Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

superg wrote: »
    Does it? Thought it had to be an Xbox controller for PC games. I read last week steam are adding official support for it soon. I use a DS3 and toolkit to get it to be recognised as an xbox controller.

Since I installed the remote play software I can use DS4 on PC games with no issues. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

gimli2112 wrote: »
    is the psn down, can't connect but PSN says all services are up and running?

Same issue here. Just trying now, and can't connect to PSN, but all other services are fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,097 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Plascebo wrote: »
    Same issue here. Just trying now, and can't connect to PSN, but all other services are fine?

Same here, every time I try to log in it says I'm signed out. Had no problem logging into Canadian account though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I got 21 sign in verification codes from Sony in a 30 minute window while my phone was charging. It's been said before but I would advise anyone who hasn't yet done so to activate 2 step verification on their account. I've changed my password again, hopefully that's the end of it. Should I report this to Sony or is there no point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I got 21 sign in verification codes from Sony in a 30 minute window while my phone was charging. It's been said before but I would advise anyone who hasn't yet done so to activate 2 step verification on their account. I've changed my password again, hopefully that's the end of it. Should I report this to Sony or is there no point?

How do I activate that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

How do I activate that?

Account Management> Account Information> Security> 2-Step Verification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Report it. Your account is secure and tell them that but ask them to investigate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Glad it wasn't just me! My phone was spammed with sign-in verification code texts earlier today, assume someone was trying to hack in or something. Turned on the PS4 and removed Paypal so there's no payment methods linked to my account. I'll go change my password again too I think. Fingers crossed that's the end of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just updated my ps4 and cant sign in, anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just updated my ps4 and cant sign in, anyone else have this issue?

yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone know where I can get a free trial code? To do me until I get PS Plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

My account has been hacked, got the email at 00.04 saying my email has been changed. I can log into the playstation in my sitting room I think it's using the facial recognition but I can't change anything else. The card I stupidly left on file is empty thank god so nothing has been purchased.
    Have to wait till 10:30 to call support.
    Does anyone know if the hacker actually has my password and email?
    What else do they have access to? Can they see the card details and my address?
    How the hell can this have happened to so many people in the one forum? If it's at such a large scale that at least three people here have been hacked in one week they need to lock down the network till they can provide proper security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads I'm new to PlayStation but Jesus with the amount of you guys saying you've been hacked it's really worrying.

On people's advice here I set up the two step authentication but Sony seem so blaise about this and making the victim seem the one in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

iamtony wrote: »
    My account has been hacked, got the email at 00.04 saying my email has been changed. I can log into the playstation in my sitting room I think it's using the facial recognition but I can't change anything else. The card I stupidly left on file is empty thank god so nothing has been purchased.
    Have to wait till 10:30 to call support.
    Does anyone know if the hacker actually has my password and email?
    What else do they have access to? Can they see the card details and my address?
    How the hell can this have happened to so many people in the one forum? If it's at such a large scale that at least three people here have been hacked in one week they need to lock down the network till they can provide proper security.

No one is hacking sony, it's people using similar passwords between sites and phishing.

Few sites you can use to check if any accounts or emails have been compromised.

Varik wrote: »
    No one is hacking sony, it's people using similar passwords between sites and phishing.

No one said Sony was hacked. Nothing else seems to be effected for now. I definitely haven't been phished that I know. I use the same password for a lot of sites but all reputable ones so I don't know how they could get the password from their. It's a pretty solid password aswell nothing obvious using capitals and a mix of numbers and letters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »

This exactly, my XBL account was "hacked" after Boards was hacked a few years ago. They got into my XBL account because I used the same email and password. I was lucky I was able to log in and change my password before they could lock me out of my account.

Lesson learned so I have about 8 passwords now but it's a pain to remember them all. All may passwords are just a collection of random letters and numbers so no one could ever guess them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lads I'm new to PlayStation but Jesus with the amount of you guys saying you've been hacked it's really worrying.

Set up two-step authentication and use a password you don't use on other sites. The chances of being hacked at that stage are incredibly slim. I've had my PSN account since the PS3 launch and have had no issues with it. Even with the big hack a few years ago, just changed password after that (which they made you do anyway because of the hack) and that was it.

If you have the 2-step set up and a strong unique password, that's all you need.

You want them to provide "better security", but yet you didn't have 2-step verification set up. :confused:

F1ngers wrote: »
    You want them to provide "better security", but yet you didn't have 2-step verification set up. :confused:

Yes, it shouldn't be left to chance if a person is going to implement a better level of security or not if they know the standard level isn't good enough. Everyone should be signed out of there accounts until you set up 2 step verification if that's what's needed.

• Advertisement

I don't actually know if I had this set up maybe I did?

This exactly, my XBL account was "hacked" after Boards was hacked a few years ago. They got into my XBL account because I used the same email and password. I was lucky I was able to log in and change my password before they could lock me out of my account.

Lesson learned so I have about 8 passwords now but it's a pain to remember them all. All may passwords are just a collection of random letters and numbers so no one could ever guess them.
    I use three passwords one for apple stuff, one for other important stuff that has my credit card details etc which is strong and an easy to remember one for forums etc like this one that pose no risk.

Yes, it shouldn't be left to chance if a person is going to implement a better level of security or not if they know the standard level isn't good enough. Everyone should be signed out of there accounts until you set up 2 step verification if that's what's needed.

I agree, gmail signed me out and I had to verify with the text.

There is also personal responsibility to account security, the option was there for you, was even mentioned in this thread.
    I don't actually know if I had this set up maybe I did?

You would have gotten a text on your phone to verify the signing in on your account.
    Your first message was "email changed".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wish they'd move away from the text base 2step, the MS one and the newer google 2step are great; you get a code but can also just approve the request instead on the app which would be slightly less secure but is handier.

Only good thing about the text base is you can lose it from a wipe, or change of phone. Some authentication apps do let you back up, but a most of the dedicated apps don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,150 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The standard level is good enough provided you have a strong unique password you don't use it anywhere else (at least, not anywhere where you use the same email address too). Again, I haven't had any trouble for 9 years now and only set up the 2-step authentication two weeks ago.

Don't mean to be harsh, but there is an element of personal responsibility there too. A recent update brought in 2-step authentication. It's not Sony's responsibility to force people to use it.

Also, you'd know if you set up the 2-step measure, it links your phone to your account and texts a code to your phone that you also have to enter if you're signing in on a different PS4.

I agree, gmail signed me out and I had to verify with the text.

There is also personal responsibility to account security, the option was there for you, was even mentioned in this thread.

You would have gotten a text on your phone to verify the signing in on your account.
    Your first message was "email changed".
    Ok so I obviously didn't have the 2 Step thing.
    As for personal responsibility how is one to know what's good enough and what's not with out being told. I did read about the 2 step thing here but didn't think about it too much as I use a separate card for this kind of stuff and i only transfer funds as needed, so this saved me this time but lesson learned. Let hope it's easy enough to solve this problem when I call in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I use three passwords one for apple stuff, one for other important stuff that has my credit card details etc which is strong and an easy to remember one for forums etc like this one that pose no risk.

For stuff like forums a common password is probably fine as you won't lose anything important if hacked, but for anything important, you should have a unique password.

With shared passwords, it only takes one site to be hacked for it to compromise all your accounts. And when a site gets hacked, you might not know about it until a long time afterwards (it took Yahoo 2 years to tell people).

Fyi, apple also have 2-step verification.
    Benzino wrote: »
    For stuff like forums a common password is probably fine as you won't lose anything important if hacked, but for anything important, you should have a unique password.

The issue I have with "simple" p/ws is the info in those accounts when hacked, for example, how many here have their dob in their profile - dob is a starting block to recover "hard" p/ws.

Still getting playstation support is currently closed, it was supposed to open at 10.30am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still getting playstation support is currently closed, it was supposed to open at 10.30am

Still on US time? We put our clocks back before them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement