Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Samp21 wrote: »
    WELL I FOR ONE AM SICK OF THESE SONY HACKS, TIME TO BUT AN XBOX I THINK

Great value on Xbox one right now

You won't regret it.

SWEATY YETI 83

that's my gamertag see you on the superior format if you move.

I'm actually nervous about my payment details on psn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Samp21

Great value on Xbox one right now

You won't regret it.

SWEATY YETI 83

that's my gamertag see you on the superior format if you move.

I'm actually nervous about my payment details on psn

YA KNOW WHAT, I'M GONNA STOP IN Argos on the way home and pick ONE. I'd advise the rest of ye do the same. Dark if add later on mate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enough with the flame war nonsense, please.

Never been hacked on PSN, have had my details taken on the Xbox store and purchases made. Think that a lot of it is down to people reusing the same credentials across multiple sites, I have a different password for each site so maybe that helps. Sony have a really bad rep but anytime I have had to contact them it's been a breeze, granted it was to return a faulty PS3 but they sorted it in no time.

I don't think that Sony was hacked, asked someone who would know given that they work there and from what they said the issue is people using the same password across multiple sites. I've seen similar things cause account compromises on Origin, Steam, PSN, Xbox, Spotify, Amazon, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Never been hacked on PSN, have had my details taken on the Xbox store and purchases made. Think that a lot of it is down to people reusing the same credentials across multiple sites, I have a different password for each site so maybe that helps. Sony have a really bad rep but anytime I have had to contact them it's been a breeze, granted it was to return a faulty PS3 but they sorted it in no time.

I don't think that Sony was hacked, asked someone who would know given that they work there and from what they said the issue is people using the same password across multiple sites. I've seen similar things cause account compromises on Origin, Steam, PSN, Xbox, Spotify, Amazon, etc.
    That's been echoed throughout the other thread but there's a handful of posters who just can't be bothered applying the same level of reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You say that as if the PSN hack of 2011 never happened which was one of the biggest hacking disasters in years. Their security was so subpar they didn't even have passwords and credit card details encrypted as well as websites I was making at the time, and I'm no expert. Real amateur hour stuff.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You say that as if the PSN hack of 2011 never happened which was one of the biggest hacking disasters in years. Their security was so subpar they didn't even have passwords and credit card details encrypted as well as websites I was making at the time, and I'm no expert. Real amateur hour stuff.

No one is arguing that there were not issues in the past but they've come a long way since then. Just because they were hacked 5 years back does not mean that they have been hacked again and today's incidents seem to be a case of people using the same info across multiple accounts and services. A lot of my work day involves dealing with account compromises and attacks and nothing about the incidents today look to be a malicious hack. When you consider that peoples information is freely available to purchase online it's no wonder they are finding their accounts compromised, anyone who uses PSN and does not have TFA enabled really needs to turn it on asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It well and truly was, but I think in this instance all factors point to a breach in services external to Sony's. But, if it ends up being the case that it was another lapse in Sony's security infrastructure, I will say that I was incorrect and in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised given what's came before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I was one of the hacked and I put my hand up and admit it was my own stupidity that caused it not Sony. LinkedIn was hacked years ago and my details were stolen and I had the same password as I used on the Psn.
    I do think they should do something about it like make the 2 step mandatory or something of that nature, it's happening to too many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I've never been hacked and I use different passwords for different sites + I buy prepay cards .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As an aside from the "have they, haven't they been hacked", if anyone has access to the Steep Beta don't use the code in the email that was issued as it will give an error code saying its already been used. Just search for 'Steep Beta' in your library and download it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've never been hacked and I use different passwords for different sites + I buy prepay cards .

Yep since the last hack, I've switched on 2fa, recycle my password every 6 months (do this for every site that takes cards) and buy PSN cards in Argos/Tesco.

I feel doing anything less than that I'm inviting trouble upon myself, Sony or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No one is arguing that there were not issues in the past but they've come a long way since then. Just because they were hacked 5 years back does not mean that they have been hacked again and today's incidents seem to be a case of people using the same info across multiple accounts and services. A lot of my work day involves dealing with account compromises and attacks and nothing about the incidents today look to be a malicious hack. When you consider that peoples information is freely available to purchase online it's no wonder they are finding their accounts compromised, anyone who uses PSN and does not have TFA enabled really needs to turn it on asap.

They got such a spanking from the authorities that I'm sure they improved it but it shouldn't have taken a massive hack to get them to do something about it. I really don't trust Sony especially after that and the root kit shenanigan's they had before that. Took them long enough to introduce tow step verification but I suppose better late than never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Glico Man wrote: »
    As an aside from the "have they, haven't they been hacked", if anyone has access to the Steep Beta don't use the code in the email that was issued as it will give an error code saying its already been used. Just search for 'Steep Beta' in your library and download it.

Entered the code on the website and went to library so I assume I missed it as everything work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Varik wrote: »
    Entered the code on the website and went to library so I assume I missed it as everything work fine.

I entered the code on the PS4 store, said it had been used so chanced the web browser, still didn't work.

The moment I log a ticket with Ubi to find out whats going on a pop-up message appears at the top of the screen with "we're aware of codes not working or being redeemed. Here's how to play..." :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Okay, so just off the phone. Online ID changed back to me. Password reset and 2 step activated.

I asked him what email was assigned to it and he said he didn't have that info in front of him but due to a glitch a few weeks ago a lot of people's ID's were getting changed.
    Either way, once I got through (about 30-35 mins on hold), was quickly rectified

• Enabled 2 step on mine just there. Passwords reset.
    Only had my paypal tied to the account. I assume it shows up on your payment options within PSN if there is anything else listed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Can't access my PSN account. Tried to do the forgot password option, but the link in the email asks me to enter my DOB for verification. I enter it, and is says invalid information. Tried ringing customer service an they say the hold time is 45 mins.
    What the hell is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Can't access my PSN account. Tried to do the forgot password option, but the link in the email asks me to enter my DOB for verification. I enter it, and is says invalid information. Tried ringing customer service an they say the hold time is 45 mins.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057669008

Many PSN accounts have been hacked however according to some people in the hacked thread its just PS vs Xbox BS.

Ignoring that for the moment you need to contact Playstation support. A few people have contacted them by phone today so maybe one of them will be kind enough to send you the number to call.

Once you have access set up 2 step verification.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/account-security/2-step-verification/

• Rainman16 wrote: »

Widespread reports of a vast amount of compromised accounts. Sony better come out and say something official soon. Looking at there twitter it's flat out.
    I'd say you are not the only one. Sorry dude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Many PSN accounts have been hacked however according to some people in the hacked thread its just PS vs Xbox BS.

Ignoring that for the moment you need to contact Playstation support. A few people have contacted them by phone today so maybe one of them will be kind enough to send you the number to call.

Once you have access set up 2 step verification.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/account-security/2-step-verification/

Nobody denied any accounts been hacked it's the source of the hack that's not known here remember!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

anyone else getting account suspended messages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Here I was thinking Donald Trump was the dumbest person that's come to my attention over the last few days, then i come across failsafe and Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

tbh alot of us just dont trust your posts with anything playstation related as your an obvious troll you derail every thread you come into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads when I try to retrieve my password it says my email isn't valid. Is that typically a sign that you've been hacked?

jcd5971 wrote: »
    tbh alot of us just dont trust your posts with anything playstation related as your an obvious troll you derail every thread you come into

Wow.

So, I get a whatsapp message this morning from a friend saying his PSN account had been hacked and fraudulent purchases had been made for a little over €100. He was waiting for the support lines to open to give Sony a call and my first thought was I better let the gaming boards people know to change their passwords.

Here is my post. I also outline a helpful link to help people know how to get access to their account again.
    Failsafe wrote:
    I'd advise people to change your PSN passwords. Be safe, even if you don't have a payment profile saved.

If you have been hacked here is a useful guide for what to do. It was written during a previous PSN hack so Its very informative.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...nt-gets-hacked

Currently the hack is effecting UK and Ireland PSN customers but its spreading.

*My advice , never leave payment details on PSN. Just add them to make a purchase and then Remove it once your purchase Is complete.

I think some people on this forum need to take a good hard look at themselves. That was my first post in that thread while many other people made their first post on that forum to deny that there was a hack and that it wasn't Sony's fault. Not helping anyone out just there to make sure they mount a strong defence which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Lads when I try to retrieve my password it says my email isn't valid. Is that typically a sign that you've been hacked?

Do you only have one e-mail could it be a different one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Wow.

So, I get a whatsapp message this morning from a friend saying his PSN account had been hacked and fraudulent purchases had been made for a little over €100. He was waiting for the support lines to open to give Sony a call and my first thought was I better let the gaming boards people know to change their passwords.

Here is my post. I also outline a helpful link to help people know how to get access to their account again.

I think some people on this forum need to take a good hard look at themselves. That was my first post in that thread while many other people made their first post on that forum to deny that there was a hack and that it wasn't Sony's fault. Not helping anyone out just there to make sure they mount a strong defence which is ridiculous.

You do the above in every Playstation related thread . You come along with your obvious bait methods ,throw in a few seemingly helpful comments to derail suspicion and then when you are called out you play the " What , Me ...never " card.

I vote to ban you from the Playstation section of the forum because you are a constant thorn .

Ohh... and ps , Here you are again playing your tricks on another forum relating to PSVR , 4 posts down the page so readers can get context , (and look who liked his posts as well lads )
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057666258&page=2

You do the above in every Playstation related thread . You come along with your obvious bait methods ,throw in a few seemingly helpful comments to derail suspicion and then when you are called out you play the " What , Me ...never " card.

I vote to ban you from the Playstation section of the forum because you are a constant thorn .

Ohh... and ps , Here you are again playing your tricks on another forum relating to PSVR , 4 posts down the page so readers can get context ,
    So my post that you are mentioning is the following...
    Wow, down to €368 already.

How about we take a look at your recent posts my friend and lets see who is trolling here.

Have fun in the shop buying all those batteries for your xbox with its crappy wireless controller . That's so 2005 and quaint . You never know , you might actually get a game or two more to play before MS just throw in the towel and admit they just got it plain wrong this time around . In the meantime , all us lads with the most powerful consoles ever made will enjoy the vast catalogue of present and upcoming titles from 1st and 3rd party developers , heck , I might go and have a blast on my VR headset right now and relish the greatness and power of the one console to rule them all ... or will I leave that till tomorrow when I have a Pro as well :D
    Microsoft are desperate to offload Xbox onto anyone at this stage to try and breath some sort of life into the sales figures .

Why don't MS try to make some cheap , affordable housing for the third world out the One's and just reduce the price of the surface instead of trying to burden it's customers with an expensive laptop and a large paper weight .

Don't throw stones in a glass house.

I also believe calling on a vote is back seat modding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ohh... and ps , Here you are again playing your tricks on another forum relating to PSVR , 4 posts down the page so readers can get context , (and look who liked his posts as well lads )

yep 100% agree with this sentiment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement