Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

would you recommend gaming in general with a headset, never thought to get one, but since the baby arrived playing all my games on mute with subtitles :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

astonaidan wrote: »
    would you recommend gaming in general with a headset, never thought to get one, but since the baby arrived playing all my games on mute with subtitles :o

It improves the entire experience. I picked up my first set last week and I'm kicking myself for not doing it years ago. It's not just that the sound is better, it's also about being able to hear enemy footsteps creeping up on you, etc. The Sony headset is a steal at that price. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was the same, thought about it for years and realised it was the best thing ever after getting a set from herself. I have the Sony ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have never had a gaming headset, I currently use a pair of AKG K712s and many others over the years especially to play horror games, really adds to the atmosphere, having the headphone jack on the PS4 controller is really handy as well when herself is asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sound on these Sony ones is fairly good. I'm impressed how light they feel on the head. I've already experienced the advantage of having the surround sound on Overwatch, hearing who's doing what all around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If anyone is looking for a headset purely for the in-game sound rather than chatting over the mic, I'd highly recommend just getting a great pair of headphones instead. Many good models have an inline mic on the cord so you can still talk online, but the difference in sound quality between a gaming headset and a good pair of Sennheisers is immense, in favour of the latter of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

martyos121 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a headset purely for the in-game sound rather than chatting over the mic, I'd highly recommend just getting a great pair of headphones instead. Many good models have an inline mic on the cord so you can still talk online, but the difference in sound quality between a gaming headset and a good pair of Sennheisers is immense, in favour of the latter of course.

Depends on the Sennheisers. I have a pair of the HD25-1 II. Outstanding audio quality for music but they're not comfortable for gaming whatsoever, and their flat signal isn't always what you want when gaming. Perhaps Sennheiser's larger studio cans are more preferable, or maybe the consumer range, but either way I'd caution against buying a set of headphones simply based on sound quality if you're going to be spending a lot of time gaming with them. There's various other factors at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

A pair of Kingston Hyper X would be much recommended too.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Depends on the Sennheisers. I have a pair of the HD25-1 II. Outstanding audio quality for music but they're not comfortable for gaming whatsoever

Fully agree. I've a pair and I can use them for about an hour and it's not comfortable.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Depends on the Sennheisers. I have a pair of the HD25-1 II. Outstanding audio quality for music but they're not comfortable for gaming whatsoever, and their flat signal isn't always what you want when gaming. Perhaps Sennheiser's larger studio cans are more preferable, or maybe the consumer range, but either way I'd caution against buying a set of headphones simply based on sound quality if you're going to be spending a lot of time gaming with them. There's various other factors at play.

That's why I said good ones man. ;)

Just after getting a pair of HD 598s because I wanted a bit of a step up over my Sonys, and they are incredible, doubly so for gaming, and you wouldn't even know you were wearing them, incredible comfort.

Really though, any good headphones will do, just used Sennheiser as an example because their higher-end products are insanely good, better than anything I've ever used. The cheap ones, not so much.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    That's why I said good ones man. ;)

Ah, now! :)

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah, now! :)

Just to give context, that wasn't me being a snobby twat or anything, just saying their cheap models really are awful for gaming because I've tried one. Really don't want anyone getting the wrong idea from what I said.

Ah I know, but I think the HD25-1 II are considered slight higher end than the HD 598s, no? Either way, we're talking 2 great sets of headphones, but the 25's feel really uncomfortable for gaming anyway.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah I know, but I think the HD25-1 II are considered slight higher end than the HD 598s, no? Either way, we're talking 2 great sets of headphones, but the 25's feel really uncomfortable for gaming anyway.

Great pair of headphones without question and better in many ways, but DJ headphones aren't best suited to gaming. The 598s give a surround sound effect, for a cinematic experience.

I think I misread the model number at first glance, but the point is still valid, despite their higher price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I can't agree that the PS4 headset is decent. Maybe it's just me and i'm doing something wrong but i can never get a decent balance between game audio and chat. Either the game is too loud and I can't hear the chat, or vice versa.
    I've tried playing with the settings but without success. Any suggestions appreciated because at the moment I've gone back to my Seinheisers which are fine but not what i want to use them for.

Actually, I'm having the same issue, the slider doesn't seem to work on the mix. It's ok when I'm talking one on one, but I was in a group of 6 tonight and I wanted to turn down the chat and the slider just... made no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think my PS4 has something terminal. Couple of times in the last week it wouldn't read the disc. Just hangs and the only way to get it going again is to unplug it, which is always heart in mouth time.

Had the problem before with TLOU but it's now started with the Borderlands disc. Yesterday the BL2 disc was in the machine and I couldn't get it out. The option to remove disc was gone from the "disc options", hitting the centre button on the console just puts the console into hibernation - actually this hasn't ejected discs for ages. Every time it powered up it would try and read the disc and hang.

Eventually deleted game, managed to remove the disc by going into another game and selecting the option, reinstalled BL2 and it worked. This is how I think I got TLOU working again.

I'd probably just buy a new PS4 if the rumoured 4.5 wasn't coming out (any news on when this might be launched?). Hope my old one lasts a little longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any other DJ's similar to myself who want to use fancy headphones on PS4, this yoke here seems to be the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XQYPKNO/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?qid=1465457775&sr=8-44&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ps4+headset+controller+mute&dpPl=1&dpID=317kJ36jPuL&ref=plSrch

I have a pair of AiAiAi TMA-1 headphones, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, I'd say the dongle above would do for that and for the likes of apple iPod earphones....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Fieldog wrote: »
    Any other DJ's similar to myself who want to use fancy headphones on PS4, this yoke here seems to be the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00XQYPKNO/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?qid=1465457775&sr=8-44&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ps4+headset+controller+mute&dpPl=1&dpID=317kJ36jPuL&ref=plSrch

I have a pair of AiAiAi TMA-1 headphones, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, I'd say the dongle above would do for that and for the likes of apple iPod earphones....

Find the AiAiAi sound and insulation really poor compared to the HD-25, kept a pair for about 4 months and then sold them on and went back to the sennheisers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Anybody tried a Scuf controller on the PS4. Tempted to get one for overwatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

duploelabs wrote: »
    Find the AiAiAi sound and insulation really poor compared to the HD-25, kept a pair for about 4 months and then sold them on and went back to the sennheisers

I wasn't comparing them to Seinheiser earphones?

Just linking a dongle that makes them work on PS4...

I couldn't use "proper" cans on a console, I'm more of a 1 ear chat type guy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I have been away for over a week now but I know how much hatred the first Watch_Dogs got here, but just saw the screenshots for the 2nd and it looks amazing... I was one of the few that enjoyed the first one... Definitely purchasing that..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have been away for over a week now but I know how much hatred the first Watch_Dogs got here, but just saw the screenshots for the 2nd and it looks amazing... I was one of the few that enjoyed the first one... Definitely purchasing that..

It is already getting the same hatred as the first one, what you see in those screenshots is not how it will look on release, same with every other Ubisfot game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Xenji wrote: »
    It is already getting the same hatred as the first one, what you see in those screenshots is not how it will look on release, same with every other Ubisfot game.

The siege clips would make you wanna buy it but the gameplay picture was ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Xenji wrote: »
    what you see in those screenshots is not how it will look on release, same with every other Ubisfot game.

I don't know - the visuals in the gameplay vids shown so far don't look unobtainable. I don't think they are as impressive as the early demos that were shown for the first Watch_Dogs or The Division. They have to learn their lesson sometime but their track record is pretty bad alright.

My main problem with the first was just how fûcking boring Aidan was as a main character. A bit more work on the story, and they fix the hopeless driving and I'd be happy.

Will definitely be holding off for reviews first though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The trailer for WD2 reminded me of GTA V's first trailer graphics wise, I do think it looks cool though.

I actually liked Aiden, the only problems I had with the game was the terrible car physics and the side missions which weren't too bad just doing practically the same mission 40 times for a trophy was a chore and not one bit enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

maximoose wrote: »

Will definitely be holding off for reviews first though :)

Sorry off topic but I was laughing at a guys name in Battlefield 4 within the past week on XB1, "Pat Mustard" was that you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haha yes, figured I was due a change when Xbox freed up all the old tags - I must have gone through 30 different Fr Ted characters before finding one that was free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    just doing practically the same mission 40 times for a trophy was a chore and not one bit enjoyable.

Here's an idea... don't do things just for a virtual trophy, maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Here's an idea... don't do things just for a virtual trophy, maybe?

I didn't do it just for the trophy, I started them because they were part of the game and only finished them for the sake of the trophy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement