Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'd imagine it's going to be very dull.

To be fair, I think you're right. It looks to be a technical marvel but what I've seen of the gameplay strikes me as very boring. I'm glad games like this are being developed, and credit to the players who will put massive hours into it, but I'll be giving it a pass unless reviews of the final build convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It literally went gold a couple of hours ago.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/751141699880095745

So looks like the release date is solidified. I'm really curious about it but there doesn't seem to be anything that says "OMG i have to get this".........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hope it sells well for them anyway, nice to see an Irish guy make a big impact in the games industry (even though the rest of his studio aren't from here).

If it reviews well, I'll definitely be picking it up before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I was never into the idea of No Man's Sky's gameplay, but I really hope the procedural generation aspect of the game delivers on its massive promise. If it pays off, you may see other studios utilising their methods and innovating on top of it, you could see the scope of big budget games increase even further!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

gimmick wrote: »
    As I'm new to PS4 and a big Assassins Creed fan i said I would continue chronologically with the releases. So I bought Unity. I am reluctant to say that it is on a par with AC3. Its leaving me cold. Its just boring :mad:

Heading down to CEX at lunchtime to cash in on Uncharted while its value is still high, so will try pick up something for the weekend there.

I picked up Unity yesterday on the XB1 for €2.35 from CDKeys. I hope it's worth that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I enjoyed Unity so 2.35 is an absolute steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

TinCanMan wrote: »
    Bloodborne. One of the best PS4 games out there.

Played it for a few hours when it came out.

So over rated by people I hated it thought it was a very poor game. Would class it with Skyram as the boards. Ie over rated games list

Had more fun playing lords of the falling that I got for free on games with gold.

Would class it with Skyram as the boards. Ie over rated games list.

Since its release it's consistently been described as the best game of the current generation and one of the greatest of all time. It's been ecstatic reviews all round. If you feel it's overrated than fair enough, but it's not a Boards.ie issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Since its release it's consistently been described as the best game of the current generation and one of the greatest of all time. It's been ecstatic reviews all round. If you feel it's overrated than fair enough, but it's not a Boards.ie issue.

Ive never played it

Keep telling myself to

But I was told since I love the Witcher that Bloodbourne isnt as good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Ive never played it

Keep telling myself to

But I was told since I love the Witcher that Bloodbourne isnt as good

There two completely different games in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Played it for a few hours when it came out.

So over rated by people I hated it thought it was a very poor game. Would class it with Skyram as the boards. Ie over rated games list

Had more fun playing lords of the falling that I got for free on games with gold.

Ehhh skyrim is nothing like bloodborne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Pickpocket wrote: »

I would consider bioshock the king of the games of last gen then uncharted 2 also trow in halo 3 multi-player don't forgot Ass Creed 2 to. I would consider it one of the must overrated of all time. I played it on pc with all the mods to make it run and look epic it still done nothing for me.
    Ehhh skyrim is nothing like bloodborne

Don't you say?. I said lords of the falling is better then that as was more fun to play then Bloodborne. I was saying Skyram is one of the must over rated games of last gen.

If I was going to show everyone my top games of last gen there be a lot of shocks in it eg games I had fun playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 njjj

I'm still skicking with the PS3, never tried PS4 yet, i only play fifa while my 8 year old son plays minecraft and skylanders, even i think he is outgrowing the skylanders as he hasn't played it for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I love Skyrim absolutely love it. I love wandering around in the rain avoiding the main story and just getting lost in the environment and music. Personally I think it's a masterpiece. But then again I wasn't mad about Red Dead Redemption a game that is held in the highest regard by gamers. Do I think it's a terrible game, absolutely not and I'm hoping it gets a release on PS4 so I can give it another go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Thank you boards hive mind for convincing me to get Last of Us, engrossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Skyrim and Bloodborne are both amazing. There's no wiggle room on that. It's written in Noah's 12 commandments or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Bloodborne really is that good, its amazing. I've played through it about 5 times now, and the DLC is well worth it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

If I was going to show everyone my top games of last gen there be a lot of shocks in it eg games I had fun playing.

I think you over estimate the effect you and your list would have on people.

"Kobe248 wrote: »
    I was told since I love the Witcher that Bloodbourne isnt as good

If you love Pro Evo you might hate FIFA and vice versa. In fact that's exactly how most people feel about those games and have done for a long time. And it's because each game takes a different approach to the exact same subject matter.

Comparing Bloodborne to The Witcher is very odd. Admittedly I've only put a few hours into The Witcher, and I'm not completely sold on it, but my reservations about the game have nothing to do with my love of Bloodborne.

I would consider bioshock the king of the games of last gen then uncharted 2 also trow in halo 3 multi-player don't forgot Ass Creed 2 to. I would consider it one of the must overrated of all time. I played it on pc with all the mods to make it run and look epic it still done nothing for me.

I was speaking about Bloodborne, hence "current generation", but I take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Overrated' is one of those words I'd love to purge from the dictionary (see also: 'pretentious'). Of course, no 'sacred cow' should be beyond criticism - hell, I'm generally fairly dismissive of Skyrim (and Fallout 3/4) as I never think their gameplay systems or design do justice do their vast, impressive worlds. But I wouldn't call them 'overrated', as to me that's just a synonym for 'everybody else is wrong'. I've heard plenty of robust, convincing defences for games I don't like, and could probably hold my own in a debate about many games others don't like. But yeah, just be confident enough in your own opinions any given game - no real benefit to be gained from dismissing other's views as long as they're honest and convincingly argued.

Poorly justified opinions, of course, be free to go to town on :pac:

I love Skyrim absolutely love it. I love wandering around in the rain avoiding the main story and just getting lost in the environment and music. Personally I think it's a masterpiece. But then again I wasn't mad about Red Dead Redemption a game that is held in the highest regard by gamers. Do I think it's a terrible game, absolutely not and I'm hoping it gets a release on PS4 so I can give it another go.

I put a little bit of time into both Oblivion and Skyrim upon release. The enormity of the RPG experience turned me off because ultimately it wasn't what I was looking for. In fact I'm only just now getting into RPGs.

However, if I had persisted for longer I still think I would have ended up quitting because of the feel of the melee combat. It's just awful. I'm not into magic builds at all so tight, physical combat is essential. Plus I'm just not sure about first person melee combat in general. It doesn't feel or look right. Do you anticipate that the third-person element will be tightend up for the remaster? That could tempt me.

'Overrated' is one of those words I'd love to purge from the dictionary (see also: 'pretentious'). Of course, no 'sacred cow' should be beyond criticism - hell, I'm generally fairly dismissive of Skyrim (and Fallout 3/4) as I never think their gameplay systems or design do justice do their vast, impressive worlds. But I wouldn't call them 'overrated', as to me that's just a synonym for 'everybody else is wrong'. I've heard plenty of robust, convincing defences for games I don't like, and could probably hold my own in a debate about many games others don't like. But yeah, just be confident enough in your own opinions any given game - no real benefit to be gained from dismissing other's views as long as they're honest and convincingly argued.

Poorly justified opinions, of course, be free to go to town on :pac:

'Overrated' and 'pretentious' are two interesting ones alright. People really ought to explain themselves a bit better.

However there was a time when I was guilty of something equally annoying - disagreeing with someone because they simply used those words!

In both of them there is a subjective element, but I looked upon them as objective statements that I needed to rally against immediately lest those sacred works of art are permanently tarnished.

And it wasn't/isn't just me. You'll see it all the time on here. Someone calls a film pretentious and the immediate response is other people saying "it's not pretentious because...".

The correct response, as you've already touched upon, is to press that person for why he thinks it's pretentious. Otherwise the exchange is nothing more than two people highlighting the fact that they have different opinions, which isn't exactly news or particularly informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think I'll be upgrading when the PS4.5 comes out, so I'm wondering has anyone checked out any UHD/4K TVs for gaming & what would ye recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think I'll be upgrading when the PS4.5 comes out, so I'm wondering has anyone checked out any UHD/4K TVs for gaming & what would ye recommend?

Nothing yet, waiting for HDR to become a standard fetaure on 4K TVs first instead of an extra. Then waiting for the price of them to drop more as they become more mainstream.

I have my heart set on an LG OLED UHD/4K TV. They are around 4-5 grand right now so waiting for them to come down.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-oled65g6p-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

For a 4k tv, it has to be absolutely massive or you have to sit right up close to it to notice any difference between that and a normal fullHD screen. I'd be concentrating on contrast and response times before you go near resolution

duploelabs wrote: »
    For a 4k tv, it has to be absolutely massive or you have to sit right up close to it to notice any difference between that and a normal fullHD screen. I'd be concentrating on contrast and response times before you go near resolution

They said the same about 1080p screens at the time too but even on a small 32" screen the difference between 720p and 1080p is very noticeable to me anyway.

Anyway the main draw of 4k is not the resolution but HDR, that's the selling point. HDR makes a bigger difference to the image than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was going to be pick up a nice G-sync monitor for some PC gaming and upgrade to a GTX 1080 GPU. But I've done so little PC gaming since I picked up a PS4, that I can't justify the cost. I really can't see anything on the 4K side that jumps out at me and the OLED screens seem way to pricey. That said, I don't think I'm going to wait around for prices to drop and will probably buy a non-OLED TV in the coming months. Ideally a 4K TV that can could possibly cover console/PC gaming needs.

Can anyone find Asemblence on the PSN store? I have googled it and it released in the EU and US stores on 21st of June, I have read reviews of the PS4 version of the game but it's no where to be seen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Can anyone find Asemblence on the PSN store? I have googled it and it released in the EU and US stores on 21st of June, I have read reviews of the PS4 version of the game but it's no where to be seen?

The EU release was delayed by two weeks due to a PEGI issue, it should be up when the store updates next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement