Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Witcher 3 pisses all over Skyrim. ALL OVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I'm actually playing through Skyrim again with the last couple of months on and off, and I keep realising how much poorer it is than TW3.

It's ruined most RPGs for me. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Bloodborne is my game of the generation anyway (so far).
    The more I'm playing Horizon, the more I'm enjoy it but it doesn't hold a candle to BB.

Neither hold a candle to Yakuza 0, best game I've played since Witcher 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Evil brutal gangsters with a heart of gold that sing karaoke. The tonal shifts in the Yakuza games is totally ridiculous, unrealistic and frankly dumb. And they are amazing because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Witcher 3 pisses all over Skyrim. ALL OVER.

U sound rather convincing :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Syphonax wrote: »
    U sound rather convincing :pac:

the man speaks the truth.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    the man speaks the truth.

Im sold so :rolleyes: Witcher doesnt appear to be as open world as Skyrim, prehaps more polished less bugs but seems to look very Assassin Creek type of game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Im sold so :rolleyes: Witcher doesnt appear to be as open world as Skyrim, prehaps more polished less bugs but seems to look very Assassin Creek type of game

Where were you looking to get that view of it? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Take a chance on it and you'll be saying skyrim who? pretty soon after.

• Advertisement

I cleared Skyrim, it was grand, didn't get the hype. I thought Witcher 3 would be more of the same but gave it a go. Not only was it brilliant, it ruined other games for me. I was supposed to love Fallout 4 but ended up hating it. Mass Effect Andromeda was boring, even Horizon didn't hold my interest. You hear Devs these days "oh we are gonna have Witcher 3 esque side quests", game releases, side quest = collect 10 plants. ****ty lying lazy devs.

Put it this way, Blood & Wine, the 2nd DLC for Witcher 3 was the best game out in 2016 (poor year but still a true story)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm going to get roasted here but i spent a good 15 hours with Witcher 3 and lost interest. Now thats not to say its a bad game, there were elements I loved but I just came to the conclusion it wasn't for me shortly after finishing the Bloody Baron quest. I might go back to it at some point but don't know, just got a laptop capable of playing most PC games and have already built up a backlog and they all seem more appealing than Witcher 3. Having said that I know i'm in the minority I just don't think its the type of game for me.

I'm going to get roasted here but i spent a good 15 hours with Witcher 3 and lost interest. Now thats not to say its a bad game, there were elements I loved but I just came to the conclusion it wasn't for me shortly after finishing the Bloody Baron quest. I might go back to it at some point but don't know, just got a laptop capable of playing most PC games and have already built up a backlog and they all seem more appealing than Witcher 3. Having said that I know i'm in the minority I just don't think its the type of game for me.

Did you actually do roleplaying or just played a goody two shoes?

Absolutely hated western style RPGs until I realised you could play the character anyway you want. 'Hmm this character is really annoying but I have to help everyone...'. No you don't. Punch him in the face and let him deal with it.

The Witcher series is far and away the best game for this type of quest structure. My friend was telling me he was role playing as the actual character in the game, someone that tries to stay out of trouble. He had to choose sides in a quest, didn't, just walked away. The game is so well made it took this into account and gave the quest an actual ending base on this where lesser games (Skyrim :pac:) would have that quest just wait there to be completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you actually do roleplaying or just played a goody two shoes?

Absolutely hated western style RPGs until I realised you could play the character anyway you want. 'Hmm this character is really annoying but I have to help everyone...'. No you don't. Punch him in the face and let him deal with it.

The Witcher series is far and away the best game for this type of quest structure. My friend was telling me he was role playing as the actual character in the game, someone that tries to stay out of trouble. He had to choose sides in a quest, didn't, just walked away. The game is so well made it took this into account and gave the quest an actual ending base on this where lesser games (Skyrim :pac:) would have that quest just wait there to be completed.

I don't recall having any major choices to roleplay a certain way apart from the bit with the Baron? May well be that i'm not remembering as its been a while since I played it. Honestly I just don't think RPGs aren't for me anymore, i just don't have the time to sink 40+ hours into a game. Around 20 hours is the sweet spot for me these days. I'm not doubting anyone who says its great and I'm sure it is, it's just not for me.

I think I only spent about 30 hours with HZD which is why I suggested it as the best new IP of this PS4 gen, loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

In found the combat to be very uninteresting in both games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Benzino wrote: »

Same. I bought the Witcher 3 based on the hype and didnt really enjoy it. A bit boring for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Also playing horizon at the moment. It's weird I know I should be loving this game but after Farcry primal I'm just not feeling it.
    I'm still enjoying it but finding the repetition and searching a bit draining.
    My gameplay style though is less to the traps aspect and more to stealth but maybe soon it'll tweak for me.

Still think primal was excellent and so far superior.

Benzino wrote: »

Valid complaint. Combat in witcher is ropey. I heard it's much better on the harder difficulties where you need to use potions and buffs to take on enemies... but that sounds like too much effort :D
    Taltos wrote: »
    Also playing horizon at the moment. It's weird I know I should be loving this game but after Farcry primal I'm just not feeling it.
    I'm still enjoying it but finding the repetition and searching a bit draining.
    My gameplay style though is less to the traps aspect and more to stealth but maybe soon it'll tweak for me.

Still think primal was excellent and so far superior.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild ruined it on me. Horizon is probably the best of the Ubisoft formula games you can get by quite a significant margin, but Zelda represents something different and better and I just can't get into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Witcher series is an odd one for me. I played the first quarter of 1 just before 2 was released and absolutely hated it, specifically the combat. But I could see the potential in the story and 2 looked to be much improved. So I watched the story of the Witcher 1 and dove into 2.

Got about half way and and it really felt like hard work to progress through the game as the gameplay became very tedious. Watched the story online.

Was very excited for 3 - I even bought it in English and Japanese - and was quite enjoying it at the start, but the same thing happened as with 2. Just found it hard to care and still didn't like the combat or gameplay in general. I even hated Gwent which is odd because on paper I should love it.

It's kind of inexplicable as to why, but the Witcher isn't for me.

With that said I'm 30 hours into Horizon and still loving every minute. Was even surprised when some people said they don't like the combat. I agree that it's the best new IP on PS4. Haven't played BB yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I liked the witcher. Was one game that I kept coming back to play and Gwent took up a lot of my time. So much so I did a second play though just for Gwent.

Great to play and not have to be good or bad .

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Same. I bought the Witcher 3 based on the hype and didnt really enjoy it. A bit boring for me.

Looking at Witcher on youtube and it really doesnt look that fantastic and is far less an open to Skyrim TBH. I want to buy it but after playing Skyrim thoroughly I really think Witcher will be a disappointment and waste of money.

Witcher is more about the writing and side quests than the exploring. Skyrim is a vast open world of.... well not all that much. Witcher on the other hand has side quests with stories with moral grey choices that make the entirety of Skyrim look like thefantasy by a 12 year old that's played too much d&d.

They're kind of different games. One you play for the storyline and role playing. The other to go exploring a vast fantasy world filled with dozens of boring black and white choice or fetch quests. Neither is for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Skyrim was fantastic for it's time, albeit it's not THAT old. Witcher 3 came along and just beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Looking at Witcher on youtube and it really doesnt look that fantastic and is far less an open to Skyrim TBH. I want to buy it but after playing Skyrim thoroughly I really think Witcher will be a disappointment and waste of money.

I got bored of the constant long cut scenes that couldn't be skipped in Witcher. I bought it on the strength of reviews here but I honestly thought it was awful. There is a story in there but it was bloody slow.

Is there a better scene in Witcher than the one in Skyrim when you're conducting the truce? People arguing all over the place! I think it the season unending quest. Skyrim is repetitive in parts but has real depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm 220 hours into Witcher 3, currently playing the DLC. The storytelling and voice acting is light years ahead of anything else.

I liked Skyrim when it came out but it's been surpassed.

Is there a better scene in Witcher than the one in Skyrim when you're conducting the truce? People arguing all over the place! I think it the season unending quest. Skyrim is repetitive in parts but has real depth.

Been a while since I've played the Witcher but the quest about the baron's baby was insanely good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I picked up Witcher 3 a while ago and currently as far as the Baron. I'm really impressed with the story and how well integrated the side quests are. My only criticism is the clunky RPG interface and that the whole thing feels like a lazy PC port. I need to get back into it and this is the main thing putting me off. Also the "go to talk to this person who asks you to do something for them leading you to someone else who also asks you to do something for them" gameplay is kinda tiresome, but hopefully it gets better. I haven't played Skyrim but if it's anything like Oblivion then Witcher wipes the floor with it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've got both Skyrim and Witcher 3 and never played either. A mate of mine swears that I'll love Witcher 3 in the same way that I love Red Dead Redemption (i.e. it's the story, characters and exploration of the environment that drew me into that game so much). But it all looks way too RPG-y for me. I hate, hate, hate RPGs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I put a few hours into Witcher 3 but realised I just do not have the time or patience for a game that big.

Shame as it looks and sounds amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement