Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Much faster. PS4 - 3 years to 50million (Nov 2013 to Nov 2016)

PS3, most conservative figure I could find was this article from Eurogamer (April 2011):

Whether the 50million mark for the PS3 was sell-in numbers or consumer buys, it still didn't reach that until April 2011 at the earliest, so at least 4.5 years from the earliest launch (Nov 2006 USA/Japan, March 2007 EU).

Not surprising really. The PS3 launch and even the first few years of the console was a disaster. Took them a while to find their feet, and the PS4 launch was significantly better, coupled with the disaster of the Xbox One launch (particularly pre-launch) which really gave PS4 a boost early on.

Don't forget the last generation were launched during a global recession so demand would have been lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,148 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Don't forget the last generation were launched during a global recession so demand would have been lower.

Agreed. After posting the above I checked what the Xbox 360 sales where and it was around the same time (mid-2011) that they hit 50 million too (I'm guessing that's due to them not having the the name recognition Playstation had early on despite their earlier release).

Yeah, recession definitely slowed down sales of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

emmetkenny wrote: »

Nope they launched before the recession. The problem was the €600 PS3 price tag. Xbox 360 2005 launch PS3 2006 launch, recession 2008.

This generation, PS4 and Xbox One are recession consoles hence the mid life hardware updates now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,148 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nope they launched before the recession. The problem was the €600 PS3 price tag. Xbox 360 2005 launch PS3 2006 launch, recession 2008.

This generation, PS4 and Xbox One are recession consoles hence the mid life hardware updates now.

Not so much that they launched during the recession, but by the time proper libraries of games were coming out for both, the recession almost definitely slowed down sales for both even as games libraries improved and people who might have waited would have been making the jump from PS2/XB to new generation.

Though the price and marketing of the PS3 at launch and even for a few years after was definitely a factor for their sales too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,383 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Elite: Dangerous coming Q2 2017 with PS$ Pro support:

With PSVR and the fact PS4 already has HOTAS support this could be great. Have 300+ hours clocked up on the XB1 version and it's a great (but grindy) game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Apologies if this is a daft question, I only got a PS4 this week, I'm more used to Xbox One. I was looking to buy 12 months PS Plus from Cdkeys. It's not region free no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a daft question, I only got a PS4 this week, I'm more used to Xbox One. I was looking to buy 12 months PS Plus from Cdkeys. It's not region free no?

No, you'll have to buy Irish credit if your account is Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Just popping in to say titanfall 2 is the most enjoyment I've got from a game in a very long time. Definitely since the ps4 came out. Everyone needs to pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

hefferboi wrote: »
    Just popping in to say titanfall 2 is the most enjoyment I've got from a game in a very long time. Definitely since the ps4 came out. Everyone needs to pick it up

Yeah, great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Respawn are doing a poor job marketing the game.

The amount of things I have come across in game that I didn't know where there. Mechanics and variety.

They need to start selling it more. They put much greater effort into promoting Titanfall 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Respawn are doing a poor job marketing the game.

The amount of things I have come across in game that I didn't know where there. Mechanics and variety.

They need to start selling it more. They put much greater effort into promoting Titanfall 1.

I think it was more Microsoft were pushing Titanfall 1, it was a big deal at the time. I agree it needs more of a push though, I only know a few people who are buzzing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

hefferboi wrote: »

Is it similar to titanfall 1? Couldn't get into that game.

Got destiny recently and much prefer that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Anybody play the new PS4 game Steep ?

Looks interesting

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a798594/steep-review/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpt4MwC6bJQ

Could be fun .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anyone picked up last guardian. Just an hour in and I can't stop sighing, despite the terrible camera stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anybody play the new PS4 game Steep ?

Looks interesting

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a798594/steep-review/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jpt4MwC6bJQ

Could be fun .

Played the Beta a couple of weeks ago, it's an okay game but it's not SSX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

duploelabs wrote: »
    Anyone picked up last guardian. Just an hour in and I can't stop sighing, despite the terrible camera stuff

Four or five hours in now and would comfortably call it one of the best games I have ever played. A work of true artistry and beauty, one of the few games I've played where every element is truly woven together. Worth the wait and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

duploelabs wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101903248&postcount=6298

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101903452&postcount=6303

It's wonderful stuff, that deserves to be picked up by everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Uncharted 4 €25 euro on store, is that a good deal for digital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Uncharted 4 €25 euro on store, is that a good deal for digital?

Very. Its a great game. I'd love to be in the position to play it again for the first time.

When buying psn cards can any European card be bought or are they country specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

When buying psn cards can any European card be bought or are they country specific?

They're country specific.

Cant seem to top up my wallet for some reason, asks for password then refreshes after input, tried my PayPal too!!!
    Where best place to buy prepaid card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Cant seem to top up my wallet for some reason, asks for password then refreshes after input, tried my PayPal too!!!

Is their nothing in your bank account maybe, it is christmas?

JamboMac wrote:
    Is their nothing in your bank account maybe, it is christmas?

Come to think of it, I left her mind it all weekend!

Is amazon best place to buy ps4 controller £42??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I had the same issue using verified by visa - but only saw it when I tried to purchase using a different browser. But even then it just kept cycling between the store and the VBV pop up so I just used my paypal account instead.

I think you can buy the store cards from Smyth's or Harvey Norman's. Pointless contacting Sony about it, they'll just tell you to ring them and put you on hold for 30 or 40 minutes (time of year and all that).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Hi folks,

I got a PS4 Pro last month and was reading that the latest update for TLoU (1.08) isn't as good as the previous one 1.07. I haven't got a chance to play the game yet (plan to over the holidays), but is it possible to select which patch you download or is it just an automatic process with no choice?

Thanks,

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rael wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I got a PS4 Pro last month and was reading that the latest update for TLoU (1.08) isn't as good as the previous one 1.07. I haven't got a chance to play the game yet (plan to over the holidays), but is it possible to select which patch you download or is it just an automatic process with no choice?

Thanks,

R

No choice, it's be whatever is new.

I'd say they'll sort it sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

How's the going people.
    Got the ps4 for my children for Xmas.
    Mainly a 7yr old boy. Now in am all over the place trying to find good games for him.
    He is a country boy who likes farming. So got him farm simulator. He is mad for car games but hard to get two player ones which will have to be a must. Any suggestions
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Track Mania Turbo is the only 2 player co-op racing game as far as I know.

You could try Rocket League as well, its basically car soccer. Thats also split screen co-op.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement