Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    USB 3.0 has a higher transfer speed than SATA2.

5GB v 3GB afaik

Although SATA2 has lower latency, for playing games via USB3 in theory should be faster loading.

I will move Fifa, which I play the most, to the extended storage and see how it goes.

Should be fine, otherwise they wouldn't set external drive as a default download&install location.

Game data is still stored on the local drive if I read the update notes correctly.

There will be no point in paying extra for consoles with a bigger drive if this works just fine ( unless one doesn't have a spare HDD lying around).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

The Share Factory gif maker is disappointing.

Gifs seem a bit small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Going to wait for Digital foundry before i do anything.

Anyone want to try and see if the external drive works on another PS4, or if it's encrypted to the single machine like internal drives.

May improve load times but you'll not grow a beard with the time you save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone else PSN download speeds abysmal today? Bought Horizon Zero Dawn, looking forward to getting a few hours in but download is taking forever. I've a PSPro if that makes any difference, went and connected the LAN cable to speed it up but still the same. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone else PSN download speeds abysmal today? Bought Horizon Zero Dawn, looking forward to getting a few hours in but download is taking forever. I've a PSPro if that makes any difference, went and connected the LAN cable to speed it up but still the same. :mad:

Apparently an issue after this FW update, check Reddit for info..

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5yttq3/ps4_update_450_lag_issue_how_to_fix/

Edit : Says it's on WiFi only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Fieldog wrote: »
    Apparently an issue after this FW update, check Reddit for info...

PS4 subreddit? Nothing jumping out on the front page. Will dig about though thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

PS4 subreddit? Nothing jumping out on the front page. Will dig about though thanks.

Apologies, just added a link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone want to try and see if the external drive works on another PS4, or if it's encrypted to the single machine like internal drives.

According to PS Access, you can plug it into another PS4 so long as you have your account on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anyone recommend an external HD ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do ye think deep down will ever see the light of day at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Do ye think deep down will ever see the light of day at this stage?

A second trademark was filed recently so you never know

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/16/capcom-files-second-trademark-for-deep-down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Otacon wrote: »
    According to PS Access, you can plug it into another PS4 so long as you have your account on it.

Doesn't seem to need to be yours.

From the sound of it you'd be fine if your account wasn't on the Ps4 as long as the other person had a licence either on their account or their PS4 was set as the home console for someone who has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really great looking bunch of indie games coming out in a weekly promotion until the end of April.

Can't wait to give Everything and What Remains of Edith Finch a go, both extremely promising (Everything looks every bit as bizarre as I'd hoped). Might finally get around to giving Parappa some time too.

Of course it'd have been nice if they held off some of the titles to allow for several months of Persona 5 time :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want a Parrappa that is finally playable on modern televisions. The input lag on even the best HD set makes that game Impossible to enjoy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

After the last update my PlayStation is suddenly not recognising any of my discs.
    I ve tried a few tricks from YouTube with no success. Has anyone encountered this and solved it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just want a Parrappa that is finally playable on modern televisions. The input lag on even the best HD set makes that game Impossible to enjoy now.

So your saying the crappy crt tv we used to use is quicker than the 800hz+. Something is off but parrappa wouldn't have any advantage on newer consoles, not just keep a retro setup. surely you can pickup a crappy tv from somewhere providing you have the disc.

Never understood button mashing games.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Sound like all the picture processing going on in the background is to blame here. How anyone is able to use a console online and not have they're butt handed to them every time is beyond me. Look into the setting of your TV for a 'Game mode' failing that, turn off every picture related 'enhancement' as all they do is add input lag to the user.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

JamboMac wrote: »
    So your saying the crappy crt tv we used to use is quicker than the 800hz+. Something is off but parrappa wouldn't have any advantage on newer consoles, not just keep a retro setup. surely you can pickup a crappy tv from somewhere providing you have the disc.

Never understood button mashing games.:confused:
    god's toy wrote: »
    Sound like all the picture processing going on in the background is to blame here. How anyone is able to use a console online and not have they're butt handed to them every time is beyond me. Look into the setting of your TV for a 'Game mode' failing that, turn off every picture related 'enhancement' as all they do is add input lag to the user.

I'm pretty well versed in how TV's work with regards to this. Old CRT TV's are actually far better than any LCD or Plasma TV when it comes to input lag, they have basically no input lag. Even the best HD TV set will have a few milliseconds of lag due to picture processing and the lag of the actual display elements. Even in game mode there is still lag. LCD technology is actually a massive step back from CRT tech, but won out due to how much smaller screens are and how cheap they are even if they lose out in black levels, colour depth and input lag. (CRT is well capable of HD resolutions, but as screen sizes get bigger a CRT needs to be insanely big and heavy). New games are built with this in mind, even rhythm games (Guitar Hero even had a calibration for you're screen). It only really becomes an issue in old games that require very strick timing, it can throw you off in stuff like very tough old Nintendo games.

Unfortunately Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy have very strick input timings and just don't work even on the best screens. The PSP rerelease was a total disaster as it had a laggy screen and Sony did the bare minimum to port it. The PSN PS1 classics are just as bad, I can't do well in them at all as the input is so off.

This release looks like a lot more work has been put into it and if Sony fix the inputs then I can't wait to play it again. I don't have room in my rented place for a CRT unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I see Doom is the Deal of the Week in the PS Store. 78% off - €14.99. Seems like a good deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Very good deal. Great single player and solid Multiplayer. I notice Hitman is down to €24.99, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone have any thoughts on which AC game is better, Unity or Syndicate? Im kinda in the mood for an AC game, havent really played one since 3. Both are pretty cheap on psn store now so might pick one of them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on which AC game is better, Unity or Syndicate? Im kinda in the mood for an AC game, havent really played one since 3. Both are pretty cheap on psn store now so might pick one of them up

Get black Flag if you Havant played prob my fave Ass creed after 2.

But I am going to say something mad i enjoyed Unity more then Syndicate .....

Both are good games all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Black flag is great.

I didn't like Unity at all. On a par with AC3 which is bad in my books.

Syndicate is far superior imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Black Flag didn't really feel like an assassins creed game. Yes it is good but Unity is much more like an assassins creed game IMO.

Unity for me is a better AC game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but Syndicate was the worst game I have ever come across for crashing and freezing. No real pattern to it, and very frustrating. Relatively new slim it was happening on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Think i may give unity a go, slightly cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Black Flag is the best, Syndicate is very good, Unity is a bit pooh (but I still finished it, cos I'm mental)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement