Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just reserved the handsome collection for the ps4 in argos. 24 lids. If anyone hasn't played it I'd thoroughly recommend it. Two excellent games and a bundle of DLC, can't go far wrong.

Have the base version on PC but was eyeing up the PS4 edition, was €34 yesterday with one left in stock in my local. Now it's down another tenner it's out of stock. Typical. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone get the thumb grips in Argos?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Anyone get the thumb grips in Argos?

Those ones are all really the same, 100s of different companies selling rebranded version that were probably made in the same factory and repackaged.

I bought some more recently and it was a different brand through Amazon directly but the actual covers are all the same.

Varik wrote: »
    Those ones are all really the same, 100s of different companies selling rebranded version that were probably made in the same factory and repackaged.

I bought some more recently and it was a different brand through Amazon directly but the actual covers are all the same.

Are they any good?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Are they any good?

They're fine, do what they're meant to.

I stick 1 type on the left stick and the other on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hmmm I bemoaned the Banner Saga's €20 price tag only to read that another indie title I want The Witness is priced at nearly twice that :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very pleased to see Blow sticking to his guns re: the game's price. The market has to adapt to allow for price points between AAA and small-scale independent, and move away from the false assumption that games without a blockbuster budget are inherently less valuable.

The Witness is very much looking like a game with an extraordinary level of depth, polish and aesthetic/narrative/gameplay ambition, a world apart from most ten euro indie titles (hell, artistically and in terms of content it seems a world apart from most AAA releases). For such an unusual game - which has been more than half a decade in the making - 35 quid seems like more than a fair price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

People expect every non-AAA game to be 20 or under now? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

smokingman wrote: »

Looks like it going by the boxart.
    The giveaway is the top third of the ps4 case is matt and not glossy like the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anybody get an email saying they've been accepted into the Tomorrow Children Beta?
    Got one this morning but when I click on the link to get my code it says I do not have permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

This is what happens when I click the link in the email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I got the exact same thing. Might give it another day and try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Looks like it going by the boxart.
    The giveaway is the top third of the ps4 case is matt and not glossy like the original.

Cheers dude. It was the 12xx alright and now that it's sitting in my car waiting until I get home, can I ask how big the system updates for a new console are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

smokingman wrote: »
    Cheers dude. It was the 12xx alright and now that it's sitting in my car waiting until I get home, can I ask how big the system updates for a new console are?

The update file is about 280-320MB in size. You can download it and put it on a USB stick prior if you like (link).

Orizio wrote: »
    People expect every non-AAA game to be 20 or under now? Really?

Yes really €20 for a digital port of a 2 year old game is too much as is €15 for PS2 games, not to mention that we have inferior versions of those.
    I'll wait until both are on sale; Bloodborne GOTY edition is €30 on sale on the store which represents better value than either of those mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I once bought Killzone Shadowfall for one quid on the PS Store thanks to a glitch. To me it was a waste of money because the game was tedious and bland.

The concept of 'value for money' in gaming is not a set value and it's going to differ from person to person (based on their financial situation and preferences). A 100 hour RPG is not inherently 'worth more' than a ten hour (max) game that reveals all its secrets in that time. Sure, it's nice to get a lot of play out of your purchase, but I've bought very short games at full price and felt they've been worth every penny. I'm more of a believer in quality over quantity than most, true (mostly because I think filler is the great destructive force in many almost great video games), but really the game should be offered on its own terms, not some unreasonable comparisons to other incomparable games.

Yes, Bloodborne is a bargain at 30 quid (I paid closer to 80 for it and the Old Hunters and have no regrets) but that's on sale almost a year after release. It'll be cheaper this time next year too. So what? It's a meaningless price for me anyway, as I own the game. Who is to say The Witness isn't just as deep and worthy as Bloodborne? Jonathan Blow has said there's upwards of 100 hours of content there - I haven't put that much into Bloodborne, and I've played through it, the DLC and a healthy chunk of NG+ too. I'm playing through Braid again at the moment, and while comparisons are fairly pointless given the huge difference between the two games, I think it's just as brilliant and important a game as anything From have put out. I don't think Braid is 'lesser' because it's on a smaller scale.

Not to mention that none of us have ****ing played the Witness yet anyway :pac: But for the latest game from one of the most inspired, talented and forward thinking developers of our time? Take my 36.99 please :) If you want to wait until it's on sale? Go for it (I think 'sale culture' is distorting our collective concept of how much games cost to produce, but that's for another thread). But it's hugely unfair to suggest that it's 'too expensive' just because some other great games are on sale at the moment. It's a new, high profile work in development for years from a major figure in gaming, and to be perfectly frank he can charge whatever the hell he wants for it. At two thirds of the price of a typical new AAA release, it's IMO a stretch to suggest he's being particularly unreasonable, especially given there's been very few independent titles on quite the same scale as this one (and the likes of The Talos Principle came with a premium price tag too). After all, Jonathan Blow is not forcing you to buy it ;) (apologies if Jonathan Blow is forcing anybody to buy it, cannot rule out that possibility)

Tbh bought plenty of games on the store outside sales some worth it (Life is Strange, Grim Fandango, Tales from the Borderlands, Peggle 2, Escapists, Valiant Hearts) but value is value. A few weeks in the hype dies down then the true value & quality is revealed.
    You could get practically any PS4 game around Christmas for €40-45 with sales (or less on the psn store) even boxed games like Fallout 4, Uncharted Collection or FIFA 16.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yes really €20 for a digital port of a 2 year old game is too much as is €15 for PS2 games, not to mention that we have inferior versions of those.
    I'll wait until both are on sale; Bloodborne GOTY edition is €30 on sale on the store which represents better value than either of those mentioned.

The Witness is a two year old port? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Orizio wrote: »
    The Witness is a two year old port? :confused:

I think he's talking about The Banner Saga there.

As for The Witness' price, I'm not too bothered by it. Apparently the embargo is set for Monday so we will know a day prior to release if the game is worth it.

Personally, it seems right up my street so I will buy it if the reviewers I trust give it a thumbs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Never played any of the souls games, but 30 quid for Bloodborne has me hovering over the buy button, even if I don't like it I'm sure its worth a punt at that price!

F*cking Dark Souls.

F*ck that game.

F*cking Dark Souls.

F*ck that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Fieldog wrote: »
    Never played any of the souls games, but 30 quid for Bloodborne has me hovering over the buy button, even if I don't like it I'm sure its worth a punt at that price!

original.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fieldog wrote: »

It probably the easiest and most newcomer friendly of the 4 games, well worth it for the price.

Otacon wrote: »
    I think he's talking about The Banner Saga there.

As for The Witness' price, I'm not too bothered by it. Apparently the embargo is set for Monday so we will know a day prior to release if the game is worth it.

Personally, it seems right up my street so I will buy it if the reviewers I trust give it a thumbs up.

Bizarre of him to quote my post about The Witness then. ;)

Wasteland 2 at €16 is a very tempting price, but kind of annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a demo. I know it's turn based, so would love to try it out before I buy.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is now €9, which is now the amount that I feel OK to pay on such a short game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I was one win away from getting a Platinum in FIFA 16............................................. then I lost :( ... Hate that I have to save 15,000 coins then enter a tournament and win 4 games in a row to get the platinum, and if I lose I have to save again ...

Playing Hardware Rivals quite a bit now though also and it is pretty decent just takes some time to get used to the controls... Party system on the other hand is pathetic... The game works through the PS Voice Party system somehow and it's just absolutely dreadful to try team up with a mate...

Can anyone recommend a headset?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Can anyone recommend a headset?

I would recommend the PS4 2.0 headset... Have seen it on sale previously for around €60 in Smyths and Argos but may be more expensive now so wait for a sale would probably be the best option...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement