Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,226 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It is though.

The Pro and One S are just doing 4K upscaled gaming with HDR. The Pro has twice the GPU power because of PSVR, it's the main reason the Pro exists.

The Scorpio is designed for 4K native gaming and so will Sony's "Trinity" model.
    I thought Trinity was the codename for PS5 - not an iterative version of the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I can't see Sony coming out with another version of the PS4 to compete with Scorpio. At this stage, they're going to be pushing ahead with PS5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I thought Trinity was the codename for PS5 - not an iterative version of the PS4.

Trinity is/will be the Scorpio counterpart. What it ends up being called is up to Sony.

Scorpio could end up being called the One Elite or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,226 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trinity is/will be the Scorpio counterpart. What it ends up being called is up to Sony.

Scorpio could end up being called the One Elite or something else.

This all feels like its just your opinion, which i disagree with, rather than fact.

I see it as:

Xbox One - PS4.
    One S - PS Slim.
    Scorpio - PS4 Pro.

The PS4 was significantly better than the One, and the Scorpio will be significantly better than the Pro, but they are still the comparison imo.

I'm not arguing the PS4 Pro will be as good as the Scorpio, which looks to have a clear architectural advantage - my argument is that saying Sony are positioning the Pro vs the Xbox One S is wrong (thats the PS4 Slim)

This all feels like its just your opinion, which i disagree with, rather than fact.

I see it as:

Xbox One - PS4.
    One S - PS Slim.
    Scorpio - PS4 Pro.

The PS4 is gone, the Slim has now replaced that SKU.

Come November it's just the Slim or the Pro.

So Slim= One
    Pro= One S on the console market and price point brackets.

This Christmas for example:
    Have around €300 to spend , you get either a One or PS4 Slim.
    Have around €400 to spend, you get either a One S or PS4 Pro.

That's how they stack up against each other, it's not about hardware specs purely, it's market value and share you have to consider.

From this time next year (November more likely) MS will have the One, One S and Scorpio. The One is not being phased out like the base PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I see it as:

Xbox One - PS4.
    One S - PS Slim.
    Scorpio - PS4 Pro.

The PS4 was significantly better than the One, and the Scorpio will be significantly better than the Pro, but they are still the comparison imo.

I'm not arguing the PS4 Pro will be as good as the Scorpio, which looks to have a clear architectural advantage - my argument is that saying Sony are positioning the Pro vs the Xbox One S is wrong (thats the PS4 Slim)

I'd agree with this especially since the PS4 Slim will have HDR too.
    Sony is taking a big gamble that gamers won't have the patience to wait the extra year for Scorpio and want the most powerful console on the market this November 2016.

I'm buying it at launch as I traded in my PS4 last week ahead of this announcment and I'll probably trade in my OneS in the weeks leading up to Scorpio next year and so on.

CEX offer great trade in prices on consoles so you are always gonna have the latest console heavily subsidised.

Thats my plan of attack anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The PS4 is gone, the Slim has now replaced that SKU.

Come November it's just the Slim or the Pro.

So Slim= One
    Pro= One S on the console market and price point brackets.

This Christmas for example:
    Have around €300 to spend , you get either a One or PS4 Slim.
    Have around €400 to spend, you get either a One S or PS4 Pro.

That's how they stack up against each other, it's not about hardware specs purely, it's market value and share you have to consider.

From this time next year (November more likely) MS will have the One, One S and Scorpio. The One is not being phased out like the base PS4.

Have Microsoft not said they will stop selling the One and the S will fully replace it once the 500GB and 1TB One S are launched?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Have Microsoft not said they will stop selling the One and the S will fully replace it once the 500GB and 1TB One S are launched?

Not that I have seen. Just going from their E3 show they said the One/S and Scorpio will all co exist along side each other.

It does make sense to drop the One once the other S models hit the market next week.

When that happens you will have a very interesting situation in 14 months time with a 4.2 TFLOP machine in direct competition with a 6 TFLOP power house.
    There will be massive cross plat difference in performance then and Sony will be on a major back foot unless they have something in the pipeline.

Not that I have seen. Just going from their E3 show they said the One/S and Scorpio will all co exist along side each other.

It does make sense to drop the One once the other S models hit the market next week.

When that happens you will have a very interesting situation in 14 months time with a 4.2 TFLOP machine in direct competition with a 6 TFLOP power house.
    There will be massive cross plat difference in performance then and Sony will be on a major back foot unless they have something in the pipeline.

I wonder are we getting away from Sony and Microsoft launching the Next Gen a few months between each other going forward.

Maybe we could be seeing a shift to Microsoft in 2016 and Sony in late 2017 or early 2018. Effectively seeing 12 to 18 months between the manufacturer major releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This just isn't true.

One S is basically just a smaller version of the One - with a slight power boost to allow HDR gaming. The One S and the PS4 Slim are the comparison.

The One S is a very slight upgrade on the One. The Pro isn't as big an upgrade on the PS4 as I would like, but it a far bigger upgrade than the One S is to the One. Yes, Scorpio does look like it will blow the Pro out of the water specs wise - but that just means MS will have beaten Sony on that playing field, not that the two consoles shouldn't be compared at all. The PS4 Pro is competing with the Scorpio, not the One S. It will lose, but that is the competition.

Only if you ignore price, there's a only a $50 difference with the One S.

The PS4 already has over double the market size, in 14 months with the PRO being priced only $50 above the One S will probably increase that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

How much does the Scorpio cost it might be better but if the price is 5-600 can't see it getting a lot of people getting it.

JamboMac wrote: »
    How much does the Scorpio cost it might be better but if the price is 5-600 can't see it getting a lot of people getting it.

Lots of people bought the PS3 when it was massively expensive. Taking account of inflation the Scorpio won't be any more expensive than the PS3 was at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They could show the difference as a selling point & mention 60 fps. Sony failed to do that & give across the message of how big of an upgrade this is cause it looked kinda underwhelming when demoed & listening to a boring PowerPoint left me feeling cold. Yeah they can release something in 2018 but incremental upgrades every 2 years is confusing.

Don't know. A lot of people were saying it'd be fairly expensive given the specs of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see MS taking a loss on them in order to keep it in the €400-500 range. Given the XB1S will have 4k video streaming and bluray, having the Scorpio in the €600 range with just 4k gaming (but no exclusive games) might not make it worth it to a lot of people.

Here is good little read in the article of what we are all discussing and know already.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-20179-Microsoft--Xbox-Scorpio-Has--Obvious-Power-Advantage--Over-PS4-Pro-.html

Basically confirms that the Pro is placed against the One S in the market and the Scorpio is on another level that Sony may or may not step up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Penn wrote: »
    Don't know. A lot of people were saying it'd be fairly expensive given the specs of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see MS taking a loss on them in order to keep it in the €400-500 range. Given the XB1S will have 4k video streaming and bluray, having the Scorpio in the €600 range with just 4k gaming (but no exclusive games) might not make it worth it to a lot of people.

Would they not then need to drop the one s and take losses on that aswel, I think Microsoft may have been more focused on beating Sony then any real practicality of what they where doing and I think the pro is in the right price range plus good specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Here is good little read in the article of what we are all discussing and know already.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-20179-Microsoft--Xbox-Scorpio-Has--Obvious-Power-Advantage--Over-PS4-Pro-.html

Basically confirms that the Pro is placed against the One S in the market and the Scorpio is on another level that Sony may or may not step up to.

Yup, this is the case alright.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the Xbox One S(lim) is not competing directly with the PS4 Slim :)

Would they not then need to drop the one s and take losses on that aswel, I think Microsoft may have been more focused on beating Sony then any real practicality of what they where doing and I think the pro is in the right price range plus good specs.

The OneS is actually well priced considering it upscales to 4k, has 4k streaming video and 4k bluray. Plus it has a 2TB model.

I'd say both the OneS and the Pro are well priced for what you get and neither company would be making a loss on them. But if the Scorpio is going to be competitive with the specs they're claiming, chances are they'll be taking a loos on it. If anything, the profit they make from the XB1S's by not dropping the price could be what lessens the losses they may have to bear from the Scorpio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The OneS is actually well priced considering it upscales to 4k, has 4k streaming video and 4k bluray.

I believe the One S is also the cheapest 4k bluray player currently on the market too. So they also get the people who would be interested in buying a 4k bluray player who weren't interested in a console originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Are there any good 4k TV's on the market at the moment that aren't overpriced?

It seems like a complete waste of money getting into 4k now, and that leaving it for a year or so will result in better TV's available at better prices and more 4k content to use with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The OneS is actually well priced considering it upscales to 4k, has 4k streaming video and 4k bluray. Plus it has a 2TB model.

The 2TB one is the launch only, MS have said they won't be continuing that.

Might get another 2TB in the future. The 2TB was the same price at launch as the Pro; $399.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Benzino wrote: »

It seems like a complete waste of money getting into 4k now, and that leaving it for a year or so will result in better TV's available at better prices and more 4k content to use with them.

Im going to hold off until early 2018 to go 4K, at least that way all the main HDR specs and differences will be finalized, I only got a 3D 1080 400hz set about a year ago for my bedroom....

You are looking at paying around €1000-1100 now of an LG or Samsung 4K HDR TV with an image rating around 2000, don't go for lower than that.

There are cheaper €800 HDR TVs around but the image rating is far lower on them. I'd avoid them at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Varik wrote: »

Might get another 2TB in the future. The 2TB was the same price at launch as the Pro; $399.

Yeah they are discontinuing the white one but they mentioned limited edition One S's, such as the Gears 4 one coming soon will feature the 2tb hard drive. Any future limited edition themed console will have a 2tb hard drive too.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Im going to hold off until early 2018 to go 4K, at least that way all the main HDR specs and differences will be finalized, I only got a 3D 1080 400hz set about a year ago for my bedroom....

Think I will do the same, I've an 8 year old Bravia which is in perfect knick. With an added Chromecast it does everything I need, seems a waste to upgrade at this time.

In saying that, I'm alway tempted to buy new tech....

Varik wrote: »

Oh. I thought they were just having two different models of it.

Article from Digital Foundry about the Pro. Worth a read.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Think I will do the same, I've an 8 year old Bravia which is in perfect knick. With an added Chromecast it does everything I need, seems a waste to upgrade at this time.

In saying that, I'm alway tempted to buy new tech....

The only thing in our house thats 4K capable at the moment is the PC, and by November the Pro I would say, I am going to wait until Xbox release the Scorpio and hopefully the manufacturers will have decided what they are doing console wise...

8bit, 10bit, HDR Dolby HDR, its all a bit wild west for now, and until all the devs and manufacturers settle on a proper standard i'll wait and get a TV for sitting room that does all of it...

And then 8K will come out and ill probably give up at that stage... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So is this what we're going to be looking forward to now....? Gone are ten year life-cycles replaced with gaming PCs in a box with a €300 price point necessitating cheap-hardware which is outdated within three months of release?

I just wish they'd charge a proper amount for these machines and give us something really worth the money,

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just wish they'd charge a proper amount for these machines and give us something really worth the money,

Just build a PC to the exact specs you want then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement