Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The PS4 has sold twice the amount of consoles worldwide as the Xbox . Last time I looked it was 43.000.000 to 21.000.000 . With the pro on the way , the same will happen again .

The Scorpio is too late to the party all ready . It will not save MS from the doldrums . The damage was done by MS treating their customers like children before the launch of the one .

Can i get a lend of your crystal ball? Could do with the lotto numbers for the weekend:D

I know there not where they want to be but i do think its a bit of harsh assesment of MS currently and the Scorpio,which we really dont know enough about to jump to conclusions on yet. PS has a big lead obviously but in no way is 21mil a small number of people,thats a large audience that devs are not gonna forget about.

Also in fairness to them,that E3 was a long time ago and they seem to have moved well away from their initial strategy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I was saying that the one is doing good at the moment, I own both consoles and both are brilliant. I hope MS give sony a run for their money as it would be good for gaming in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I wonder how many people that purchased PSVR are waiting for the pro to actually play it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I wonder how many people that purchased PSVR are waiting for the pro to actually play it...

The pro probably won't make that much difference to the PSVR.

As regards the Scorpio vs. PS Pro, the Scorpio won't make a bit of difference to One sales. I own both a One and a ps4 and I'll be getting rid of the One soon because I realized I haven't turned it on in weeks and before that I was only using it to watch MLB.TV.

MS have the least compelling line up of exclusives I've ever seen. Seriously, who still cares about Halo and Gears? It isn't 2008. Forza is the only good franchise they have any more and that's on PC now so I'll get it for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I know 1 person that still has a One , and his brother is getting a PS4 for xmas . I know quite a few that have sold One's to get a PS4 in the last year . Mostly because of the lack of games on the One and nothing much happening in the future that interests them .

The possibility is that the Scorpio might go with the upcoming Vega 10 gpu . The price that MS are quoting for the Scorpio if it is using the Vega chip seems very cheap . Even if MS do that , they will still be too late . The Pro will have a years headstart in games , VR , and stronger customer base again .

VR . I know that MS will come out with VR capability ,but the Scorpio will be using the Vive , Oculas . I think that these VR platforms are also in big trouble if Sony allow PSVR - pc compatibility . The price all in of the Sony system and the games catalogue is the win/win that Sony has over it's competitors .

Sony has broken into the US market now and they are there to stay . The US market was the bastion of MS before the One . MS consoles are going the way of the Dreamcast .

The only exclusive game that I ever hear anyone talk about on the One that is actually worth playing is Forza . I wonder how long before Forza comes to PS to take on Grand Tourismo , I mean , MS sent Halo over in the form of Destiny ...who'd of ever thought that that would happen 5 years ago ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I don't know. At some point I can see me getting a Scorpio for some of the exclusives and to play some of my old 360 digital games again.

As to the Pro - keen to get one, was all set, but circumstances change and I might just wait a bit to see how well it does. Similarly with the VR headset, this current iteration seems good but I'd like to see improvements around the cabling (would be a nightmare where I live) as well as putting in dual displays like I had years ago with a headset I got back around 10 years ago.

Sony have played a blinder as usual here, seeing the uptake in Japan where they were moving away from consoles might see a good reversal there but so much hinges on some really good games right now. Last thing any of us need is a repeat of the Move or Camera reality fiasco. Both good concepts but shabbily implemented. Only other concern I have is Sony now focusing on mobile gaming, really hope they're not diverting key resources from VR or Pro for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I know 1 person that still has a One , and his brother is getting a PS4 for xmas . I know quite a few that have sold One's to get a PS4 in the last year . Mostly because of the lack of games on the One and nothing much happening in the future that interests them .

The possibility is that the Scorpio might go with the upcoming Vega 10 gpu . The price that MS are quoting for the Scorpio if it is using the Vega chip seems very cheap . Even if MS do that , they will still be too late . The Pro will have a years headstart in games , VR , and stronger customer base again .

VR . I know that MS will come out with VR capability ,but the Scorpio will be using the Vive , Oculas . I think that these VR platforms are also in big trouble if Sony allow PSVR - pc compatibility . The price all in of the Sony system and the games catalogue is the win/win that Sony has over it's competitors .

Sony has broken into the US market now and they are there to stay . The US market was the bastion of MS before the One . MS consoles are going the way of the Dreamcast .

The only exclusive game that I ever hear anyone talk about on the One that is actually worth playing is Forza . I wonder how long before Forza comes to PS to take on Grand Tourismo , I mean , MS sent Halo over in the form of Destiny ...who'd of ever thought that that would happen 5 years ago ;)

Microsoft haven't announced any pricing for the Scorpio yet. People are assuming it will be €500+.

Also the PSPro will only upscale games to 4K, the same as the One S. The Scorpio will have native 4K gaming (although I'd prefer higher frame rates at 1080).

People who want the more powerful machine will get the Scorpio when it's released

I have a One, then got the One S and bought a PS4 last month. I'll be getting a launch model of the Scorpio.

Also to be honest I think your talking crap about Microsoft sending Halo over to PS4 in the form of Destiny, either that or you've never played either game or didn't know that Bungie parted ways with Microsoft to work on new projects (I'm glad they did I fecking love Destiny:))

You've also mentioned exclusives a few times now. Some exclusives you didn't mention that I've played recently and love are are Sunset Overdrive, and ReCore. At the end of the day though there are millions and millions of people who absolutely love the likes of Gears of War, Forza and Halo and will always buy them, they just might not be to your liking.

Either way I'm happy to have both consoles and have had very Sony and Microsoft machine in my house since the originals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

4K native is a pipedream fro the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. You need a GTX 1080 for Battlefield 1 at 60fps and it's gonna be years until we see that power in a console.
    I'm getting a PS4 Pro and I've no intention of getting a 4k tv for many years.
    All I want is supersampling of the 1080 image and smoother framerates.

4K native is a pipedream fro the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. You need a GTX 1080 for Battlefield 1 at 60fps and it's gonna be years until we see that power in a console.
    I'm getting a PS4 Pro and I've no intention of getting a 4k tv for many years.
    All I want is supersampling of the 1080 image and smoother framerates.

Sony never said the Pro will be 4K native have they?

With Scorpio I'd say we will be looking at 30fps at 4K, I'd prefer 60 fps at 1080 and I have a 4K TV.

emmetkenny wrote: »

With Scorpio I'd say we will be looking at 30fps at 4K, I'd prefer 60 fps at 1080 and I have a 4K TV.

Sony haven't but the marketing for the Pro is so muddled when they mention 4K and the checkerboarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Redo91

maximoose wrote: »
    The console is 100% happening yeah, Fall 2017 as far as I know. What actually ends up being inside it and the performance boost it gets we'll have to wait and see

edit: Console/Games in production now

I'm just after realising I was mixing up the Xbox Scorpio with the rumoured Playstation Neo for some reason. Am I right in saying the PS Pro is the Neo and there won't be another upgrade in the current gen. I haven't a notion of getting the Scorpio as I've always preferred PlayStation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

I had a feeling that was what happened :pac:

Yeah, Neo was the codename for the now released Pro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well it's finally officially announced

14724545_10154805902813128_3214634928303125658_n.jpg?oh=ffaa36398adb54a73886cef81d779cf0&oe=5862324E
    Gonna look amazing on the scorpio with that monster gpu

cannot wait :)

Redo91 wrote: »
    I'm just after realising I was mixing up the Xbox Scorpio with the rumoured Playstation Neo for some reason. Am I right in saying the PS Pro is the Neo and there won't be another upgrade in the current gen. I haven't a notion of getting the Scorpio as I've always preferred PlayStation.

I'd say the Current Model of new generations is finished now.

I'd imagine that manufactures will want to make incremental updated every two or so years now rather than 6years plus.

At the minute I think Sony will have PS5 in 2018 or early 2019. That's good for the customer though as I can buy a Scorpio in 2017 and a PS5 in 2018/2019 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

4K native is a pipedream fro the PS4 Pro

The following games are confirmed to run natively at 4K on PS4 Pro:

- The Last Of Us Remastered (Native 4K@30FPS with the best shadows)
    - Smite (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - The Elder Scroll Online (Native 4K@30FPS)
    - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Native 4K@30FPS)
    - Mantis Burn Racing (Native 4K@60FPS / Native 4K@30FPS for 4 player split-screen)
    - Wheels of Aurelia (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - forma.8 (Native 4K@60FPS + 8xMSAA )
    - Rez Infinite (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - Hustle Kings (Native 4K)
    - Thumper (Native 4K)
    - NBA 2K17 (Native 4K@60FPS + HDR)
    - Bound (Native 4K@60FPS + MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 in normal gameplay / in VR mode: rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR + new effects like volumetric lights + sharper shadows)
    - Viking Squad (Native 4K@60FPS)

Link

Otacon wrote: »
    The following games are confirmed to run natively at 4K on PS4 Pro:

- The Last Of Us Remastered (Native 4K@30FPS with the best shadows)
    - Smite (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - The Elder Scroll Online (Native 4K@30FPS)
    - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Native 4K@30FPS)
    - Mantis Burn Racing (Native 4K@60FPS / Native 4K@30FPS for 4 player split-screen)
    - Wheels of Aurelia (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - forma.8 (Native 4K@60FPS + 8xMSAA )
    - Rez Infinite (Native 4K@60FPS)
    - Hustle Kings (Native 4K)
    - Thumper (Native 4K)
    - Bound (Native 4K@60FPS + MSAA x2 upscaled from MSAAx8 in normal gameplay / in VR mode: rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR + new effects like volumetric lights + sharper shadows)
    - Viking Squad (Native 4K@60FPS)

Link

A good few of those games are older games so would they not technically be upscaled seen as they wouldn't have been designed to be native 4K?

Otacon, the games considered AAA titles there are all PS3 remasters and a lot of those are only 30FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A good few of those games are older games so would they not technically be upscaled seen as they wouldn't have been designed to be native 4K?

The devs have announced that they will be patched to support the Pro and that they will run natively at 4K, not upscaled/uprendered/up-anything.

For example:

Otacon, the games considered AAA titles there are all PS3 remasters and a lot of those are only 30FPS.

Correct, though I never said it would be AAA games either. I was just responding to say that 4K native is more than possible on PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Otacon wrote: »

Good lord, imagine how that would look! Achieving that, for a game that is as nice graphically as 2K17 is, on a €400 console would be pretty incredible.

I have said it on here before and I will say it again ...

The Pro is for the VR . Sony had to clear out the Vanilla PS4 ,so they released the VR headset first to get the hype going . When the Pro is released , it will become apparent why they have done this. The Pro is running an RX480 gpu while the Vanilla is on a 7850 ( which is about 50% slower than 480 ) . The Pro will give much more frame rates , more vibrant colours and better visuals compared to the vanilla . The 4k thing is a marketing ploy to try to get as many of the few ppl out there that actually have a 4k tv to jump on board as well .

If the Pro had 4k in mind , would it not have a 4k Blu-ray player as standard ?

This will all become apparent when the Pro is released .

My Brother is looking to buy a Vanilla for his son for xmas . I have told him to sit it out longer because the vanilla will be flogged off , very cheaply after the Pro's release .

• Advertisement

The Pro is for the VR . Sony had to clear out the Vanilla PS4 ,so they released the VR headset first to get the hype going . When the Pro is released , it will become apparent why they have done this. The Pro is running an RX480 gpu while the Vanilla is on a 7850 ( which is about 50% slower than 480 ) . The Pro will give much more frame rates , more vibrant colours and better visuals compared to the vanilla . The 4k thing is a marketing ploy to try to get as many of the few ppl out there that actually have a 4k tv to jump on board as well .

My Brother is looking to buy a Vanilla for his son for xmas . I have told him to sit it out longer because the vanilla will be flogged off , very cheaply after the Pro's release .

Then why release a slim?

Then why release a slim?

To clear out the 7850 gpu .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The resolution of the screens in the headset is one of the big stumbling blocks for it. All the additional horsepower in the world won't matter if it's being held back by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

To clear out the 7850 gpu .

Isn't the GPU in the slim the same as the vanilla PS4?

Benzino wrote: »
    Isn't the GPU in the slim the same as the vanilla PS4?

I think that's his point, they are clearing out the GPU's but just in a different shell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Then why release a slim?

As an entry model. A cheaper version for those who have no interest in VR or 4K.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The resolution of the screens in the headset is one of the big stumbling blocks for it. All the additional horsepower in the world won't matter if it's being held back by that.

The pro will make it all look smoother and brighter though . The headset can be run at 120hz . You will need the pro to get that performance from it .

This is only the first gen vr from Sony . They have the world biting now as it seems to have great overall media coverage . The gen 2 from Sony will be the ps5 in another 2-3 years if it all beds in for them. MS and Xbox need to catch up fast , but I think it's too late now for them . When Ps4 and one launched , one of the main reasons that ppl bought the Xbox was because they where locked into a subscription service . As the 360 subscription has lapsed over the last 2 years ,more and more xbox users switched to Ps . Now that the move has been made to Ps , Ms will find it hard to get that user base back .

I have Ps+ till 2022 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

When Ps4 and one launched , one of the main reasons that ppl bought the Xbox was because they where locked into a subscription service

:confused:

I really doubt having some months left on a €30 Xbox Live sub was the main reason for anyone :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    :confused:

I really doubt having some months left on a €30 Xbox Live sub was the main reason for anyone :pac:

Especially when the Live service is vastly more stable than PSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This is only the first gen vr from Sony . They have the world biting now as it seems to have great overall media coverage . The gen 2 from Sony will be the ps5 in another 2-3 years if it all beds in for them.
    You are getting way ahead of yourself. We don't even know if there will be a PS5 or even a second PSVR iteration.

VR still has to prove itself against traditional gaming. I have owned a Htc Vive since April and thought VR was amazing for a few weeks and then I went back to regular games and the headset stayed in the closet for the next few months.
    MS and Xbox need to catch up fast , but I think it's too late now for them . When Ps4 and one launched , one of the main reasons that ppl bought the Xbox was because they where locked into a subscription service .

As the 360 subscription has lapsed over the last 2 years ,more and more xbox users switched to Ps . Now that the move has been made to Ps , Ms will find it hard to get that user base back .

o4SnNoC.jpg?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement