
    What would McCullum do? Always ask yourself that.:p I see the merits it's just not something I like to see.

Do you think de Kock will keep his place? That would help the balance of the side but does AB want to go keeping.

Mc Cullum would have bowled himself out and claimed 6 wickets at the moment, man is a machine, playing golf the other day without a care in the world.:eek::D

I think QDK is on very shaky ground as well, looked awful so far, he will be lucky to get the next 2 games in current form, he has to do something against Pakistan because he is a walking wicket at the moment.

AB has said he finds keeping in ODI cricket hardest due to captaincy, but they can't afford to have an opener as a passenger especially as they are still not sure of their number 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭minitrue

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ireland game will be behind the red button until the other game is over or is a foregone conclusion
    They just said it will be on Sky Sports 4 (well until it switches back to their "World Cup channel")! Are they catering to the UPC audience? Either way should mean more Irish people acting like zombies on Saturday ;)

Where did you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭minitrue

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?
    During Sky's broadcast of Bang Vs Sco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Some rain in the forecast for Saturday evening in Hobart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2163355

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

minitrue wrote: »
    During Sky's broadcast of Bang Vs Sco.

There was also a very good discussion on the madness of the the proposed format for 2019. It seems there is a possibility of a review. One insane statistic that was quoted was that in 2007 Ireland received $50,000 for the entire tournament. We qualified for the final 8 after beating Pakistan and drawing with Zimbabwe. Pakistan went home early with an $11M participation fee!!
    (Eleven Million Dollars versus Fifty Thousand in case any of you think I made a typo)

Some rain in the forecast for Saturday evening in Hobart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2163355

Hopefully nothing too bad, we need a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Let the rain wait for the Pakistan game please

Advertisement