Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

My launch is quite, no reason for me to change. Might change to the Pro just to change as the price isn't bad .

Also those saying it'll get a better price for the Pro trade in, trading in for a pro is less than €50 more than trading in for a Slim for that gamestop offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Xenji wrote: »
    According to a lot of developers Sony really caught them off guard when they announced HDR for the current PS4, but it looks like NBA 2K17 will be the first to have HDR.

Cool.

Does netflix have some content that supports HDR?

Im gonna hold off for now on a new TV and see if prices come down a bit on a good HDR ready panel. At the moment they are quite expensive for my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Does anyone know if that console repair crowd in Bray are any good? My laser in bollixed and I'm reluctant to change it myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GerB40 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if that console repair crowd in Bray are any good? My laser in bollixed and I'm reluctant to change it myself..

They brought my day one ps3 back from YLOD and done it within a couple of hours. told me it would probably only last 12 months max, and that was 4-5 years ago and it's still going strong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

What time does the firmware update go live?

• Advertisement

They brought my day one ps3 back from YLOD and done it within a couple of hours. told me it would probably only last 12 months max, and that was 4-5 years ago and it's still going strong :pac:

That's my mind made up so, cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They still do PS3 repairs?

Might give them a shot at my launch PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Varik wrote: »

you'd have to ask them, I did mention it was 4-5 years ago since I used them

Varik wrote: »

They're ringing me back today, I'll ask about the PS3 coz mine's knackered too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, so if so I apologize. Please feel free to direct me to a different thread if more appropriate.

I've never been much of a gamer. I only got a PS4 last week. Prior to that, the only games I'd buy each year on the PS3 were Madden, PES, GTA and COD. And even at that, I stopped liking COD when they started turning to stuff like jetpacks and exoskeletons.

The only games I've tried on PS4 so far are Overwatch, which was alright but I wasnt overly gone on it. I also tried the Battlefield 1 Beta which I loved. I downloaded Everybody's Gone To The Rapture which was visually stunning, and had a great story but i didn't like the lack of interaction. All I was doing was walking from A to B for more dialogue, though I do plan to purchase Dear Esther.

I don't know where to start in terms of picking up older games I've never played but hear great things about. Bioshock, Unchartered, Fallout, Witcher and Bloodborne all come highly recommended. What else am I missing? How are the likes of Destiny and Deus Ex? I also used to love Resident Evil and Silent Hill years ago - are there current gen versions of these and do they come anywhere close to the originals? Any indie games recommended?

I'm dying to get stuck in but I already find myself just playing only Madden and the PES demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Last of Us
    Battlefield 4 is cheap and you'd still get a load of MP servers active.

Sorry just in case I wasn't clear go buy The Last of Us.
    Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Sorry just in case I wasn't clear go buy The Last of Us.
    Thank you

I just finished it last weekend.

Have to admit, I was finding it a bit of a slog at the beginning during the first 2 hours or so as the gameplay isn't great IMO... but after I dropped the difficulty from Survivor to Normal and just paid attention to the world and the story - I loved it.

Finished Left Behind straight after and it's a great DLC, pretty simple but a sweet little add on to the story.

Storywise, it's just about perfect. I found Survivor tough I have to say. It's as stressful as hell with the lack of resources but I'm glad I played it through Survivor at least once. It plays much different than the easier difficulties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The Last of Us
    Battlefield 4 is cheap and you'd still get a load of MP servers active.

Battlefield hardline and 4 are bundled for about €15 I think.

Shadows of Modor GOTY is also on the cheap.

Rocket league rocket league rocket league rocket league.

Soma (if you've a good robust pair of pants)

Did I mention rocket league?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

The Dualshock refresh is being released the same day as the slim right?

Anyone think it is worth upgrading to the new Dualshock? Other than the light placement the other changes seem pretty minor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was hoping to hear the battery life has improved but sadly doesn't seem to have changed much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Anyone think it is worth upgrading? Other than the light placement the other changes seem pretty minor?

Going from a PS4 to a Slim is not an upgrade in any way. Same console in a smaller package.

A PS4/Slim to a Pro is an upgrade. The Slim is only a design refresh of the base model, nothing more.

Going from a PS4 to a Slim is not an upgrade in any way. Same console in a smaller package.

A PS4/Slim to a Pro is an upgrade. The Slim is only a design refresh of the base model, nothing more.

Sorry, I was talking specifically about the Dualshock4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Pickpocket wrote:
    What time does the firmware update go live?

Firmware 4.0 live now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone think it is worth upgrading? Other than the light placement the other changes seem pretty minor?

Upgrading from PS4 to Slim or do you just mean upgrading the Dualshock to the new model?

The difference in both cases is extremely minor. Only difference between the controllers aside from the lightbar is that the new controller can connect via USB to a PC, so you can use it more easily for PC gaming too.

I'll be avoiding the new Dualshock like the plague. The ridiculous light-bar is now represented on the touch-pad as well. Perhaps they'll eventually just go the whole way and have the entire thing glowing in your hands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

New update makes everything sleek and crisp looking , I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Redo91

I hope the new controllers no longer suffer from the issue of the analogue sticks wearing away.

Penn wrote: »
    Upgrading from PS4 to Slim or do you just mean upgrading the Dualshock to the new model?

Just the Dualshock - I'm going to go back and edit that post because I was obviously very confusing :)
    Only mentioned the slim with regards to release dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just the Dualshock - I'm going to go back and edit that post because I was obviously very confusing :)
    Only mentioned the slim with regards to release dates.

As I said, doesn't really matter either way. The Slim is just a remodeled smaller PS4. Same with the controllers for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I'll be avoiding the new Dualshock like the plague. The ridiculous light-bar is now represented on the touch-pad as well. Perhaps they'll eventually just go the whole way and have the entire thing glowing in your hands.

I think it's just moved to the touch pad not as well as the original position, and is much smaller.

That said, I don't see the point in it at all. Especially when it's incorporated into games like GTA where it flashes red and blue when the cops are after you. Sure who stares at their controller? I only found out that happened when I read it in the GTA thread here. I don't think I'd ever have noticed myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

New update makes everything sleek and crisp looking , I like it.

Deeper colours make it look better too.

Suppose there's no way to test any HDR stuff yet? Tried Netflix but stuff that's usually HDR on that is just HD.

I think it's just moved to the touch pad not as well as the original position, and is much smaller.

That said, I don't see the point in it at all. Especially when it's incorporated into games like GTA where it flashes red and blue when the cops are after you. Sure who stares at their controller? I only found out that happened when I read it in the GTA thread here. I don't think I'd ever have noticed myself.

My mistake, although I can't decide if that's better or worse. I don't want to see it at all so maybe that's even more of a reason to avoid it.

It think it was a huge mistake to begin with. It makes it look like a toy and the flashing red and blue etc. make it look quite childish. I realise that the ergonomics of a controller are what matters but the blasted things just irritates the crap out of me.

• Advertisement

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, so if so I apologize. Please feel free to direct me to a different thread if more appropriate.

I've never been much of a gamer. I only got a PS4 last week. Prior to that, the only games I'd buy each year on the PS3 were Madden, PES, GTA and COD. And even at that, I stopped liking COD when they started turning to stuff like jetpacks and exoskeletons.

The only games I've tried on PS4 so far are Overwatch, which was alright but I wasnt overly gone on it. I also tried the Battlefield 1 Beta which I loved. I downloaded Everybody's Gone To The Rapture which was visually stunning, and had a great story but i didn't like the lack of interaction. All I was doing was walking from A to B for more dialogue, though I do plan to purchase Dear Esther.

I don't know where to start in terms of picking up older games I've never played but hear great things about. Bioshock, Unchartered, Fallout, Witcher and Bloodborne all come highly recommended. What else am I missing? How are the likes of Destiny and Deus Ex? I also used to love Resident Evil and Silent Hill years ago - are there current gen versions of these and do they come anywhere close to the originals? Any indie games recommended?

I'm dying to get stuck in but I already find myself just playing only Madden and the PES demo.

I was in the same position as you at one point. I spent most of the last generation playing sports games and other pick up and play titles.

The first game I played on the PS4 (about 18 months ago) was The Last of Us Remastered and that pretty much set the standard for me. Then this year I completed Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Those three titles really hit the sweet spot for me but consequently so many games look dull and uninspired in comparison.

So my advice would be to just take the trial and error approach. Check out reviews and recommendations but don't be afraid to take a risk. I've purchased so many games and traded them in within a day or two. Yes, I was losing a few quid each time but I eventually got to a point where I knew what I liked. Or more accurately, I know what I didn't like.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, The Division and Destiny are just three games that I tried and then traded in. I now know that anything involving 'loot' and constantly chasing down new items doesn't interest me. The same goes for 'open worlds' that are full of needless busy work. In that respect the Assassin's Creed series, and to a lesser extent the Far Cry games (kinda worth it for the guns!), are off the cards for me. Then there's the games that have mechanics I just cannot get used to. I appreciate that Fallout 4 is an RPG first and foremost, but I just can't come to terms with the poor gunplay, despite being an improvement over its predecessor. And on and on and on. I sound like a grump but I've simply had to admit to myself that so much of modern game design is not for me.

I'm moving more and more toward indie games. I can't exactly pin-point why but more often than not their lofty ideas excite and interest me more than any aspect of those box-office game I've just mentioned.

You say you're going to play Dear Esther despite not getting along too well with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Well that indicates to me that there's something about those 'alternative' game experiences that interests you. So embrace that. They're comparatively cheap games and they're often not very long. Check out the likes of Journey, Abzu, Limbo, Inside, The Swapper, Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac, Outlast , Soma, The Witness, The Walking Dead, Broken Age, Life is Strange and Thomas Was Alone.

The only thing those game have in common is that they're all just a little bit different, which may be what you're looking for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement