Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Just watching a YouTube stream there and it looked like a great laugh, tense as ****. Pulled the trigger and bought it. Press X to Jason indeed.

Let me know your first impressions if you don't mind. Think I'll bite at it tomorrow alright when home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Let me know your first impressions if you don't mind. Think I'll bite at it tomorrow alright when home.

Will do, will be giving it a lash in a little while and will post my thoughts.

Posted some thoughts on the game thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057684260

It's ****ing class!

Best online experience in absolutely ages. Took ages to get into a game, devs currently working on it, but was the best craic in gaming in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Best online experience in absolutely ages. Took ages to get into a game, devs currently working on it, but was the best craic in gaming in a long long time.

You seem to be predisposed to creeping looking guys in masks though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got mad Max a couple of weeks ago for 12 euro, I uninstalled it tonight , not a bad game but Christ I found it a chore too play and I love open world games generally .

I got mad Max a couple of weeks ago for 12 euro, I uninstalled it tonight , not a bad game but Christ I found it a chore too play and I love open world games generally .

Shame to hear that, I've had my eye on it for a while. Have very little time for gaming these days, so might give it a miss now.

Was it a chore because it was a collectathon, or just not fun to play in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Picked up Layers of Fear a while back and just started playing it last night and it is a cracking game. I missed out on getting the chance to play PT but the games is compared to it a lot in reviews. Probably the most obvious caveat for people is that it is a walking simulator but it certainly knows how to unsettle and disorientate you. Halfway through it now and it keeps upping the ante throughout - nice use of the speaker in the controller as well. Even if the ending is totally pants, I'll have enjoyed the ride. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shame to hear that, I've had my eye on it for a while. Have very little time for gaming these days, so might give it a miss now.

Was it a chore because it was a collectathon, or just not fun to play in general?

In order too upgrade your car you need too collect scrap and upgrades cost 300,500 per upgrade and the scrap in the collections you get is very little , 1,3,5,or if your lucky 14 on a rare occasion, so it was a bit of a grindfest which is why it felt like a chore, which is odd because I normally don't mind grinding all that much in games,just in this it wasn't fun , other than that it's not a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Anyone picked up Rime yet? Looks like a good game and am very tempted...

Actually cheaper on the store than anywhere else I can find (given Amazon are quoting a 1-2 month delivery!)

• Advertisement

Actually cheaper on the store than anywhere else I can find (given Amazon are quoting a 1-2 month delivery!)

I pre-ordered it on xbox store for 26.99 just before release. Argos have it for 37 :eek:

I'm really enjoying it despite the puzzles being a little too easy. Feels like a 6-8 hour game. it's a real treat for the eyes and ears and the climbing mechanics are really tight so you'll rarely if ever fall or miss a jump.

It has some frame rate problems in places, but nothing marjor.

I'd have been happier paying 19.99 for it I think, feels more the price point it should be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

In order too upgrade your car you need too collect scrap and upgrades cost 300,500 per upgrade and the scrap in the collections you get is very little , 1,3,5,or if your lucky 14 on a rare occasion, so it was a bit of a grindfest which is why it felt like a chore, which is odd because I normally don't mind grinding all that much in games,just in this it wasn't fun , other than that it's not a bad game.

I played through Mad Max and quite enjoyed it. Don't know what I was doing, but I found the ungrades very easy to buy. Can't remember ever struggling for scrap. Did you upgrade your strongholds? You'll get the ability to see scrap on the map and also be able to collect scrap from cars your destroy without having to get out of the car.

Edit: also I'm pretty sure a lot of upgrades could be gotten by completing missions/side missions. And upgrades cost be tween a few hundred to a few thousand not 300,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I pre-ordered it on xbox store for 26.99 just before release. Argos have it for 37 :eek:

I'm really enjoying it despite the puzzles being a little too easy. Feels like a 6-8 hour game. it's a real treat for the eyes and ears and the climbing mechanics are really tight so you'll rarely if ever fall or miss a jump.

It has some frame rate problems in places, but nothing marjor.

I'd have been happier paying 19.99 for it I think, feels more the price point it should be at.

Yeah Argos is the best I can find. Thegamecollection are usually my go to but are sold out so I might wait this one out til a price drop. Have an alert on psprices.com so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the mini review, it's definitely now on the list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Did you upgrade your strongholds?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the grind? Game looks great and is fun to play but the grind is so repetitive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Just found out Back To The Future game has no platinum for digital owners, this is one of the most idiotic things Ive ever heard :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Xbox sticks arrived from ebay today,just finished putting them into the DS4 there.

They look good but i have noticed what looks like a notch and a little bit of excess rubber from what looks like the moulding process. Hopefully just wears away naturally.

418638.jpg

418639.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's good but derivative. It's a mesh of Ico, Journey and The Witness, but doesn't really (so far) live up to any of those three prestigious inspirations. That said, it looks stunning at times (wait until it's night and gaze skywards) and I dig the balance they've achieved between linearity and openness. Appreciate their commitment to minimalist delivery too, even if the super vague story and gameplay don't properly impact on each other (The Last Guardian has set my standards absurdly high when it comes to that).

I have been and still am playing a few big games it's a nicely focused short one to balance that out - but Gen Design (nee Team Ico) remain the masters at this sort of thing :)

It's good but derivative. It's a mesh of Ico, Journey and The Witness, but doesn't really (so far) live up to any of those three prestigious inspirations. That said, it looks stunning at times (wait until it's night and gaze skywards) and I dig the balance they've achieved between linearity and openness. Appreciate their commitment to minimalist delivery too, even if the super vague story and gameplay don't properly impact on each other (The Last Guardian has set my standards absurdly high when it comes to that).

I have been and still am playing a few big games it's a nicely focused short one to balance that out - but Gen Design (nee Team Ico) remain the masters at this sort of thing :)

Finished it earlier, ending is decent enough but not a patch on the games you mention, felt like a lot of the narrative was shoehorned in at the end of it.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Xbox sticks arrived from ebay today,just finished putting them into the DS4 there.

They look good but i have noticed what looks like a notch and a little bit of excess rubber from what looks like the moulding process. Hopefully just wears away naturally.
    What are they like to play with? I'm curious becuase I find the PS4 analogue sticks are a tad too short for my liking. Hard to see from the pictures, but it seems like the XB1 sticks are a little taller.

Aside: You know those foam covers you get for earbuds? Usually I put those on the tips of the analogue sticks; I fnd they provide extra grip and are more comfortable, especially in longer play sessions.

What are they like to play with? I'm curious becuase I find the PS4 analogue sticks are a tad too short for my liking. Hard to see from the pictures, but it seems like the XB1 sticks are a little taller.

Aside: You know those foam covers you get for earbuds? Usually I put those on the tips of the analogue sticks; I fnd they provide extra grip and are more comfortable, especially in longer play sessions.

Had a good four hour session on destiny last night and have to say they feel quite good. They are definitely taller than the standard DS4 sticks. Felt weird for about ten mins but fine after that. Im quite impressed,they feel like a big improvement over the standard sticks to me. Ill have to see how they fare in the long run regarding longevity but id be tempted to change all my controllers,Sont really made a balls of the analogue sticks on the DS4.

• Advertisement

On mobile so cant embed but heres a pic of a brand new DS4 and the one i changed the sticks on,Xbox sticks are a bit taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

This 340MB software update is looking like it'll take well over an hour on my 85MBps connection. Was really looking forward to an hour of Overwatch with the place to myself. Absolutely infuriating.

A Neurotic wrote:
    This 340MB software update is looking like it'll take well over an hour on my 85MBps connection. Was really looking forward to an hour of Overwatch with the place to myself. Absolutely infuriating.

Downloaded and installed of in minutes, have never really hada problem with speeds. Downloaded Resident Evil, Resi 6 and Dishonored 2 in under an hour. It's with checking that you have the ports open and everything set up correctly so as to the best speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Took three minutes for me. Never had an issue with downloading here or had to change ports or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Downloaded it in 90 seconds this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

God damn you all with your amazing broadband ....Mine says 5 hours left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A Neurotic wrote: »

Something wrong there. I'm only around 60MBps and it took probably at most 4 minutes to download. Don't even know how long it was but when I saw it was just going to be a few minutes, I just checked Twitter until it was done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have automatic updates in rest mode enabled, so shouldn't this update have installed by itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It downloads the update but I think you still have to install it when you next log on, so that they can get you to buy into the T&Cs. That's certainly what happened with me yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It downloads the update but I think you still have to install it when you next log on, so that they can get you to buy into the T&Cs. That's certainly what happened with me yesterday.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess it only installs game updates automatically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement