Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I've owned a HTC Vive headset which blows the PSVR headset out of the water and I regretted not putting that money into a new TV.

I did eventually sell it and put the funds towards a nice 4k TV. I'd recommend using your money for a good TV.

Thanks, I suppose that I'll get more use from the TV to overall. I was thinking that the VR looks very good for certain games and that was the way gaming was going in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Dont have a htc vive so I'll take failsafe at his word there with his comparison.

Personally I found vr amazing for about a week then I stopped using it, got resi for vr and it was one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. It's now on my shelf again and not used in weeks.

So I suppose my point is do you consider the price worth it for small bursts of excitment. Personaly I do but then again you could as failsafe suggests put the money toward a good 4k hdr TV, which will give you more bang for your buck. While save away for vr and by the time you have some funds again there may be some more games out.

Edit: fixing autocorrect error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I've no input regarding VR, but I would say that now is a bad time to buy 4K TV. Best to wait till 2018 in my opinion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Benzino wrote: »
    I would say that now is a bad time to buy 4K TV. Best to wait till 2018 in my opinion.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Why is that?

Any good 4k TV will be expensive, which is further compounded by the lack of 4k content available to view on it. Non-4K content can look worse on a 4K TV (this will depend on the quality of the TV of course).

Then there is the fact that HDR is still very new tech with some issues (such as viewing in a well lit room). There are currently 4 different implementations of HDR I believe, so expect a lot of changes to HDR in TV's over the coming months/years.

Just like with 3D TV's, it's best to give these a bit more time to let the tech settle. Unless of course money is no object, then fire away :)

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    Any good 4k TV will be expensive, which is further compounded by the lack of 4k content available to view on it. Non-4K content can look worse on a 4K TV (this will depend on the quality of the TV of course).

Then there is the fact that HDR is still very new tech with some issues (such as viewing in a well lit room). There are currently 4 different implementations of HDR I believe, so expect a lot of changes to HDR in TV's over the coming months/years.

Just like with 3D TV's, it's best to give these a bit more time to let the tech settle. Unless of course money is no object, then fire away :)

Add to this Microsoft are adding AMD Freesync support on the Scorpio which no TV supports yet but may do down the road and something Sony may look at too, it's all the more reason to wait. I know no matter when you buy a TV/Monitor there will always be a better one 6 months later but for me at least it's definitely not a time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd recommend buying now.

If you wait until 2018 you'll be paying 2018 pricing which with improved display tech will cost a fortune. You'd need to be buying the 2018 model in 2019/2020 for it to be worthwhile.

I have a 55 inch 4K TV with HDR and it is fantastic. It was down a thousand euro from its 2016 price.

Most big brand 4K TVs upscale standard HD to 4K really well. I watch a good mix of standard HD to full UHD 4K content.

I find there is plenty of 4K content. My usual 4K content is Netflix, YouTube, gaming, and UHD Blu-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Picked up lego city underground today, is there a thread anywhere for it? Pretty good fun so far, lot of references to films and quite funny in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TeflonRon

Did anyone who sign up for the GT Sport Beta get in?

I registered ages ago but got no email.....I'm on the search for one, but I believe its linked to your PSN id so cant be shared :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TeflonRon wrote: »
    Did anyone who sign up for the GT Sport Beta get in?

I registered ages ago but got no email.....I'm on the search for one, but I believe its linked to your PSN id so cant be shared :(

Signed up as well but heard Nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Signed up as well but heard Nada.

Same as that. Signed up but heard nothing unfortunately. When does it start?

Same as that. Signed up but heard nothing unfortunately. When does it start?

Started last Friday :(

Everybody's Golf releasing on 30th August this year, really looking forward to this. Nort sure on fishing, buggy racing and treasure hunting in the open world though..

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/04/20/everybodys-golf-tees-off-for-ps4-on-30th-august/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

awesome news
    Played this more than any other game for about 3 years. There's a pretty good group that play it online, used to be real good fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got €40 in my wallet, €10 of which may or may not expire so have to either buy something now in the sale or maybe just pre-order Destiny 2.

Anyone know much about Marvel Heroes Omega? Free beta available now if you buy a founders pack....:rolleyes:

Avengers pack - 60 quid
    GotG pack - 36
    Xmen - 60
    Deadpool - 18
    Spiderman - 18
    War Machine - 17

So, do they want 18 euro so I can play a beta and instantly unlock Spidey to play as? Do I get the full game for free when it comes out?

Apparently, for Committed Hardcore Players i.e idiots, they get a bonus......costume and hero..... Yupp, spend 209 euro and get 1 character and skin as a thanks.

"Committed, hardcore players who purchase all five of the Marvel Heroes Omega Founder’s Packs will receive a tremendous dedicated fan bonus that includes:
    - Timed Exclusive Symbiote Spider-Man Costume
    - Timed Exclusive Hero Iron Fist
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote:
    "Committed, hardcore players who purchase all five of the Marvel Heroes Omega Founder’s Packs will receive a tremendous dedicated fan bonus that includes: ...... "

At that price you should probably get Scarlett Johansson's phone number if your that dedicated/stupid to buy all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Do I get the full game for free when it comes out?

"

It's going to be free to play so better off waiting for it to release.

• Advertisement

It's going to be free to play so better off waiting for it to release.

Ah cool, looking forward to trying it when it comes out so. I'd say the top guys will be crazy in game money to buy going by the founder pack prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mafia 3 any use? Have ?48 CEX voucher, and mrs is away for the weekend so once baby is put to bed at 8 I've plenty game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gimmick wrote:
    Mafia 3 any use? Have ?48 CEX voucher, and mrs is away for the weekend so once baby is put to bed at 8 I've plenty game time.

Don't have it but it's meant to get drawn out after a few hours & the missions become the same few things over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

gimmick wrote: »

It's alright but there's naff all to do outside the main story and it does get a bit repetitive. I'm enjoying Watch Dogs 2 much more.

Isn't there a "trial mode" for this? I think you get the first 1/3 of the game or something.

I'm not sure what work has been done to it since launch patch wise, but at launch visually it was a mess especially when compared to other games in it's field.

It has 6-8 good missions in the main story. The rest is a task of taking over districts to draw out the lieutenant and ultimately get to do a story mission. Repeat 4-5 times , game over. I by repeat I mean do exactly the same set of tasks in the next district. They even reuse locations you literally just cleared out 5 minutes before for the lieutenant take downs. Madness given the size of the city.

On the plus side the combat I thought was pretty good and the sound track is fantastic. I wouldn't pay any more than 20 quid for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anyone have any issues with the audio/picture losing sync when playing movies off usb?

Decided to get Horizon Zero dawn. Absolute thievery in CEX at ?68 but with a ?48 voucher its only ?20.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Decided to get Horizon Zero dawn. Absolute thievery in CEX at ?68 but with a ?48 voucher its only ?20.

68 for a second hand game? There just as bad as gamestop, they've gotten very brazen with there prices.

• Advertisement

68 for a second hand game? There just as bad gamestop, they've gotten very brazen with there prices.

It was €75 2 weeks ago. Im comfortable with it as I only paid €20 and had the voucher over a year.

But I think their rationale must be that people are using vouchers quite often so thats how they keep their prices up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement