Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

J. Marston wrote: »
    4:10 in, guy says Sony are bringing Crash Bandicoot back...

That combined with this guys shirt at E3...

playstation-experience-2015-keynote-highlights-breakdown.jpg?w=600

and this tweet last week...

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_ME/status/696008709231607808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The stars are aligning, people.

Half Life 3 confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    4:10 in, guy says Sony are bringing Crash Bandicoot back...

That combined with this guys shirt at E3...

playstation-experience-2015-keynote-highlights-breakdown.jpg?w=600

and this tweet last week...

https://twitter.com/PlayStation_ME/status/696008709231607808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The stars are aligning, people.

I will buy a PS4 for a new crash bandicoot game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It better not end up being a movie, skylander or a pog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't even want a new Crash game. I just want the old ones remade or reimagined, including CTR and Crash Bash.

God I love Crash Bash.

HD remaster or even just adding the originals to the Play Station store would be very welcome.

Loved Crash Team Racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

They had Wrath of Cortex on Xbox 360. Used to love playing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

CTR was great but if you held out to be in last position on the last lap, the handicap was so great that you could just nip up to the win with no pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

duploelabs wrote: »
    CTR was great but if you held out to be in last position on the last lap, the handicap was so great that you could just nip up to the win with no pressure

This is the game me and buddy play constantly on the ps3. Nice cutthroat gameplay in it. I remember crash bash too. Me and brother got in a number of fights over that game. In particular the square colouring mini game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never found the Crash Bandicoot games to be all that great with the exception of the third game which was a fine platformer. They were servicible platformers but paled in comparison to what the N64 offered. Even on the PS1 there were better alternatives with the likes of Tomba and Klonoa. Wasn't that big a fan of CTR either. It was a blatant rip off of Diddy Kong Racing and I felt the physics were very floaty. Even on PS1 I thought Speed Freaks was a far better kart racer.

Still, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a new Crash game and it would be a great move for Sony. Crash 3 showed there was a great game using the formula. The generation that grew up with a PS1 are now all grown up and have a voice and buying power. You can see it now with all the reviews talking about how CTR and the Crash games were some sort of classics they really aren't so it would be a good time to introduce newbies to the series they've been hearing about and give the PS generation a nostalgia fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wouldn't say they were classics but I loved all those games too. You're looking back at the times when people would only get 1-2 games a year and if the game was any good, it was an instant fond memory.

That said I'm not sure who actually will buy this bar the hardcore of fans. Everyone wants a Crash game but what kind of game is that and who develops it!?

Unless a future Crash game reviews very well I won't be picking it up anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the 2D platformers Nintendo are putting out on the WiiU are selling very well considering the small audience and stuff like Raymam Legends shows there is a market there for it. I feel the PS4 has a very poor library right now and the market is kind of open for a good platformer on it. People are hungry for some Crash Bandicoot and if it has a good devleoper I can't see it not being a success. I kind of doubt Naughty Dog will be handling it but perhaps Mark Cerny's team that did Knack since he had a hand in the originals.

If it is lets hope it's a damn sight better than Knack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No one mentioning rights, be odd for Sony to spend the money otherwise for a property they don't own when they've alternatives. That's assuming it would be an full exclusive rather than them having either timed exclusivity or it just being a marketing exclusive. They've a new ratchet game coming with the movie and while it's likely delayed the sly film will undoubtedly get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sure there's a rumour knack 2 is currently being worked on, take it as you will.

Can't help but think a new crash game would be **** though, unless it was completely reinvented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I feel the PS4 has a very poor library right now

How so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

For Crash to work i think it has to go back to its routes of 1 to 3 and even the Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex witch i think is a very underrated crash game. It was the 1st game i got for the PS2 back in 2001 and still remember the load times where so bad on it like a good 2 mins to load a LV. But the xbox version that came out a few months later was 10 times better as had faster load times and looked way better i keep on forgetting at times how powerful the 1st xbox was.

I think the old 25 LV will work perfect as look at the mario games its been the same thing since it came out 25 + years ago and if it ant broke dont fix it. As the older crash games are pick up and play games like he Mario games and thats what i am hoping for in a new one.

Also the 1st Knack was-int the worst game its a 7 out of 10 game and is something you play if you dont wont to use to much of your brain after a long day in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

For Crash to work i think it has to go back to its routes of 1 to 3 and even the Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex witch i think is a very underrated crash game. It was the 1st game i got for the PS2 back in 2001 and still remember the load times where so bad on it like a good 2 mins to load a LV. But the xbox version that came out a few months later was 10 times better as had faster load times and looked way better i keep on forgetting at times how powerful the 1st xbox was.

I think the old 25 LV will work perfect as look at the mario games its been the same thing since it came out 25 + years ago and if it ant broke dont fix it. As the older crash games are pick up and play games like he Mario games and thats what i am hoping for in a new one.

Also the 1st Knack was-int the worst game its a 7 out of 10 game and is something you play if you dont wont to use to much of your brain after a long day in work.

Orizio wrote: »
    How so.

As some one with a gaming PC there's literally barely anything on PS4 that I can't play as a superior version on PC. The exception is Bloodbourne which was so good it's worth the price of a PS4 but for now I'm still looking for exclusives to make it worthwhile. At least 2016 looks to be offering a few at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So for you it has a poor library. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As some one with a gaming PC there's literally barely anything on PS4 that I can't play as a superior version on PC. The exception is Bloodbourne which was so good it's worth the price of a PS4 but for now I'm still looking for exclusives to make it worthwhile. At least 2016 looks to be offering a few at last.

Well comparing it to what you can get from Steam, yeah, it loses hands down. Then again Steam has been building up its library for a decade plus and you need a top of the range PC to play a number of games on PC that you can play on a much cheaper machine like a PS4.

If you have the cash, PC is the way to go. Otherwise, I think the PS4 has a pretty decent library, exclusive and non-exclusive.

Anyone else picked up The Witness?

I'm totally hooked. Puzzle based game set on an empty island to anyone who hasn't seen it. Some very clever, some infuriating.

Island is divided up into about 15/16 little areas, each with their own set of puzzles to complete the area. So far, I've about 10 of these done and only 1 I didnt enjoy - it was sound-based and seemed just a little complicated for the sake of it, as opposed to clever.

Would recommend. Think its €35 on the PS Store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, have spoken at length about it over in the main thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057497039 :)

As happily as I'd call it my favourite game of recent times (and that's by a major margin), it's not something I'd necessarily recommend to anyone. But I think for anyone willing to commit to figuring out the mechanics, themes and secrets it's really on a different level to most contemporary games - even if I understood how it has left even some dedicated players on the other side of the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know if the Escapists Walking Dead game is any good? It's on the ps store now, was 18 euro, now 14.39 for ps+ members for the next week.

Yep, have spoken at length about it over in the main thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057497039 :)

As happily as I'd call it my favourite game of recent times (and that's by a major margin), it's not something I'd necessarily recommend to anyone. But I think for anyone willing to commit to figuring out the mechanics, themes and secrets it's really on a different level to most contemporary games - even if I understood how it has left even some dedicated players on the other side of the fence.

D'oh - missed the main thread! Will hop over there to discuss it further.

It's the game I've enjoyed the most so far this year for sure, but it certainly wouldn't be for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

anyone recommend picking up Mortal Kombat X?? I'm not really a big fighting game fan but it looks class from what videos I've seen plus you can play as Jason, Predator plus Leatherface and the alien are coming out on it I believe... Should I wait and get Mortal Kombat XL or is Street Fighter 5 a better fighting game??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

anyone recommend picking up Mortal Kombat X?? I'm not really a big fighting game fan but it looks class from what videos I've seen plus you can play as Jason, Predator plus Leatherface and the alien are coming out on it I believe... Should I wait and get Mortal Kombat XL or is Street Fighter 5 a better fighting game??

It is the probably the second best fighting game on the PS4 after Guilty Gear, it has a lot of modes and a lot of unlockables, varied roster and great mechanics.

Even though I picked up Street Fighter today, I would not recommend it unless you are big on playing online, it does not even have a vs cpu mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Definitely leave street figher a few months if you're not desperate for online play. very little for single player on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

cheers for the replies ya I'll go with Mortal Kombat X had a gawk at Street Fighter 5 it looks decent but I don't think it would be my cup of tea

Beefy78 wrote: »
    So for you it has a poor library. Fair enough.

No need to be butt hurt. I never said otherwise but as some one that usually has all the consoles and a gaming PC the PS4 really offers next to nothing, especially considering the price of a comparable or better PC.its been nearly 2.5 years after release but the PS3 was similarly poor at this stage but ended up being a pretty great machine by the end so I'm hoping it starts to pick up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not butt hurt in the least. I said your statement once you'd qualified it was fair enough.

I'd imagine that most people who have a PS4 don't have a gaming PC and therefore commenting on the library from your perspective without qualifying that comment wasn't particularly helpful and was bound to provoke a couple of comments. It's like me saying DVD has a poor library because I only watch Blu Rays.

But whatever, not meaning to cause bother :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is there a reliable fix for the ds4 lag / connection issues? Can't find anything solid or recent about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement