Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Hitman gonna be any good? Liked previous versions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Hitman gonna be any good? Liked previous versions

Have the first episode. Enjoying it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've put some time into it myself, beat 3 bosses so far.

It's definitely a fun game if you're a souls fan. Possibly the best thing about it is how quick you can restart. There doesn't seem to be any loading in the game, when you die, you're back fighting again after a few short seconds.

The negatives I'd have are the hitboxes are little odd at times and I found the bosses to be a little cheap.Maybe it's because I'm playing with a character without a shield so my only option is to roll away but it can be a bit difficult to get an attack in.

Anyway I'd still highly recommend, I've had a lot of fun so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

so PlayStation vr is €400 and out in October

Anyone know what the camera is going for used, or move for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Salt and Sanctuary is so bloody good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭Evade

Varik wrote: »
    so PlayStation vr is €400 and out in October

Anyone know what the camera is going for used, or move for that matter.
    Probably head tracking or motion controls.

This can't be right, can it? 1080p at 120Hz.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/heres-what-comes-playstation-vr-box/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grfb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Evade wrote: »
    Probably head tracking or motion controls.

This can't be right, can it? 1080p at 120Hz.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/heres-what-comes-playstation-vr-box/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grfb

I think he meant what price you can buy them second hand. :)

And 1080p at 120Hz would be pretty standard for most tvs? The TV I bought 6 years ago supports 1080p at 200hz?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

J. Marston wrote: »
    Salt and Sanctuary is so bloody good.

It sure is.
    Have been doing some jolly co-operation for the last hour with my son.

Best $18 I've spent in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭Evade

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think he meant what price you can buy them second hand. :)
    I misread.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    And 1080p at 120Hz would be pretty standard for most tvs? The TV I bought 6 years ago supports 1080p at 200hz?
    Seems like overkill for a PS4 which can only put out 1080p at 30Hz sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Evade wrote: »
    I misread.

Seems like overkill for a PS4 which can only put out 1080p at 30Hz sometimes.

From what I remember The 120Hz is Interpolated so it they'll be aiming for a stable 60FPS in VR games.

Edit: this article breaks it down nicely:

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-confirms-new-90hz-display-mode-for-playstation-vr-formerly-morpheus/

• Advertisement

Apparently there'll be a bundle with the camera, so may get that as the prices used for the Camera or new aren't great.

Wait -- Hitman is being released episodically?

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wait -- Hitman is being released episodically?

Huh?

Yes, the full retail release will be January 2017 if you want to wait.

I was sure this was announced already or honestly it could have been one of the other VR headsets but they've said that the external processing unit can output a separate video to the TV in addition to un-vring what the guy with the headset sees.

Could be some cool asymmetrical gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

"This weekend race in Trackmania Turbo during our Open Beta on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

This Open Beta will start Friday March 18th at 2PM CET and will last until Monday 21st at 2PM CET. It will feature several tracks of the campaign, the online racing mode, and the Trackbuilder!"

Varik wrote: »
    I was sure this was announced already or honestly it could have been one of the other VR headsets but they've said that the external processing unit can output a separate video to the TV in addition to un-vring what the guy with the headset sees.

Could be some cool asymmetrical gameplay.

I can't imagine it being the PS4 VR. I'd assume maybe the Vive or the Oculus. But I heard that the PS4 VR (PSVR? No idea what it's called anymore) will have it's own separate processing unit to the console itself, so it might be.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    "This weekend race in Trackmania Turbo during our Open Beta on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

This Open Beta will start Friday March 18th at 2PM CET and will last until Monday 21st at 2PM CET. It will feature several tracks of the campaign, the online racing mode, and the Trackbuilder!"

Amazing news. Loved Trackmania in college!

I can't imagine it being the PS4 VR. I'd assume maybe the Vive or the Oculus. But I heard that the PS4 VR (PSVR? No idea what it's called anymore) will have it's own separate processing unit to the console itself, so it might be.

It is the ps vr, just thought that feature WAS announced already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Yes the PSVR can show a seperate screen that is not mirrored, on your monitor albeit at only 720p. Its capable of mirroring the VR display to your monitor also.
    It sort of streams the video over usb to the HDMI port just like iPads and iPhones with the lightning port stream at a resolution close to 720p using a chip in the HDMI adapter cable (the old dock connector was capable of true hdmi output, not the case anymore as the lightning port is a glrorified USB 2.0 port)

You can see it 1 minute into this video:

This link will tell you all you need to know about the external Processing Unit:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-does-playstation-vr-external-processor-unit-actually-do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Hoping these stories are BS. But it appears that both Sony & Microsoft are both considering a hardware upgrade already :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well it has been 3 years, so its not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

ERG89 wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Hoping these stories are BS. But it appears that both Sony & Microsoft are both considering a hardware upgrade already :confused:

It wouldn't be the most surprising thing ever.

The current generation were underpowered on release and are woefully underpowered in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Yeah, I don't see the problem at all. If people don't want to upgrade, they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

not to mention the fact the hardware isn't really that custom anymore, so there shouldn't be an issue with backwards compatibility on any newer systems since they're all basically small pc's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I don't see the problem at all. If people don't want to upgrade, they don't have to.

I think it's a bad idea because imagine you bought a PS4 to play Uncharted 4 and then they turn around and say it's coming to PS4 and PS4.5 and will run and play better on 4.5.
    An example would be Perfect Dark on the N64 with regard the memory pak
    faq-pd-expak.jpg

Or more recently, how Xenoblade was exclusive to New 3DS.

So they risk alienating a lot of the user base who weren't expecting to have to get another new console until PS5 in a few years.

Personally I only got a PS4 before Christmas. If it was an add on like the memory pak and was a decent price, I may get it. But if they expect to sell a brand new console, then I won't be getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

If Sony and MS go with this move I reckon my next console will be a PC.

I've been considering moving PC direction for a while now and if there's going to be upgrading with consoles I may as well go PC.

I'd continue to buy the Nintendo consoles to have a living room rig but main gaming on PC would be the obvious choice for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭Damien360

That has to be a nonsense story. It may be happening for the next generation in the usual planned cycle of 6 to 8 years.

The cost of developing games with more graphical power may be prohibitive. More rendering and more development.

Current 4K TV's have not yet made the impact in numbers to the end user yet. It would be questionable as to the real demand for this from end users at this moment. Remember how long we had the PS3/XB360 on standard scart cable before HD was truly affordable.

Game prices could be pushed past the consumer breaking point due to point 1 above and they could kill the golden goose. Neither MS or Sony want that situation.

All this will change in time but it is too soon for a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think it's a bad idea because imagine you bought a PS4 to play Uncharted 4 and then they turn around and say it's coming to PS4 and PS4.5 and will run and play better on 4.5.
    An example would be Perfect Dark on the N64 with regard the memory pak
    faq-pd-expak.jpg

Or more recently, how Xenoblade was exclusive to New 3DS.

So they risk alienating a lot of the user base who weren't expecting to have to get another new console until PS5 in a few years.

Personally I only got a PS4 before Christmas. If it was an add on like the memory pak and was a decent price, I may get it. But if they expect to sell a brand new console, then I won't be getting one.

At least the 3DS had a second analogue stick but even that wasn't enough to tempt me. But f**k them for putting snes games only on it!
    I have a ps4 about 2 years it's ok but I doubt I played it as much as my 360. A lot (not all) of my games are remasters, available on last gen & 3rd party. But looking forward to Mass Effect Andromeda & Uncharted 4.
    Not a lot of titles delivered on their promise & often are buggy so by the time their fixed I'm not as enthusiastic to play it by the time it's fixed. I don't ever look at a game and bemoan it's graphics or think this needs VR. That's not the problem with current titles.
    Like others I'd probably just buy a PC if the direction is VR & a PS4.5.
    I'd rather they just release a ps5 as it'd be a significant upgrade for the few hundred I'm asked to shell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm not surprised this is happening and even suggested it would in the VR thread before I was shot down as a silly idea.

Simple fact is that the generation 8 consoles were recession machines, they have modest specs to stay at a low price point of €400.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 were €600 and €500. They were more powerful for their time than the PS4 or XB1.

There simply is no way these consoles can last as log as the last gen console did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Recession machines :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm not surprised this is happening and even suggested it would in the VR thread before I was shot down as a silly idea.

Simple fact is that the generation 8 consoles were recession machines, they have modest specs to stay at a low price point of €400.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 were €600 and €500. They were more powerful for their time than the PS4 or XB1.

There simply is no way these consoles can last as log as the last gen console did.

Very true. I have a PS4 since launch and I have to agree it's been disappointing in terms of graphics power and original games. The consoles are vastly underpowered at this stage. They struggle with current games 1080p/30fps and lowering to 900p is becoming more common with newer titles and I feel the situation is only gonna get more noticeable as developers push graphics. There is no way they are gonna get another 5-7 years out of these machines unless the games and resolution gets compromised more and more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement