Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I was expecting almost every game to be 60fps on PS4. There's really not that many at all from what I've played anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If something like this does happen it won't be announced until next year. At the moment the focus is on selling PSVR. The last thing sony want to do is create more complexity in the market.

Also I don't really understand the "I expected everything to run at 60fps" mentality. Things could run at that no problem but obviously marketing knows it's a lot easier to sell a good looking game than to explain to joe bloggs that the game is running at 60fps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If Sony and MS go with this move I reckon my next console will be a PC.

I've been considering moving PC direction for a while now and if there's going to be upgrading with consoles I may as well go PC.

I'd continue to buy the Nintendo consoles to have a living room rig but main gaming on PC would be the obvious choice for me.

I reckon this will be the direction that a lot of console owners will go

I reckon this will be the direction that a lot of console owners will go

Well if they are unhappy having to shell out €350-400 to upgrade once over the course of 6+ years because they can't play a game at a higher quality then PC isn't the way to go :pac:

tok9 wrote: »
    If something like this does happen it won't be announced until next year. At the moment the focus is on selling PSVR. The last thing sony want to do is create more complexity in the market.

Also I don't really understand the "I expected everything to run at 60fps" mentality. Things could run at that no problem but obviously marketing knows it's a lot easier to sell a good looking game than to explain to joe bloggs that the game is running at 60fps.

Personally I think the 60fps is what makes a game look better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The ps4 felt rushed out anyway, so its no surprise really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Well if they are unhappy having to shell out €350-400 to upgrade once over the course of 6+ years because they can't play a game at a higher quality then PC isn't the way to go :pac:

It's not really the money though, well not for me anyway.

The thing is consoles pretty much up to this point bar a few expansions and failed add on's have been a standalone unit that lasted for 5 years'ish.

If there's going to be tinkering to be had to get better quality gaming personally I think I'd rather just go the PC route. That way I can just upgrade as I see fit.

It also means I'd have a fairly high spec'd pc to do other stuff with so its less limiting than a console.

I'm in absolutely no rush here though. Even if my ps4 is the underpowered one for another year or two I'd stick with it.

I only bought it because I got it for €329 with Killzone in Argos 2 years ago when they were clearing stock.

Sure I only own a handful of games on it. Spent the first entire year playing destiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

But if you are willing to upgrade then why not have a pc? Way more games to choose from etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The PS3 and Xbox 360 were €600 and €500. They were more powerful for their time than the PS4 or XB1.

The xbox 360 launched at 400 euros (I think in Ireland we paid 420 euros due to the recycling fee) significantly cheaper than the Xbox One. The core version was also available for 300 euros.

https://news.microsoft.com/2005/08/17/microsoft-announces-xbox-360-price-for-europe-and-north-america-starts-at-299-99-u-s-e299-99209-99/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ERG89 wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Hoping these stories are BS. But it appears that both Sony & Microsoft are both considering a hardware upgrade already :confused:

My prediction

-There's no reason for Sony to push a new hardware level, they've clawed back a substantial % of the market and have clearly taken lead console this generation. Becoming the lead console is pretty much all you need, get the most consoles into someones home and the 3rd party developers will produce to your level. We've seen this already clearly with the ps2 despite being substantially weaker then both the xbox and gamecube because it held the lions share it got to dictate the terms.

While the PS4 may not hold the same level of market control as the ps2 did, it does hold the larger portion and unlike with the ps2 they are the more powerful console so there is no reason to upset the boat by forcing change.

I expect something from Microsoft, but nothing major, they've been hurt a few times now this generation with titles not running as well on their end, a lot of what was the xbox one's selling features (Kinect, all in one entertainment tv hub gimmick) have either flopped or been sub par so I fully expect them to drop a slimline xbox one with those features completely scrapped and an upped ram/cpu with bigger hard drive combo to match the ps4 at a cheaper price. It wont affect games it would just be similar to how the slimline ps2 ran a lot smoother then the classic ps2.

As for Sony, its a given there will be slimline machine and it would make sense to put one out near the release of VR to help tidy up the console to work with VR. IF the oculus and Vive are anything to go by the vr headset will come with a bounty of cables and crap and I'd say this new ps4 model will be designed to streamline a lot of that down so its very plug and play. I'd imagine the current PS4 models will end up sacrificing a few usb ports Plus some extra power box hanging off it somewhere for VR.

And like the new xbox and ps2 slim and ps3 slim there may be some slight improvements in the hardware for better performance.

BUT THERE WILL NOT BE a 4K PS4 model.

What there will be is some proper sony pr bullsh*t tying the updated ps4 model with a new line of sony 4k tvs were they will make a big song and dance about some type of upscaling they've developed to allow ps4 games to play at 4k. But it will only be on sony tvs and only the newest ones that will have the feature in it and on top of that it wont be true 4k, it'll be some upscaling trick where the ps4 is outputting at 1080 but the tv is doubling it on its end to get the 4k effect.

We've seen this before when they tried to push 3d tvs, they paraded the ps3 out as a 3D games console and pushed it as a pairing. Buy a 3d tv with a 3d ready ps3. All sony branded for a lot of money.

Sony havnt done a proper release of 4k tvs since 2014, they've put out updated models of the same design in 2015. It is timing wise around the right time to drop a new line of 4k tvs for the 2016 christmas season and if they've developed a new upscaling process that allows the ps4 to look like its 4k then it is a good time to repackage the ps4 in a new slim model and make a big song and dance about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

But if you are willing to upgrade then why not have a pc? Way more games to choose from etc?

Why not have both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why not have both?

Most games on ps4 / Xbox one are on PC so for me anyway I'd grab a Nintendo console as it has the exclusives I'd be interested in. (That said I already own a ps4)

If I was mad keen on a particular MS or Sony franchise then I suppose I would buy that console too but to be honest I'd find it waaay to hard to justify considering as I said most games will be on PC.

If I got round to playing most games I'd be doing well nevermind having to buy another console for a handful of exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyone else picking this up tomorrow, have great memories of the original along with Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Grim Fandango and The Secret of Monkey Island among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Xenji wrote: »
    Anyone else picking this up tomorrow, have great memories of the original along with Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Grim Fandango and The Secret of Monkey Island among others.

Won't pick it up tomorrow but it will definitely be on my radar for the next while. One of the only lucas arts games I never got around to playing. My roommate in college swore by it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I got the ps4 last night but cant connect online to play against friends.

Is this an issue with the console itself or the interet connection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

TheNap wrote: »
    I got the ps4 last night but cant connect online to play against friends.

Is this an issue with the console itself or the interet connection ?

Are you using a wired or wireless connection and have you done a network test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Did you purchase a PSN subscription? You need one to play online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I have a wireless connection and have psn . I've done a network test and it says internet connection is ok . Could the problem be from his end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

One thing that can cause issues is your/their Nat type if it is strict. There should be youtube videos showing you how to check / change the NAT type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Xenji wrote: »

Never managed to finish it, always got stuck at a certain point was a class game, might be freebie soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

TheNap wrote: »
    I have a wireless connection and have psn . I've done a network test and it says internet connection is ok . Could the problem be from his end ?

Are you using UPC? Had the same problem myself with UPC wireless was getting 80%+ signal strength but none of the online would load (friends,trophies etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Turns out anyone who downloaded the season pass for Fallout 4 while it glitched, their access has been revoked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Bully (Canis Canem Edit) and Manhunt have been released as PS2 classics on PS4, both €14.99.

Been dying for some PSN iteration of Bully for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bully (Canis Canem Edit) and Manhunt have been released as PS2 classics on PS4, both €14.99.

Been dying for some PSN iteration of Bully for years.

Jesus, they were 1.99 each on the ps3 store when I bought bully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RedXIV wrote: »
    Jesus, they were 1.99 each on the ps3 store when I bought bully

https://psprices.com/region-ie/game/60936/canis-canem-edit

Normally it's 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gonna wait for a sale on these. Would love to play both again but not for 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Battlefield 4 is on PS Store for a tenner. That's some bargain, the game runs so well now compared to when it was released. Would highly recommend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Does it have any single player campaign? I've never been sold on FPS games but it is very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Beefy78 wrote:
    Does it have any single player campaign? I've never been sold on FPS games but it is very cheap.

Yep it has a campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BF4 campaign is the most worthless piece of sheer mediocrity I have ever played through. Don't waste your time or money unless you want to play multiplayer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement