Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

PSN is down for me again.

Was letting me chat in a party but would not let me log on to any game.

Tried a speedtest and is failing the psn sign in section.

Edit: Changed over to my slower isp and it works.

Any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I just got a new DualShock controller and was fairly shocked to see the cheap bastards didnt even include a USB to charge it!

I know USB's are a dime a dozen but still... On the box it says 'use the USB that came with your PS4'. That's long gone ffs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got shadow of mordor goty for 20 on the store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Neo announcement is live now guys. Go to the events tab on your PS4, streaming on Twitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

"There's nothing else like Call of Duty..."

...and I hope there never is.

Meh Ps4 Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

€399 for the Pro console, better than I was expecting.

Still won't be buying one though.

400 quid and it doesn't even play tapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The PS4 being made compatible with HDR sets via a patch next week is probably the most interesting bit of new to come out of the conference.

• Advertisement

The Pro literally looks like 2 PS4s glued together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

For a reveal that was pretty underwhelming. Btw after seeing that Horizon zero dawn clip all I can think of is rope burn.

For a reveal that was pretty underwhelming. Btw after seeing that Horizon zero dawn clip all I can think of is rope burn.

She's taking down giant mech-dinosaurs and I'm there thinking "you'd need a pair of gloves to do that."

Pickpocket wrote: »
    She's taking down giant mech-dinosaurs and I'm there thinking "you'd need a pair of gloves to do that."

Mech Dinosaurs are so 80's ;)

dino-riders-banner-fb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xenji wrote: »
    The PS4 being made compatible with HDR sets via a patch next week is probably the most interesting bit of new to come out of the conference.

Still need a 4K HDR TV to actually see it though.

Still need a 4K HDR TV to actually see it though.

I have one, so interested to see how it looks as it works really well with Netflix watching Marco Polo.

Downsampling is a decent feature that most games will have for 1080p on the pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Nobody designed the pro at all just a square box with the sandwich design and its more powerful, wouldn't be bothered getting it to get the full benefits you need the 4k tv like many have said in previous posts.

I laugh at xbox fans comparing the scorpio to the pro.

The pro is competing with the one s, not the scorpio

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Big mistake by Sony not to include a 4K blu ray drive which the S does have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sadly I would say the pro is Sony Scorpio. Next year that is going to knock the Ps4 pro out of the water.

I was thinking about updating one of my consoles up to the new models but being honest I think I am just going to he wasting money

Are you suggesting that Sony will have the PS4 vanilla, the PS4 Pro and some other PS4 all on the go at one stage?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Sony will have the PS4 vanilla, the PS4 Pro and some other PS4 all on the go at one stage?

Yes just like MS will. The vanilla is gone from now. Slim is the new base model, then the Pro and then Elite maybe.

MS will have the One, One S and Scorpio this time next year all together.

Yes just like MS will. The vanilla is gone from now. Slim is the new base model, then the Pro and then Elite maybe.

MS will have the One, One S and Scorpio this time next year all together.

I (wrongly) thought that the One was replaced by the One S, and that alongside the Scorpio would be the base and elite models.

And then for Sony it would be the Slim and Pro fitting into those categories.

I'm just wondering what the marketing strategy is gonna be from Sony? They're releasing the Pro for 'hardcore' gamers, which, if you're correct, will be outclassed within 12-18 months. I just can't see it. Unless their next machine is the PS5 but that would mean a desperately short life-cycle for the Pro.

I'm not saying you're wrong. It just doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Meh.

PS4 Pro is a shoite name too.

The thing to plug is VR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

anyone else think the ps4 pro is meh? like what are the advantages of having one? they said games will run at 30fps so as to not segregate either ps4 or ps4 pro players... so why would we buy it if it wont throw out solid 1080 60fps???

anyone else think the ps4 pro is meh? like what are the advantages of having one? they said games will run at 30fps so as to not segregate either ps4 or ps4 pro players... so why would we buy it if it wont throw out solid 1080 60fps???

They never said that about 30fps across consoles, what they said was the games have to have the same gameplay features but the graphics and frame rates on the Pro can be as high as they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,226 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This just isn't true.

One S is basically just a smaller version of the One - with a slight power boost to allow HDR gaming. The One S and the PS4 Slim are the comparison.

The One S is a very slight upgrade on the One. The Pro isn't as big an upgrade on the PS4 as I would like, but it a far bigger upgrade than the One S is to the One. Yes, Scorpio does look like it will blow the Pro out of the water specs wise - but that just means MS will have beaten Sony on that playing field, not that the two consoles shouldn't be compared at all. The PS4 Pro is competing with the Scorpio, not the One S. It will lose, but that is the competition.

Also, given the family line restrictions both consoles are going to be faced with, i'm not entirely sure the difference in the specs of the two upgraded consoles are going to matter all that much. The games played on both the Pro and the Scorpio will be the same base games you could play on the One (or One S) or the PS4 - neither of the upgraded consoles will see games that take full advantage of the capabilities the new architecture will allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Also, given the family line restrictions both consoles are going to be faced with, i'm not entirely sure the difference in the specs of the two upgraded consoles are going to matter all that much. The games played on both the Pro and the Scorpio will be the same base games you could play on the One (or One S) or the PS4 - neither of the upgraded consoles will see games that take full advantage of the capabilities the new architecture will allow.

This is why I'm not sure the difference in power between the Scorpio and Pro will make much difference. Both MS and Sony have stated that games will be the same across all their SKUs, with no exclusives to the new consoles (besides VR games for Scorpio). As you say, devs won't be able to really take full advantage of their power, knowing they also have to make it work with the earlier SKUs.

This is similar to the initial launch of both consoles, except instead of a lot of games being required to work on PS3/360, imagine all of them had to. The capabilities of the PS4/XBO would never have been tested.

• Advertisement

This just isn't true.

One S is basically just a smaller version of the One - with a slight power boost to allow HDR gaming. The One S and the PS4 Slim are the comparison.

The One S is a very slight upgrade on the One. The Pro isn't as big an upgrade on the PS4 as I would like, but it a far bigger upgrade than the One S is to the One. Yes, Scorpio does look like it will blow the Pro out of the water specs wise - but that just means MS will have beaten Sony on that playing field, not that the two consoles shouldn't be compared at all. The PS4 Pro is competing with the Scorpio, not the One S. It will lose, but that is the competition.

It is though.

The Pro and One S are just doing 4K upscaled gaming with HDR. The Pro has twice the GPU power because of PSVR, it's the main reason the Pro exists.

The Scorpio is designed for 4K native gaming and so will Sony's "Trinity" model.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement