Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Got stuck there myself for awhile, do you not get ammo if you die a few times?

Do they? I didn't notice, but I'll give it another go once I have more time. I might actually be finished by the time the second game comes out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Sony exclusives rarely come out in the holiday season these days (TLG the obvious exception) so spring 2018 could be right.
    I'd expect it to be a quicker turnaround than UC4 as that required the development of the new game engine.

TLOU P2 is running on a new engine. Having watched a couple of videos from games journalists they seem to think 2019 for release.

Colin Moriarty was saying Naughty Dog are back to one core team (as opposed to 2 when the first TLOU game was made) so they'll get stuck into this once the DLC for Uncharted is done.

Hoping for 2018 but not likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

A big nostalgia-fest on the way for this old man!

This game was the reason I bought the original Playstation about a 100 years ago!

WipeOut Omega - 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm stuck about 13 hours in - I'm in the
    hardware store fight at the start of the Pittsburgh chapter and I'm basically out of ammo because I panicked at the end of Bill's Town and wasted it all.
    I would love to play more, but I can't progress the game because I can't survive that fight, and I can't justify restarting when I have so many other games to finish. Doesn't help that I'm crap at shooters.

there's plenty of planks, bricks and bottles around, pick up, throw at head, punchy punchy

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Sony have been knocking it out of the park this gen.

They seem to just think "what will literally make peoples dreams come true?" and then do it.

I used to dream about backwards compatibility.

And (better) mod support.

And changing my PSN ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Has anyone here bought the 500gb slim PS4 with Uncharted 4 from Argos? I'm just wondering is it a physical disc or digital code that the game comes as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Has anyone here bought the 500gb slim PS4 with Uncharted 4 from Argos? I'm just wondering is it a physical disc or digital code that the game comes as.

I think they kind of have to give you the disk otherwise they are presuming you have internet access, which granted most people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,898 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Boards Game of the Year Awards Nominations are now open. PS4 GOTY Retail & Digital categorys open for nominations if anyone here mostly sticks to the PS forum and might not see it in the Games Forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057678871

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone know if theres a way to set up a PS Now account? I can do it on my us or Canadian accounts but then it looks for a US or Canadian credit card billing address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,148 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Holy sh*t I forgot how hard Marvel V Capcom 3 is. Once you get to the second last round in Arcade mode, f*ckers block every single attack. Still though, love playing it again. Hectic as f*ck.

Some sites reporting that PS4 sales have hit the 50 million mark. Incredibly impressive. No doubt sales bolstered by PSVR and PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Some sites reporting that PS4 sales have hit the 50 million mark. Incredibly impressive. No doubt sales bolstered by PSVR and PS4 Pro.

How does that compare to PS3? Faster or slower to the 50m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

anyone playing the last guardian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »

Actually the PSVR sales haven't been good. It's the PS4 & PS4 Slim that have got them up to 50 mill. Very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

anyone playing the last guardian?

Is it out ? I taught it was out the 13th or something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Is it out ? I taught it was out the 13th or something ?
    oh sorry i seen it on twitch. i presumed it was generally released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

oh sorry i seen it on twitch. i presumed it was generally released.

Must be out in America, or maybe it is out I don't know Smyths site confuses me because it always has wrong release dates...

I see it didn't get reviews like the other 2 anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.....I remember the mixed Ico reviews, especially in print, when it was first released. There was some outstanding opinions, but proper popular opinion seemed to evolve from its increasing scarcity, and then subsequent budget re-release, following through to Colossus' release. It is still somewhat of an acquired taste to the mainstream.

FWIW, a few hours into The Last Guardian, and it's outstanding. The control and camera is firmly stuck in the past though, and while not completely acceptable, there's very few games that would get away with. This is one of them. I think fans of the others would know what to expect to some degree, as even SOTC wasn't blessed with a perfect camera struggling to maintain double digit framerate.
    It doesn't quite have that isolated wonder that Ico had (possibly due to more interaction with Trico than Yorda, plus the sparse narrative voiceover of the main character), but still conveys it's atmosphere very much through the environment.....then there's the evolving relationship between the player and the beast, which is very much something that Colossus brought to the mix.

Textures are range from poor-good though, a real sign of it's legacy development, but the environments are stunning, as is Trico's animation in general. The Pro takes a walloping at 4K though in a number of scenes.....nothing unplayable though, and haven't bothered with the 1080p trick up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Would I be completely lost as a new comer to the last guardian? I barely even know ico/sotc. If not where's the best place to pick them up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Would I be completely lost as a new comer to the last guardian? I barely even know ico/sotc. If not where's the best place to pick them up?

PS3: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-classics-hd/cid=EP9000-NPEA00279_00-ICOSHADOWBUND001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

F1ngers wrote: »

I'd almost buy a ps3 just to play SOTC again, been chasing the dragon ever since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

The Last Guardian isn't a sequel to either of those games so you won't be lost at all.

It's true that you might get more from it if you were a fan of those games but there's no need to go back and play them.

In some respects they haven't aged well (the controls are extremely stubborn) so you might even turn yourself off The Last Guardian by having to play through them. My advice would be to jump straight into TLG and perhaps then you can go back to the earlier games.

For the record, I wholeheartedly recommend the earlier games to everyone, especially the HD versions which make them much more approachable. But playing older, often frustrating, games because you have/need to is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I wouldn't say lost as such, though there is a similar theme that runs through the titles, but it very much depends on what you expect gameplay-wise.
    Slower-paced than most, even other action-adventures based around solving puzzles, with a bit of back and forth. It's all about progression though - you enter an area, and usually immediately have an idea of where you've to go - the puzzle is in how you accomplish that within the structure of the game.
    In Ico, it was normally how do you do that with Yorda in tow and her limited mobility and not leave her at the mercy of her attackers. In SOTC, the challenge was ascertaining how to find and scale monstrosities to reach certain areas etc.
    There's obviously more to it that that, but it's all about progression.
    Last Guardian is broadly similar in that regard, with you having to not only progress yourself, but also bring along this massive beast with you. Alternately there are areas that only it can pass with you in tow, and you have to learn to control the beast - which is not always as easy as it seems given it has a mind of it's own.

Of course, all this involves performing a lot of pick this up/carry that there, but there's such a wonderful atmosphere to the game, and relationship between the characters, that you just get sucked into the game despite the simple and dated mechanics. It's already dropped a couple of surprises that weren't really evident from the coverage of the game up to release, so there's always something that impresses you about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got a €20 refund from PSN earlier for the hack a few weeks ago.

Now to waste it again in PSN :o

Thanks folks, will pick it up when I'm back from the US next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks folks, will pick it up when I'm back from the US next week.

Probably pick it up over there cheap enough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

gimmick wrote: »
    Got a €20 refund from PSN earlier for the hack a few weeks ago.

Now to waste it again in PSN :o
    Maybe Sony are learning that they can't take a hardline on these hacks anymore where people aren't refunded the money they put into PSN because their hacker used the money.

The PlayStation ecosystem is the best out there in most ways but for their network and the customer support on issues relating to the network. Sort that out and all will be rosy in the land of PlayStation, I wouldn't count on that happening too soon though.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How does that compare to PS3? Faster or slower to the 50m?

Much faster. PS4 - 3 years to 50million (Nov 2013 to Nov 2016)

PS3, most conservative figure I could find was this article from Eurogamer (April 2011):
    The worldwide sell-in total for PlayStation 3 has teetered over 50 million units, Sony has announced.

Remember that these are sell-in numbers, which means the same thing as shipped: i.e. consoles sold to shops rather than shoppers.

The last we heard, on 1st April, worldwide PS3 sales - actual to-consumer sales - were alleged to be 43.4 million.

Whether the 50million mark for the PS3 was sell-in numbers or consumer buys, it still didn't reach that until April 2011 at the earliest, so at least 4.5 years from the earliest launch (Nov 2006 USA/Japan, March 2007 EU).

Not surprising really. The PS3 launch and even the first few years of the console was a disaster. Took them a while to find their feet, and the PS4 launch was significantly better, coupled with the disaster of the Xbox One launch (particularly pre-launch) which really gave PS4 a boost early on.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Probably pick it up over there cheap enough....

only store close to where I'm staying is a GameStop and they don't deserve the money :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement