Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of that Discover notification?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

anyone getting elder scrolls online?

cant find it cheaper then E65 anywhere which is dissapointing. there is usually places doing games for 60. like smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MarkY91 wrote: »
    anyone getting elder scrolls online?

cant find it cheaper then E65 anywhere which is dissapointing. there is usually places doing games for 60. like smyths.

Argos will probably have it for around €62, they seem to shave about €5 off games for the first week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Xenji wrote: »
    Argos will probably have it for around €62, they seem to shave about €5 off games for the first week.

It kills me to pay €65 for a video game as im used to paying stateside price or €55 here alot. I just dont feel that a video game should be over 60. Ill pay anyways as i cant wait for ESO and im not TOO stingy lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a bad feeling that at this E3 Sony are going to try and coast it and reveal nothing at all. With the comment about how few exclusives will be on the system and how badly Sony do when they get smug (and they haven't been this smug since the PS2) it's a bit worrying and MS will probably be pulling out all the stops to try and one up them. Kind of getting annoyed at the lack of exclusives on the system considering I have a gaming PC for multiplatform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a bad feeling that at this E3 Sony are going to try and coast it and reveal nothing at all. With the comment about how few exclusives will be on the system and how badly Sony do when they get smug (and they haven't been this smug since the PS2) it's a bit worrying and MS will probably be pulling out all the stops to try and one up them. Kind of getting annoyed at the lack of exclusives on the system considering I have a gaming PC for multiplatform.

How are Sony been smug? (genuine question, I can only think of their lack of updates and poor PSN).

I think they need more exclusives too, but the same applies to the One. In my opinion, there is no reason to own a One over a PS4 at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS4 is pretty much running away with this generation and really Sony haven't done anything to warrant that. With the exceptions of Bloodbourne and resogun it offers pretty much the same experience as the One. Sony can just sit back and watch the units fly off the shelves and it's pretty much what they have been doing. The rabid fanboys have been giving Sony a lot of undeserved loyalty (all Sony really did was **** up less than Microsoft). I mean Sony introduced paid online gaming, something that would have caused a huge uproar during the PS3 era and there wasn't a word whispered about it because people were so up in arms about Microsoft (and probably rightly so). They got away with murder on that one and if I was Sony is be feeling smug considering what the fanbase is adoring of you when they've kind of just did nothing. It suits Sony as well since they don't have much capital to invest considering there terrible financial position.

The one seems to be a disaster (D4 just got a PC release and with it the only reason I'd buy a One) so Microsoft are going to be a bit desperate come E3. Now the one thing I've noticed about MS is every year they have a terrible E3 that is incredibly boring. Sony understand the success of the Playstation consoles hadn't been because they had popular games but because they had a wide range of games to suit every taste. A lot of the time Sonys internal studios are there to fill in the gaps left by third parties by creating weird creative niche titles. Microsoft on the other had rolls out the dull and familiar. They over rely on Halo and really they need more than a Gears of War remake to get me excited, that is one remake that really isn't getting anyone excited. I feel MS is going to focus on popular sports and shooter titles leading another typical MS borefest.

Anyway I hope I'm wrong. Nintendo will be exciting as usual although for them everything they announce is everything that is coming to WiiU this year. I'd like to see a good Sony show but I just don't think they have the investment capital at the moment to introduce a lot of new games and if the flounder it will be fun to see a desperate MS up their game and it might make Sony get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of that Discover notification?

Really annoys me everytime i turn on my console and that stupid discover thing pops up!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Maybe sonys going to focus alot on VR, dont forget about that. I bet we get new first part exclusives too, atleast one.. maybe they'll show that rpg the guys who made Killzone are working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Maybe sonys going to focus alot on VR, dont forget about that. I bet we get new first part exclusives too, atleast one.. maybe they'll show that rpg the guys who made Killzone are working on.

They cant throw all their efforts behind this as it not going to be viable in the long term (see kinect as an example).
    Sony need to announce new games and IP for next year. We already know this winter will be barren. Lets hope next year will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

. how badly Sony do when they get smug (and they haven't been this smug since the PS2)

You're basing this on what...?

Their big game was supposed to be UC4 late 2015. That got pushed back, and now they have little else. How is that coasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The PS4 is pretty much running away with this generation and really Sony haven't done anything to warrant that. With the exceptions of Bloodbourne and resogun it offers pretty much the same experience as the One. Sony can just sit back and watch the units fly off the shelves and it's pretty much what they have been doing. The rabid fanboys have been giving Sony a lot of undeserved loyalty (all Sony really did was **** up less than Microsoft). I mean Sony introduced paid online gaming, something that would have caused a huge uproar during the PS3 era and there wasn't a word whispered about it because people were so up in arms about Microsoft (and probably rightly so). They got away with murder on that one and if I was Sony is be feeling smug considering what the fanbase is adoring of you when they've kind of just did nothing. It suits Sony as well since they don't have much capital to invest considering there terrible financial position.

I wouldn't agree that Sony don't warrant it. They didn't try to introduce an always online system which us, the consumers, clearly didn't want. I think they should be applauded for that and also their policy on second hand games (which I've no doubt they would like to kill off just like MS). It has been proven since that neither company has the infrastructure ready for an always online future with the numerous "hacks" and downtimes both services have had.

Sony produced a machine that is focussed on gaming only, and had the best price point of the 2. They learned from their mistakes with the PS3 and I think they should be applauded for that, just like MS should be applauded for their quick change on policy.

As for PSN, I'm one of it's biggest critics as I think it is very unreliable, however I wasn't surprised they introduced pay to play online. If I'm honest, I expected that as soon as MS announced it for the Xbox 360 and I have a feeling most people expected that announcement. In saying that, they have not improved PSN to warrant charging for it now.
    The one seems to be a disaster (D4 just got a PC release and with it the only reason I'd buy a One) so Microsoft are going to be a bit desperate come E3. Now the one thing I've noticed about MS is every year they have a terrible E3 that is incredibly boring. Sony understand the success of the Playstation consoles hadn't been because they had popular games but because they had a wide range of games to suit every taste. A lot of the time Sonys internal studios are there to fill in the gaps left by third parties by creating weird creative niche titles. Microsoft on the other had rolls out the dull and familiar. They over rely on Halo and really they need more than a Gears of War remake to get me excited, that is one remake that really isn't getting anyone excited. I feel MS is going to focus on popular sports and shooter titles leading another typical MS borefest.

Anyway I hope I'm wrong. Nintendo will be exciting as usual although for them everything they announce is everything that is coming to WiiU this year. I'd like to see a good Sony show but I just don't think they have the investment capital at the moment to introduce a lot of new games and if the flounder it will be fun to see a desperate MS up their game and it might make Sony get the finger out.

I just think it's a bit too early to be calling them smug and we should wait till after E3, they may surprise us with a couple of Bloodborne type announcements which we will see released within a year (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I think there are 2 reasons why paying for online didn't cause uproar.

One was that the momentum they had from Microsoft ****ing up so much gave them a huge advantage.

The other being that the majority of gamers who pay attention to things like E3 already have PS+ so it didn't make a difference. That was the main thing for me anyway.

Only disappointment now is there are now PS+ sub sales.

Also I definitely think it's fair to say they're have been a lack of big exclusives but there is a lot of cool looking exclusives coming out. The problem for a lot of these is we've no idea when they are being released.

Off the top of my head the main exclusives right now are Tearaway, Until Dawn and Persona 5. Persona 5 & Tearaway (to a lesser extent) being Playstation exclusives instead of PS4.

Off the top of my head, here are some smaller ones coming out this year:
    The Tomorrow Children
    Rime
    The Witness
    Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
    Wild (This probably won't be this year)

Orizio wrote: »
    You're basing this on what...?

Their big game was supposed to be UC4 late 2015. That got pushed back, and now they have little else. How is that coasting?

Based on the smuggness of Sony for the PS3 launch. It's hard to remember now since it was 10 years ago but Sony expected to walk into the console generation without even trying and gain a majority of sales, it's what they did for the PS2 (which compared to the Dreamcast was awful until third parties and not Sony took up the slack). The smuggness worked there but they had a much stronger competitor for the PS3.

It's coasting because they have little else just like you said. Really Sony are succeeding at the moment despite not even trying to. Why try harder when you don't have to? If I was Sony and on the business side it makes perfect sense not to invest when the market is clearly showing that they don't have to due to lack of competition.
    Benzino wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that Sony don't warrant it. They didn't try to introduce an always online system which us, the consumers, clearly didn't want. I think they should be applauded for that and also their policy on second hand games (which I've no doubt they would like to kill off just like MS).

I don't think it's really anything to be applauded. When you think about it all they are really doing is offering the same as the PS3 except they are charging for online. In fact they are actually offering less than the PS3, the PS4 is a much worse media system than the PS3 with numerous features missing and disasterous playback especially in PAL regions (might have been fixed). I'd just be applauding them for actually offering less than the PS3. Also the PS4 console focused just on games is just a marketing ploy. Sony still want to sell you on media services, they just don't have the total disaster of XBox One's media system... I'm not even sure what the point of that thing is? I feel Sony aren't just playing it safe at the moment, they aren't really trying which is what is what has me worried. Sony is usually very strong with internal development, a lot of the best and most interesting stuff comes from them so hopefully we hear more at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I don't think it's really anything to be applauded. When you think about it all they are really doing is offering the same as the PS3 except they are charging for online. In fact they are actually offering less than the PS3, the PS4 is a much worse media system than the PS3 with numerous features missing and disasterous playback especially in PAL regions (might have been fixed).

As much as I love ps4 for it's quality, speed etc I still miss my ps3 - game console and media server (could stream avi/mpeg4 and more formats, including unusual audio codecs) al in one. Now you can't even play mp3's (I know they are not so popular any more, but still)

Paying for ps+ - well now when we all agreed to pay this will never be removed. Not that we were given a choice anyway:mad:

I have to hand it to Sony with PS+. Most people would be totally against a subscription service for games but thats probably where the industry is heading and Sony has managed to introduce one stealthily with PS+ with no consumer backlash whatsoever. Even if there's customer rights issues that need to be resolved (you aren't getting those games free, you are renting them) you ca't argue against it being great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Based on the smuggness of Sony for the PS3 launch. It's hard to remember now since it was 10 years ago but Sony expected to walk into the console generation without even trying and gain a majority of sales, it's what they did for the PS2 (which compared to the Dreamcast was awful until third parties and not Sony took up the slack). The smuggness worked there but they had a much stronger competitor for the PS3.

Umm you said Sony haven't been this smug since the PS2, which means you think they are very smug right now. I ask you why you think this and you start talking about the PS3 ten years ago. :confused:

They have little else because they've released The Order and Bloodborne this year when MS hasn't released anything. Sony stagger their releases; MS focus almost entirely on the holiday season.

What I said was Sony succeeded with the PS2 despite being smug about it and not really doing anything to deserve it. They went into the PS3 generation thinking they could just do the same again and it backfired. I think Sony at the moment are getting into that same mindframe again especially with the One and WiiU not being any competition. I just feel they are getting complacent where they (rightly) believe the PS4 will succeed with very little drive from them to push it to succeed.

Also this isn't a MS vs Sony thing. MS I'd argue that at the moment the One actually had better exclusives that the PS4 until bloodbourne came out but they are shooting themselves in the foot releasing them on PC (although I'm not complaining, it saves me 400 euro on a new console). It still doesn't excuse a poor performance from Sony.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Man, I have absolutely no idea what your point is?

If sony, in your opinion, aren't doing enough (compared to who or what?) and are still cleaning up then what does that say about everyone else? Are the others standing up to show what they can do better? I know MS are updating their controller to match the ds4, nintendo are making great games but seem to be largely irrelevant to the masses and seem to be doing zilch to change that perception.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few things:

I don't think either the game makers, the platform holders or the gaming community have quite come to terms with just how long games take to make these days. All these big name blockbusters are huge financial and time commitments, and look at the endless delays these days. People are demanding more from their games, and that means the flagship titles are taking longer and longer to produce. The major efforts by first party studios in particular are be slow off the mark (especially with their next gen debuts), and likely supplemented by DLC and remasters in the lengthy gaps between releases.

Which also means Sony and third parties' responses to the success of the PS4 will not be an overnight thing. It will be a gradual one, because even if it has been clear for a year now that PS4 is the big winner this gen, that's actually going to take years to discernibly impact on the release schedule of the console. A big install base is probably going to be more beneficial to the PS4 in 2017 than it will be this year - even if a game was put into development last summer on the back of a revised business plan, could be another year before it's ready to be shown off. As disappointing as it is, some patience will be required.

I'd also raise a flag concerning using E3 as a barometer of success. From my perspective anyway the show is no longer an effective way to become aware of the titles I'm really interested in - many simply don't benefit from a presentation at a high profile, expensive and bombastic press conference, bar maybe a fleeting appearance on a sizzle reel. Fair to say Japanese RPGs, mid-tier oddities or experimental Western efforts aren't the stuff of stage shows anymore. One of the main things that makes me enthusiastic about the future of PS4, even as a PC owner, is the strong support from independent developers, something that is already manifesting itself when one takes a look at the digital store - and that's before some of the truly ambitious efforts like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky make their appearances.

And hey, there's always that trump card: when Sony do eventually show that Last Guardian trailer at E3 2017, there's a generation well and truly won :D

Man, I have absolutely no idea what your point is?

If sony, in your opinion, aren't doing enough (compared to who or what?) and are still cleaning up then what does that say about everyone else? Are the others standing up to show what they can do better? I know MS are updating their controller to match the ds4, nintendo are making great games but seem to be largely irrelevant to the masses and seem to be doing zilch to change that perception.

True, but some games other than Bloodbourne would be nice :) I finding this launch window is stretching on for a very long time probably due to the reasons mentioned by johnny ultimate. I feel other than bloodbourne a lot the the stuff that has come out will be forgotten about in a year or two like most launch window titles (I'm focusing on exclusives here mostly but even most third party games would fall into this with some exceptions like Witcher 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I'm not too worried about what Sony have in store for us in the near future given the number of first parties working on PS4 games. I wouldn't worry about them getting too smug given the fact much of Sony's efforts are now towards making the brand as successful as possible (so it can be more profitable of course, but we still win). In terms of this Christmas, I feel I have enough to tide me over with MGS but I can see why people might be frustrated with the initial slow period.

Ya I could see that too.

For me it's been pretty great as I've all the indie games to play on my vita (along with the odd few on PS4) and then all the third party and first party games for PS4 since I don't have a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This Christmas season you will have the usuals, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Black Ops 3. There will also most likely be Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront.

To keep us going until then we have Batman and MGS5. Plus what ever comes out of E3 next week third party wise.

I haven't even started on The Witcher 3 yet or got around to finishing Dragon Age. Have to start Bloodborne that I picked up in the flash sale too. Some much gaming so little time. First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Does anyone know how to get the free dlc for the witcher 3. I cannot find it in the store

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

padair wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get the free dlc for the witcher 3. I cannot find it in the store

online store link

on the console select the game in the store and scroll down to bottom of page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

online store link

on the console select the game in the store and scroll down to bottom of page

Cheers. Got it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I like the ps4 box art, but that's it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement