Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

shuffles03 wrote: »
    So, I have an Xbox and a PS4. Hadn't used my Xbox in months, decided to give it another whirl.

Off I popped into the Xbox store to see if any titles were worth having. I gave up after about 2 minutes. Games that are €12.99 in the PS Store (Batman AK) were €50 or more in the Xbox store. Also, games that were €29.99 in GameStop were €69.99 in the Xbox store.

What gives?

Anyway, PlayStation all the way!!!

So, Batman: AK, Shadow of Mordor or Assassins Creed: Syndicate.

All under €15.

What would you suggest?

(Or something else?)

at that price go for both batman and LOTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

There is no comparison between prices on PSN and Xbox, PSN wins hands down. Their pricing for games is great, sure it's expensive upon release but the price will go down rather quickly unlike on Xbox where it's common to see a five year old game still retailing for €70.

Positives for Xbox are EA Access great catalog and Games with Gold puts Sony's PlayStation plus to shame in most months. Also easy to switch regions to pick up deals.

Positives for Xbox are EA Access great catalog and Games with Gold puts Sony's PlayStation plus to shame in most months. Also easy to switch regions to pick up deals.

I find gold to be rather poor, many of the games have been on PS+ in the past and I think that people give Gold a much easier pass simply because every now and again they throw up a triple A title that could have been got for a fiver over the past year or two. Switching regions on PS4 is just as easy and honestly I'd have no faith in MS not changing policy and banning anyone who used different regions to get deals. They've banned people in the past for doing it whereas Sony have always been okay with people having multiple accounts on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I find gold to be rather poor, many of the games have been on PS+ in the past and I think that people give Gold a much easier pass simply because every now and again they throw up a triple A title that could have been got for a fiver over the past year or two. Switching regions on PS4 is just as easy and honestly I'd have no faith in MS not changing policy and banning anyone who used different regions to get deals. They've banned people in the past for doing it whereas Sony have always been okay with people having multiple accounts on the system.
    I would have given PSN Plus the crown in the past but Games with Gold has over taken it IMO. Especially now that the 360 Games with Gold titles can also be played on Xbox One via backward compatibility.

The issue with switching regions on the PlayStation is online content is locked to regions whereas on Xbox it does not matter which region you purchase games or DLC from. It just works on all regions.

Also on Playstation you need a different account for each region (EU, US, etc.) whereas on Xbox only 1 account is needed which will work on all regions.

No one has been banned on Xbox One for purchases out of region. From what I have seen both companies simply turn a blind eye to what it going on. We can't really point a finger at either company for what we think they might do in the future.

I would have given PSN Plus the crown in the past but Games with Gold has over taken it IMO. Especially now that the 360 Games with Gold titles can also be played on Xbox One via backward compatibility.

It really hasn't, sure Xbox gives bigger name titles but by the time they are free anyone who wants them had already bought them. PS+ may have more niche titles but a lot are brand me releases that haven't been sitting in bargain bins around the place for months. Also, most Vita titles work on the PS4 as well so that's an extra two games most months people forget about. Backward comparability is great but the point is lost on me, I have a 360 so of I want to play last gen games I'll turn that on. The whole free games thing is subjective but for me its PS all the way.
    The issue with switching regions on the PlayStation is online content is locked to regions whereas on Xbox it does not matter which region you purchase games or DLC from. It just works on all regions.

It does till the day MS change that and you loose content. They have banned people in the past for it and the only reason they are not doing it now is because Sony are trashing them. I would love MS to pull off something big but the line up of exclusives is woeful and with all One games now also on PC it's hard to see the console surviving and with the cost of Scorpio looking to be upwards of €600 it's difficult to see just who MS e targeting.
    No one has been banned on Xbox One for purchases out of region. From what I have seen both companies simply turn a blind eye to what it going on. We can't really point a finger at either company for what we think they might do in the future.

As I said, in the past and in the past MS have banned Xbox users for changing region settings to avail of cheaper pricing which is why I would be wary of buying too many titles from Singapore and the like. Sony have always been way more open with multiple accounts. I had my 360 banned by MS for playing GTAV over a week early, that Rockstar sent it to me to review made no difference and MS refused to remove the console ban. Sony on the other hand let the servers go online early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

*pops into thread*
    *sees another go-nowhere Xbox vs Playstation discussion*
    *closes thread, shakes head sadly*
    *goes back to playing Persona 5*
    *turns up volume as Persona 5 victory theme plays*
    *again makes note of how hard said victory theme brings the funk*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I thought cosmic star was out on tuesday but its not on the 18th in europe now, kind of annoyed by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

No its not, I have a us account to avail of offers etc But the games I buy on us account I play on my main irish account.

Anyway
    Both platforms have there issues, both have their advantages as well why the bickering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Both platforms have there issues, both have their advantages as well why the bickering.

I quote this image regularly, but there is no better encapsulation of the inanity of console wars:

PBF020-Skub.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

jcd5971 wrote: »
    No its not, I have a us account to avail of offers etc But the games I buy on us account I play on my main irish account.

If you bought Battlefield 1 on your US account and bought DLC on your main account the 2 are then incompatible. That's what we mean by issues with region hopping.

Also no one is bickering. It's actually quite an informative discussion excluding Johnny's immature responses of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If you bought Battlefield 1 on your US account and bought DLC on your main account the 2 are then incompatible. That's what we mean by issues with region hopping.

Also no one is bickering. It's actually quite an informative discussion excluding Johnny's immature responses of course :)

Very true I bought Advanced Warfare a couple of years back on my PSN US account I wanted to buy a gun camo on my US account but it did not appear when I signed into my Irish account so I then went and purchased it off Irish psn it allowed me to buy it but then it said i did not own the game so that was the last time I bothered with Sony's silly region locks. Also not allowing EA Access on the platform was a petty move by Sony.
    I have both consoles and do most of my gaming on PS4 but I will criticise both platforms where I see weaknesses Xbox One's laggy interface, lower fps and lack of killer exclusives (which worries me about the Scorpio release).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Very true I bought Advanced Warfare a couple of years back on my PSN US account I wanted to buy a gun camo on my US account but it did not appear when I signed into my Irish account so I then went and purchased it off Irish psn it allowed me to buy it but then it said i did not own the game so that was the last time I bothered with Sony's silly region locks. Also not allowing EA Access on the platform was a petty move by Sony.
    I have both consoles and do most of my gaming on PS4 but I will criticise both platforms where I see weaknesses Xbox One's laggy interface, lower fps and lack of killer exclusives (which worries me about the Scorpio release).

The dashboard on the One has been upgraded and removed the live tile so doesn't lag anymore.

I'm sitting here watching The Masters while remote playing Yakuza 0 on my laptop and I can't believe how well it's working. Barely any lag, picture is perfect, gets a little pixelated after any loading but goes away basically right away. Mightn't be ideal for twitch shooters etc but works so well for games like this. Amazing feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm sitting here watching The Masters while remote playing Yakuza 0 on my laptop and I can't believe how well it's working. Barely any lag, picture is perfect, gets a little pixelated after any loading but goes away basically right away. Mightn't be ideal for twitch shooters etc but works so well for games like this. Amazing feature.

Its class. I played FF 7 on my Vita in Cork over Christmas while my PS4 was in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I quote this image regularly, but there is no better encapsulation of the inanity of console wars:

PBF020-Skub.gif
    The only one I've seen saying it's a "war" is you. To the casual observer people are discussing pros and cons in a grounded manner.

But drama gets more thanks I guess.

Whats the deal with trophies ? I use tracking sites like true-trophies/achievements do I have to go into the trophies section on the dash every time I finish playing so new ones get reported to PSN :confused:

Or is there a setting I'm missing ?

gimmick wrote: »
    The only one I've seen saying it's a "war" is you. To the casual observer people are discussing pros and cons in a grounded manner.

But drama gets more thanks I guess.

That's fair enough. Perhaps I read said posts and interpreted a more fractious tone than intended, and so my apologies for being facetious.

Whats the deal with trophies ? I use tracking sites like true-trophies/achievements do I have to go into the trophies section on the dash every time I finish playing so new ones get reported to PSN :confused:

Nope, that's how it works!

Nope, that's how it works!

/shakes head

Ok if we're talking PS vs Xbox this is an area MS do better. Add to that how MS do cloud saves and gameclips both are automatic on xbox with no user intervention to set in motion.

Granted these are likely pressure points in slowing down the xbox dash vs the ps4 one.

In an ideal world I'd have the speed and layout of the the ps4 dash combined with the functionality of the xbox one's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Every time" is a bit over dramatic. I do it every few weeks if or when I think of it. It's no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Penn wrote:
    "Every time" is a bit over dramatic. I do it every few weeks if or when I think of it. It's no big deal.

I don't think you understand. Enfilade is an achievement/trophy addict!

It does add a lot more effort to the tracking website in fairness. If you're trying to keep an eye on trophy progress as you play.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

It does add a lot more effort to the tracking website in fairness. If you're trying to keep an eye on trophy progress as you play.

:D

It's just an annoyance , you log off for the night go to check progress and realise you forgot to sync trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It's pure silliness on Sony's part, no reason why it shouldn't automatically sync itself. Sony can very "amateur hour" when it comes to PSN at times.

Benzino wrote: »
    It's pure silliness on Sony's part, no reason why it shouldn't automatically sync itself. Sony can very "amateur hour" when it comes to PSN at times.

First off, I agree. PS4 doesn't even auto-sync when in sleep mode. It's all very last gen.

Having said that - it really doesn't bother me. If Sony had a list of PSN features to improve, that would easily be below the ability to change PSN id.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭Penn

:D

It's just an annoyance , you log off for the night go to check progress and realise you forgot to sync trophies.

Fair enough, I guess for people who properly follow trophies and stuff, it can probably be annoying. Is it possible to do through the app?

Penn wrote: »
    Fair enough, I guess for people who properly follow trophies and stuff, it can probably be annoying. Is it possible to do through the app?

I guess I never thought to check actually. I'll have a look later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a trophy last night for Mass effect and didn't sync and it's on my profile today, after checking on my phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Like myself :D

I got one piece burning blood with the 10 euro pay back thing, and payed 10 myself, hope its good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Uncharted 4: The Lost Legacy is out on August 23rd and pre-orders get the upcoming four Jak and Daxter PS2 classics for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Uncharted 4: The Lost Legacy is out on August 23rd and pre-orders get the upcoming four Jak and Daxter PS2 classics for free.

Any news on length of game? We looking at something similar to Left Behind TLOU DLC?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement