Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Trophies??? Can't view link at the moment.

It does have trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is Battleborn worth getting for €25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Trophies??? Can't view link at the moment.

Yeah, 13 no Platinum though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Does anyone use Playstation TV for gaming in another room? Is there much input delay/lag for FPS games? Does it connect to the Router or the PS4 itself via wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cormac... wrote: »
    Does anyone use Playstation TV for gaming in another room? Is there much input delay/lag for FPS games? Does it connect to the Router or the PS4 itself via wifi?

I use it. I found it unacceptable for lag over wifi for games with critical response times. I was able to play RPGs easily enough but I wouldn't recommend trying to stream FPS games to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You would really need to have everything wired to get the full capabilites of game streaming. Even powerline adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You would really need to have everything wired to get the full capabilites of game streaming. Even powerline adapters.

I have those. I guess I would have to pick which one of the 2 devices actually gets the power line adaptors

Cormac... wrote: »
    I have those. I guess I would have to pick which one of the 2 devices actually gets the power line adaptors

Or pick up 1 more and have both wired ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is Battleborn worth getting for €25?

I would get Overwatch over it, its not a bad game but just ended up seeming bland and uninspired, it might be because I got it around the same time as Doom and Overwatch and it just paled in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Red Dead Redemption is coming back this Friday

XBox only :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's only backwards compatibility though, I'm currently playing through Undead Nightmare again for the first time in 5 years on my PS3, and it's still a badass game on that system. Still looks great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Ah here, leave it out.

Nailz wrote: »
    It's only backwards compatibility though, I'm currently playing through Undead Nightmare again for the first time in 5 years on my PS3, and it's still a badass game on that system. Still looks great too.

If they're to get it onto XBox One, they're able to get it on PS4

Hopefully they will soon

Be cheaper than rebuying a PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Hopefully they will soon

They won't, it's done using the Xbox One's backwards compatibility, the PS4 has no backwards compatibility with PS3 games. So unless the game is remastered or rereleased on PS4 it won't happen.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    They won't, it's done using the Xbox One's backwards compatibility, the PS4 has no backwards compatibility with PS3 games. So unless the game is remastered or rereleased on PS4 it won't happen.

Oh didn't realise this, guess that's one thing XBox definitely has over PS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hopefully they will soon

See I'm not quite sure Sony will at all though.

I have been reading quite a bit about the architecture of the Xbox One compared to the Xbox 360 and the difficultly in actually getting the new hardware to emulate the 360's OS. Not just emulating it in any old way, but actually ensuring the performance was up to a standard that made the feature worth-while for those playing.
    It turns out it was a huge task; you have to consider the fact that the Xbox One was not built with this in mind, and that backwards compatibility was an after-thought that followed the console's initial launch.

The PS4 is arguably a more powerful and capable console in comparison to the Xbox One, so on the face of that you would think it wouldn't be an issue, but there are three major factors to take into consideration that could strongly suggest they won't bother implementing backwards compatibility in this generation at all:

1) They have to compete with emulating an OS and its corresponding games that were designed with the Cell processor in mind. I'm no guru on the operational aspects of Cell in comparison to the PS4's hardware, but given what I do know of Cell vs. general purpose processors is that they differ in a number of departments. I would imagine it would be difficult emulating the PS3 on the PS4's current hardware to a standard that is acceptable enough to be considered "backwards compatible". That said though, this could be factored into the Neo's specs...

2) Possibly the most important thing to consider is that Sony would have no real motivation to implement backwards compatibility this generation as they have effectively already won this battle over the Xbox. It's remained the console of choice this gen in spite of Microsoft improving the Xbox One and its services by leaps and bounds since the abysmal start of its lifecycle.
    Because of this, I believe Sony would see the time and effort required to make BC work on the PS4 (accounting also the difficulty it posed Microsoft, as well as factor #1) would just be a waste of resources.
    40+ million people already own a PS4, and they will only be catering for those with a big enough PS3 library anyway; Sony wouldn't be gaining much from it.

3) In PS Now, Sony already have an alternative solution to the issue of BC anyway. This comes with more of a business mindset built into it, as they can charge for it. That, as well as the fact it's only available in certain countries to people with good enough internet to make it serviceable, makes it a fairly crap alternative to those who want PS3 BC.
    Also, if Sony was to make emulation-based BC an official feature of the PS4, it would cannibalise a portion of PS Now's market.

Because of those, I really can't see Sony doing it unless they integrate BC capabilities into the Neo to make it more marketable. That's not to say I don't want that to happen, it would be great if it we could, but it's wouldn't be the end of the world either. I bought a PS4 to play PS4 games, I knew it couldn't play PS3 games when I got it so even if it still doesn't down the line I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Any information on the "modmygame" website? Young lad here wants to spend around €40 on a character/account pre loaded with a lot of gta cash and at a high level. Am I looking for trouble allowing him to get it?

Any information on the "modmygame" website? Young lad here wants to spend around €40 on a character/account pre loaded with a lot of gta cash and at a high level. Am I looking for trouble allowing him to get it?

Not sure I'd try it myself but facebook comments here:
    OYKU1dl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭Evade

It sounds like a scam. Unless you also get access to the email address associated with the new account after you've bought the account the owner of the email can reset the password and then sell it on to someone else.

Evade wrote: »
    It sounds like a scam. Unless you also get access to the email address associated with the new account after you've bought the account the owner of the email can reset the password and then sell it on to someone else.

I'm guessing the character will end up on your own PS account. They probably make one on a 3rd party PS account, then give you the account which you transfer the character from that account to your own PS/ Rockstar account. Just my guess.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/202892778-Transferring-Your-Previous-Grand-Theft-Auto-Online-Characters-and-Progression-to-PlayStation-4-Xbox-One-or-PC

Not condoning it either.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing the character will end up on your own PS account. They probably make one on a 3rd party PS account, then give you the account which you transfer the character from that account to your own PS/ Rockstar account. Just my guess.

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/202892778-Transferring-Your-Previous-Grand-Theft-Auto-Online-Characters-and-Progression-to-PlayStation-4-Xbox-One-or-PC

Not condoning it either.
    That would mean giving them access to your account which seems like a bad idea too. From your link.
    Note: When transferring from PlayStation®3 to PlayStation®4, you must use the same PSN ID. A new PSN ID on PlayStation®4 cannot be transferred to from a different PSN ID on PlayStation®3 since your character’s progress is tied to the PSN account.

Evade wrote: »
    That would mean giving them access to your account which seems like a bad idea too. From your link.

Could be a 360 account, then just use rockstar social club?

I have no idea really :confused: I'm just guessing like previously mentioned.

Could be a 360 account, then just use rockstar social club?

I have no idea really :confused: I'm just guessing like previously mentioned.
    I had a look at their Facebook page and there's a comment from them saying they do PS3 to PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Have completed the Uncharted series. Im going to get The Last of Us next. Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Have completed the Uncharted series. Im going to get The Last of Us next. Any other recommendations?

The Witcher 3, even if you don't like RPGs it's a brilliant game. There is a game of the year edition due soon with all the DLC included, they are massive DLC packs, bigger that the whole Witcher 2 game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mr Arrior wrote: »

Bloodborne. One of the best PS4 games out there.

I didn't realise No Man's Sky had an actual release date, and so soon.

Be interesting to see if it lives up to all the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I didn't realise No Man's Sky had an actual release date, and so soon.

Be interesting to see if it lives up to all the hype.

I'd imagine it's going to be very dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'd imagine it's going to be very dull.

Who pissed on your planet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Who pissed on your planet?

Come on now, plenty of planets to go around :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement