Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Just picked it up on the girlfriend's credit card. It's downloading as we speak. Her... I'll deal with her tomorrow.

You sir, are aptly named.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Got a slim today. It's very very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

You upgrade from launch model? Mind if I asked if you traded in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Bioshock The Collection worth picking up?... Is there online in Bioshock 2 or did they remove the online?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bioshock The Collection worth picking up?... Is there online in Bioshock 2 or did they remove the online?..

No online for any of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Was wondering the same, played a bit of it before on PS3 and enjoyed it, just didnt have the time then to commit to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

How's the noise when playing? My original one is like a jet engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

superg wrote: »

Mine was the same, like a hair dryer. But ever since I got the CUH-1200 model it's a lot quieter, at least playing digital games, physical games make some noise starting up.

superg wrote: »

Absolutely whisper quiet. Even the last of us, which usually makes it go like a jet engine, practically no sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Absolutely whisper quiet. Even the last of us, which usually makes it go like a jet engine, practically no sound.

Excellent news. Hope the Pro is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Traded up for the slim model, didn't realise the optical port was taken out if this model! :(

Sound Misk. Was starting to think my poor px5's would have to be retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

madcabbage wrote: »

Sell the slim and get a 1200 model PS4 . I can't see why anyone buying a PS4 now would not buy a 1200 over a slim as the 1200 has a higher spec and is very quite . The slim is definitely at the bottom rung of the ladder in the hierarchy of PS4 now .

Your gonna have to cough up another €45 to use your headset . That's messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

madcabbage wrote: »

Check your TV might have optical passthrough.

Sell the slim and get a 1200 model PS4 . I can't see why anyone buying a PS4 now would not buy a 1200 over a slim as the 1200 has a higher spec and is very quite.

Only changed up so I'd have a new warranty. Old console was nearly 2 & half yrs old, controller shagged aswell. Not arsed about high spec consoles as I have a gaming PC for that and that I only play Overwatch at the moment. Fecking game didn't come out of the console since May up till yesterday.
    Varik wrote: »
    Check your TV might have optical passthrough.

Ain't got a TV, using a gaming monitor. Doesn't have that port in the back of it. Will have to buy an adapter it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anyone play tomb raider the definitive collection. Think I may pick it up in the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anyone play tomb raider the definitive collection. Think I may pick it up in the sale.

Great game! Enjoyed it more than any of the Uncharted's I've played (1-3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Is it worth spending six quid on Tombraider on PS4 if I've got it already for PS3 from PS Plus? Is it a decent upgrade?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is it worth spending six quid on Tombraider on PS4 if I've got it already for PS3 from PS Plus? Is it a decent upgrade?

Very much so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If anyone is on NBA 2K17 and looking to play online (My Park, Pro-Am, messing around) give me an add - sheehy83. Playing with randomers is so bad.

I made a Pro-Am team for Boards/Irish/friendlies. If you fancy playing (don't worry bout skill, just a bit of craic), go to pro-am from career menu and make yourself a free agent and i can add you.

Just making a post here in case any Boards players who might not be posting in the nba 2k17 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is Playstation Now officially available in Ireland?

Can't find anything on Sony's website other than the pricing for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Is Playstation Now officially available in Ireland?

Can find anything on Sony's website other than the pricing for the UK.

Not that I'm aware. I'm sure they'd be preaching from the rooftops if they could garner more paying customers. It's a shame, I've genuinely thought about subscribing a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Apologies for the really stupid question but I just can't figure this out! My 8 year old son is talking about asking for a PS for Christmas. Argos seem to have a good bundle at the minute for €300 including a lego star wars game. But before I buy it I can't figure out if we will need the internet to use the console. I understand of course we'll be relying on disc games and he won't be able to play online with friends but as he's so young that's not a problem for the time being.
    We're rural with no landline internet available and can't see this changing anytime soon. We only have a mobile hotspot with a 15gb per month download limit. Speed is 1-2mb download, 0.5mb upload in case that's relevant.
    I haven't posted here before so hope I'm in the right place. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

No you can use the PS4 offline. You'd only need online and a PSN subscription for online gaming but there's plenty of games you can play offline - Lego ones among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

Thanks gimli - I've read about patches and updates. Do I need to worry about them at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

forumuser wrote: »
    Thanks gimli - I've read about patches and updates. Do I need to worry about them at all?

Not 100% sure. I wouldn't have thought so but I have an online connection so the PS4 is up to date.
    You can't play games online if you don't have the most recent versions but again this only applies to online not offline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Hi.

The PS4 will still connect to the internet and update the software when required so you can still use the online features like the store and free game demo's etc . You can still play certain Sony titles online without PS+ as well .

Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I would suggest setting up the PS4's connection with your internet anyway for the sake of handiness in case you ever needed to use it on the PS4. There'll be can option to 'Connect to the internet' (or something to that effect) in the Network settings on the PS4 with a checkbox beside it, uncheck it if you want it disconnected, and check it if you do. :)
    Some patches and updates do actually benefit some of the games in certain regards. Some can be bug fixes or gameplay patches that help the performance and overall enjoyment of the game, while others might even provide additional content.

A lot of the time these aren't necessary at all, and most games can be played through without a bother, and it shouldn't spoil the experience especially if you're little fella is still very young. Some games might actually be fairly buggy without an update, so in this regard you might need it to update those particular games. What I would recommend you do in these situations is google whether or not the game on the disk is stable without an update as that sort of news travels fast online these days, and then let the PS4 apply the update if needed.

Some games also provide in-game live updates, particularly sports games. So if he wants to play PES or FIFA connectivity to the internet will improve the experience a small bit, but then again, they're not a requirement.

The major issue with downloading patches and applying live updates in your situation is that a lot of these downloads are pretty large, and will likely eat up a massive chunk of your 15GB allowance, so be sure to regulate the downloads wisely... Given the speeds you're getting too, some downloads will take ages; varying from hours to days even!
    As somebody from rural Cavan, I feel your pain when it comes to internet limitations... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Like Nailz in the coffin, eh Cavan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement