Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

NIMAN wrote: »
    Buying 1st ever console in the house this Xmas, and am curious as to how big the games actually are in terms of GB on the HDD.

The PS4 is a 500gb model, and to be honest I think the young lad will be happy enough with probably FIFA18 and Minecraft on it, but I could see the likes of Little Big Planet, Farm Simulator and maybe a few of the Lego titles going on it in the future.

Anyone able to tell me the GB roughly of this list?

I know I can always upgrade the HDD, but wouldn't want to be doing that while its in warranty.

Edit: just found this, which lists all games and their HDD size
    https://www.finder.com/complete-list-playstation-4-install-sizes-460-titles

Most surprising thing was that Minecraft was only 0.23gb.

You can add on an external drive now, which is really useful.

Had a very bad round in Everybody's Golf. Nothing as bad as coming twenty-threeth...

433276.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

PS Plus open weekend from Wednesday 15th to Monday 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

General question about the PS4 from someone who has bought one for Xmas, and who hasn't played a computer game himself in close to 30 years!

Can you take a lend of a friends game and play it on your PS4?
    I am guessing when I buya new game and put it in the drive, it loads on to the HDD. And you then play it from there?

If thats right, whats to stop everyone lending out their games to friends? Or have Sony something in place to stop this, such as having to have the original disc in the drive to play it?

NIMAN wrote:
    If thats right, whats to stop everyone lending out their games to friends? Or have Sony something in place to stop this, such as having to have the original disc in the drive to play it?

Without the disc the game won't play. It installs to HDD to increase loading and then uses disc to authenticate the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

General question about the PS4 from someone who has bought one for Xmas, and who hasn't played a computer game himself in close to 30 years!

I am guessing when I buya new game and put it in the drive, it loads on to the HDD. And you then play it from there?

Not to be captain obvious but of course they have put something in place to stop that, the Disc needs to be in the cd-drive to authenticate the game. Without the disc, game won't launch. It doesn't read the disc when in game but won't start without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

If it's a disc game then yeah you can play away as long as the disc is in the console, and all games must install on the HDD. There's no problem getting a loan of a friends disc and playing it on yours, Xbox tried to make their discs only work on one console and they got a serious amount of **** for it including Sony themselves taking the piss out of them :pac:

Great folks, thanks.

So the wee boy will be able to borrow his mates games, as long as they let him have a loan of the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hmvgamecredit made it painless and I received another top up to replace the one which didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone interested in that playlink (use you phone as a controller) quiz game, It's made by Sony which is a bit odd as I'd thought they'd have used the Buzz name if they could.

Might be a nice christmas games.

EDIT:

Knowledge is Power, don't think there's a retail version only on the PSN store for €20

https://store.playstation.com/en-ie/product/EP9000-CUSA06044_00-KIP0000PREORDPSN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone interested in that playlink (use you phone as a controller) quiz game, It's made by Sony which is a bit odd as I'd thought they'd have used the Buzz name if they could.

Might be a nice christmas games.

Looks interesting! Might finally get to retire Buzz on the PS3, it's always a hit at christmas!

Another general question popped into my head.

So for Xmas morning, would there be anything.id need to do to prep the PS4 for use? Or can I just plug it in that morning and load whatever game to it?

I don't want to find out I have hours of prep work/downloading to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So for Xmas morning, would there be anything.id need to do to prep the PS4 for use? Or can I just plug it in that morning and load whatever game to it?

Definitely connect it to the Internet and get all the updates done, takes ages

My broadband speed is 4meg!

Am I going to be a long time!

My broadband speed is 4meg!

Am I going to be a long time!

You'd be better off to start now so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

You'll only need updates if you're going to play online but you should probably get them anyway in case they fix something game breaking. Download speeds on Christmas day are bound to be awful too.

You'll need to set up a PSN account if you don't already have one.

Does everyone need a PSN account?

Even if you plan never to go online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I think so.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    You'd be better off to start now so :pac:

It would be funny if not so true

It would be funny if not so true

If you don't plan to go online then you should be okay to just throw in the disc and play away. If you do plan on connecting to PSN to download games, DLC or updates then you'd be better to start as soon as you can. I wouldn't worry too much about your download speed just put your PS into rest mode and let them download over night, downloads are a lot faster in rest mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Accounts creation is free and you're better off doing so.

Going online requires a PlayStation plus membership for most games, if one account has it on the PS4 then all can use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Do PSN codes expire??

Re: the controllers, camera etc on PS4

What batteries do they all use? AA or AAA?
    And how many per device?

Want to make sure I have enough rechargeables sorted for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And how many per device?

Controllers don't use regular batteries. The batteries are built into the controller and are charged via a USB cable that plugs into the PS4. Cable comes with the controller too so you're all set.

I don't think you need batteries for the camera or anything else either, pretty sure stuff like that works from being plugged into the PS4. Can't answer for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

And how many per device?

Penn wrote: »
    Controllers don't use regular batteries. The batteries are built into the controller and are charged via a USB cable that plugs into the PS4. Cable comes with the controller too so you're all set.

I don't think you need batteries for the camera or anything else either, pretty sure stuff like that works from being plugged into the PS4. Can't answer for sure though.

Yeah, camera gets it's power direct from the console. No need to worry about multiple cables or spare batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Just a tip for anyone getting vr for Christmas for kids etc, might be no harm to power it up a day or two early to download any updates for the games/hardware and to charge up the move controllers set up camera etc, so when they open it all up xmas morning it's good to go.

My move controllers were dead when I opened them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Just a tip for anyone getting vr for Christmas for kids etc, might be no harm to power it up a day or two early to download any updates for the games/hardware and to charge up the move controllers set up camera etc, so when they open it all up xmas morning it's good to go.

My move controllers were dead when I opened them.

That's not Christmas. Christmas is excitedly opening up a nicely wrapped box, realising it's a brand new console with all the bells & whistles accoutrements (had to google the spelling on that one), plugging everything in and then sitting with the rest of the family while waiting for everything to charge and download.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What’s the process like for trading in a PS4 into CEX? I know you need to bring in the mains plug and controller but do they look for anything else on top of that like the HDMI and the headset that came with it?

Also, do they match the trade in price from the website?

martyos121 wrote: »
    What’s the process like for trading in a PS4 into CEX? I know you need to bring in the mains plug and controller but do they look for anything else on top of that like the HDMI and the headset that came with it?

Also, do they match the trade in price from the website?

They need all wires that came with the console, the box isn't needed but they give you a few extra euro if you have it.

It depends on what condition the console is in, I sold one before and it was in near perfect condition but they gave me €6 less saying it wasn't grade A or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Think the prices vary from store to store. Probably based on demand but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too far off the prices advertised on the website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement