Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You can turn off a headset in the PS settings soemwhere. Half the craic is roaring at your mates / randomers but I guess it's not for everyone. :)
    I'm actively seeking out games that don't have online voice chat, it's great. Splatoon being my favourite so far.

You can turn off a headset in the PS settings soemwhere. Half the craic is roaring at your mates / randomers but I guess it's not for everyone. :)

Can you tell me where exactly? I know you can choose to not include it when you're streaming, but couldn't find where to turn it off when I went to look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can you tell me where exactly? I know you can choose to not include it when you're streaming, but couldn't find where to turn it off when I went to look

I'm in work but looking online it looks like it is an issue. There's options for distorting your voice and everything so I was sure there'd be something similar for mute. Sorry. One work around would be create a party chat and then priortise the party chat in the party options. If you did this no one in game would hear anything coming through on your mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I'd personally think that you might be better off buying just headphones as opposed to a headset. Unless you can turn off the mic, having one can be potentially more annoying - everyone in your squad, your team, or the server could potentially hear everything you say, do, or what is said to you. Now.. I might be wrong and you might do a ton of streaming, which is when a mic would be useful. Regarding wired vs wireless, I went with wired. But only because you can plug it into the PS4 controller.

Any headset I've had has had a mute button on the headset or a removable Mic.

I'd agree with gimli that turtle beach construction is not the best (orig broke was replaced under warranty and the replacements broke in same place 5 months later. just after getting another replacement under warranty again). Love the sound from them and tried a cheap headset last time they broke and there was no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm in work but looking online it looks like it is an issue. There's options for distorting your voice and everything so I was sure there'd be something similar for mute. Sorry. One work around would be create a party chat and then priortise the party chat in the party options. If you did this no one in game would hear anything coming through on your mic.

Could you not just mute your mic ? Also a lot of headsets have separate controls for game and voice chat, at least they do on Xbox. So just turn Voice Chat volume to 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

TinCanMan wrote: »
    A squirt of WD40 will sort that.

Tried that and since opened up the controller. The WD-40 ended up helping to crack off a piece of the L2 hinge.

Oh well, it was on the way out anyway. Need a new L2 button and the rubber piece that goes underneath.

Will need to purchase a repair kit somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I have turtle beach stealth 400's ... Think I paid 140/160 around there, but I seen them for €99 in GameStop a few days ago.
    Decent headset... I use them more for the immersion of the game sounds rather than actual online chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oculus Rift is going to cost $600 to buy.

If Playstation VR costs something similar you can forget about VR doing well anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tok9 wrote: »

If Playstation VR costs something similar you can forget about VR doing well anytime soon.

$280 is the figure I've read a few times, absolutely no confirmation on that though, it will probably be higher. Can't imagine it will be less than $399 on release.

martyos121 wrote: »
    $280 is the figure I've read a few times, absolutely no confirmation on that though, it will probably be higher. Can't imagine it will be less than $399 on release.

$400-450 I imagine which in itself is probably crazy. It's going to be interesting to see.

If I was them I'd nearly hold off another year to bring down the price as much as possible before going to market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is the uncharted bundle still the only new model version of the ps4 available on the market? Could someone tell me what the new model number is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looking to upgrade my hardrive to at least 2gb. Any recommendations?

tok9 wrote: »

The creator of the Oculus did a Q&A on Reddit, which was answering a ton of queries regarding the price and whatnot.

Seemed to have been an absolute clusterf*ck, with the mods deleting numerous replies and comments throughout.
    Hijacking your post to respond to the earlier mega-post that was deleted, it included your question:
    The price is what it is, I understand bleeding edge electronics is expensive.. My question is "why was the messaging about price so poor? $599 is not in the ballpark of $350 when your target audience is the mainstream".
    I handled the messaging poorly. Earlier last year, we started officially messaging that the Rift+Recommended spec PC would cost roughly $1500. That was around the time we committed to the path of prioritizing quality over cost, trying to make the best VR headset possible with current technology. Many outlets picked the story up as “Rift will cost $1500!”, which was honestly a good thing - the vast majority of consumers (and even gamers!) don’t have a PC anywhere close to the rec. spec, and many people were confused enough to think the Rift was a standalone device. For that vast majority of people, $1500 is the all-in cost of owning Rift. The biggest portion of their cost is the PC, not the Rift itself.
    For gamers that already have high end GPUs, the equation is obviously different. In a September interview, during the Oculus Connect developer conference, I made the infamous “roughly in that $350 ballpark, but it will cost more than that” quote. As an explanation, not an excuse: during that time, many outlets were repeating the “Rift is $1500!” line, and I was frustrated by how many people thought that was the price of the headset itself. My answer was ill-prepared, and mentally, I was contrasting $349 with $1500, not our internal estimate that hovered close to $599 - that is why I said it was in roughly the same ballpark. Later on, I tried to get across that the Rift would cost more than many expected, in the past two weeks particularly. There are a lot of reasons we did not do a better job of prepping people who already have high end GPUs, legal, financial, competitive, and otherwise, but to be perfectly honest, our biggest failing was assuming we had been clear enough about setting expectations. Another problem is that people looked at the much less advanced technology in DK2 for $350 and assumed the consumer Rift would cost a similar amount, an assumption that myself (and Oculus) did not do a good job of fixing. I apologize.
    To be perfectly clear, we don’t make money on the Rift. The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without “useless extras” like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don’t significantly impact the cost. The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses. It is expensive, but for the $599 you spend, you get a lot more than spending $599 on pretty much any other consumer electronics devices - phones that cost $599 cost a fraction of that to make, same with mid-range TVs that cost $599. There are a lot of mainstream devices in that price-range, so as you have said, our failing was in communication, not just price.
    In what 'ballpark' can we expect Touch's price to be?
    No more ballparks for now. I have learned my lesson.
    How many games can we expect to have available to us by years end?
    At least 100 - Over 20 Oculus Studios titles, many more 3rd party titles.
    John Carmack tweeted that he expects gaming to occupy less than 50% of the time we spend in the RIFT.. what kind of experiences is he eluding to. Oculus Medium? Toy box? How much is there to do in Toy Box?
    Somewhat surprisingly, the majority of time spent right in Gear VR is video and experiences, not games. Over time, VR span beyond games, much like the evolution of computer and mobile platforms before it. Right now, gaming is going to be the primary driver of PC VR, but the content base will expand over time.
    What kind of prices can we expect Movies/Experiences to have in the Oculus Store? Most experiences in the GearVR store have been free.
    There will be the range of prices from free to higher priced AAA games. The pricing will be similar to what you see in console PC games.
    Can we have some detailed information about the screens/displays? FOV/Resolution/pixelfill/pentile/etc... these are custom displays, we want to know everything
    We will be sharing more soon. We have done a lot of work optimizing and building these displays, we definitely want people to see how awesome they are.
    Post too long, about to post next bit...

I'm not too surprised with that. He shouldn't have said anything regarding price until today as it set expectations. That said I guess to price of the dev kits probably set some expectations too.

What would be crazy now is if the Vive was the same price . Oculus could go from being the pioneer of VR prior to going to market and now become the least attractive option.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't actually think the Vive will be the same price as Oculus. It's more likely to be an additional $200-400 I'd say in fact which would seriously make me question PVR if it sells for $400 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Gamestop has gravity rush remastered up for pre order for a pretty reasonable 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Folks can anyone suggest a way of wiring my PS4 direct to the internet. My horizon box is in the other room and 70% of the time I lose connection to the servers. Or does anyone know if it possible to obtain a second modem from UPC ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

14murphy wrote: »
    Folks can anyone suggest a way of wiring my PS4 direct to the internet. My horizon box is in the other room and 70% of the time I lose connection to the servers. Or does anyone know if it possible to obtain a second modem from UPC ?

You could pick up a pair of TP-link home plugs. Just plug one into the horizon over Ethernet and the other into your PS4. Don't think UPC will give you another modem.

DubDJ wrote: »
    You could pick up a pair of TP-link home plugs. Just plug one into the horizon over Ethernet and the other into your PS4. Don't think UPC will give you another modem.

Any experience using them ?

Any experience using them ?

Yeah, but not with the Horizon Box. Used them with one of UPC's Cisco routers, not one problem. I had a range extender before that which caused a few issues but the home plugs were solid. Recently sold these TP links and upgraded to the version with the included wifi. So far so good with no problems over the last 6 weeks.

Yeah, but not with the Horizon Box. Used them with one of UPC's Cisco routers, not one problem. I had a range extender before that which caused a few issues but the home plugs were solid. Recently sold these TP links and upgraded to the version with the included wifi. So far so good with no problems over the last 6 weeks.

Thanks man defo gonna check this tomorrow. Do they come with ethernet cables ? also could you tell me where i'd get an ethernet splitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Thanks man defo gonna check this tomorrow. Do they come with ethernet cables ? also could you tell me where i'd get an ethernet splitter.

A splitter to run two things at once or to pick things that will run? You can't split a connection by splitting the copper to run more than one device at the same time, that's not how it works. You either need a router or a switch to accomplish that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I could never get over 50mbs with any powerline adapters I had when I was with UPC, I had 150mb at the time.

Do you have this problem? Maybe it was just whatever way the apartment was wired was restricting it in my case.

Apart from that they were perfect, not a single extra ms in ping even.

Yeah two long Ethernet cables are included (roughly 1-2m I'd above poster is correct about the split. If you went with the more expensive wifi version that also has two Ethernet outputs. So you could use the spare Ethernet port and have extended wifi.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I could never get over 50mbs with any powerline adapters I had when I was with UPC, I had 150mb at the time.

Do you have this problem? Maybe it was just whatever way the apartment was wired was restricting it in my case.

Apart from that they were perfect, not a single extra ms in ping even.

On 120mb myself, usually gives around 80Mb over wifi and with the home plugs it drops another 20mbs or so to 60mbs. Still great speed though.

Have ordered some grips and an extra long cable, after I left the one I got with the console behind when I moved house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I use the home plugs all the time. No problems at all with them. I have 90mb with Vodafone and through home plugs on laptop barely drops at all. A lot better than with wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

What is it you are trying to achieve with the splitter?

Some of the power over ethernet adapters come with multiple ports, so you plug one into your modem / horizon box run an ethernet cable from the horizon box into the adapter.

Then Plug the other side into a plug near your PS4 and you can have two ethernet cables coming out of the adapter, one can go to your PS4 the other into whatever your other device is.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,266 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I use an earlier model of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1452257855&sr=8-7&keywords=tp+link+powerline

That way you have a socket still available while using them. They're great. Work perfectly for me since I got them.

Was just reading elsewhere about the PS2 games on PS4 again and was thinking they should do what Nintendo do. If you own a game on the Wii VC and you go to buy again off the Wii U VC, you get it for cheaper. Or at least you used to. This would then at least cover some of the cost of any changes done to bring it to the PS4

How would they prove you own PS2 games though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

He's on about the digital games off the Virtual store.

So if you've any of the PS2 games that were released on PS3 as classics those would be eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The ones from PS3 should still be there on your account right?

You might not get a discount on the physical games for the PS2 but i could see a discount if you had them on PS3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement