Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Wouldn't crossplay on a shooter between console and kb+m be an exercise in futility or am I missing something?
    i would have thought console players would be at a massive disadvantage myself. surely cross play between xbox and ps4 would have made more sense????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Wouldn't crossplay on a shooter between console and kb+m be an exercise in futility or am I missing something?

If you could Crossplay on PS4, X-box and PC it would give users a chance of getting a full lobby of Lawbreakers players together

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If you could Crossplay on PS4, X-box and PC it would give users a chance of getting a full lobby of Lawbreakers players together

It's difficult to think of a more toxic environment. It would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Xenji wrote: »
    It is cross play with PC, just not Xbox which could be due to Tim Sweeney.

Fortnite shouldn’t be crossplay for PC as PC players will always have the advantage for doing the building using their keyboards and mouse plus better framerate you should be able to disable crossplay with PC players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

This is the silly part of the whole thing. If I was on PS4 I wouldn't want to cross play with PC players. I'd be destroyed.

I am guessing the vast majority of the playerbase won't bother opting into cross platform with PC players.

It seems to be a pointless exercise by Sony just to jab at their competitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Damn. Days Gone delayed until 2019

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/ps4-exclusive-days-gone-delayed-to-2019-sony-confirms

Such a shame. Was really looking forward to it. Still though, it has the potential to be an amazing game so hopefully the delay does naught but help ensure it lives up to its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

My young lad plays fortnite on my PS4 on my account using a keyboard and mouse. He knows he has an advantage and uses it. So crossplay banning won't stop this. He is able to spot the keyboard players due to reaction time on turning and accuracy so there are quite a few doing the same.

Either that or it's entirely in keeping with what they do with every single other game. As well as following standard industry practices of doing exclusivity deals with developers and publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    Damn. Days Gone delayed until 2019

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/ps4-exclusive-days-gone-delayed-to-2019-sony-confirms

Such a shame. Was really looking forward to it. Still though, it has the potential to be an amazing game so hopefully the delay does naught but help ensure it lives up to its potential.

I bought my PS4 to be able to play this. Still though I got Bloodborne and Horizon out of so far :pac:

Damien360 wrote: »
    My young lad plays fortnite on my PS4 on my account using a keyboard and mouse. He knows he has an advantage and uses it. So crossplay banning won't stop this. He is able to spot the keyboard players due to reaction time on turning and accuracy so there are quite a few doing the same.

Can your account be banned?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

Can your account be banned?

I wasn't aware there is a ban for using keyboards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You know something is not right when the PS4 Megathread has 4 pages of new posts since the day before...and you also know exactly whats caused it:P

Im amazed at the success of fortnite,not that i think its a bad game but its a bit average for me. Its the artstyle/presentation i reckon,i just cant see past it,much prefer PUBG. Having played a lot of Arma 3 it probably has made me appreciate are more realistic asthetic.

Have PUBG on PC,would love to see it come to PS4 some day.

Penn wrote: »
    Either that or it's entirely in keeping with what they do with every single other game. As well as following standard industry practices of doing exclusivity deals with developers and publishers.

Its highly irregular for a game that is already launched on both Xbox and PS4. Paying to kill off functionality on a competitors side of things is very petty.

The whole thing is a bit silly.

I thought it was against the Terms of Service?

TitianGerm wrote: »

I thought it was against the Terms of Service?

I'm told it's fully supported complete with bindings (his words) for the keyboard within the game

Clearly Microsoft are against the entire thing:

A tweet means nothing, it's well documented that the guy behind Fortnite dislikes MS. Maybe he had no interest in letting MS play.
    I'm all for Sony trimming the fat (I think PS+ was the only thing keeping the Vita from going completely dead). But look at it another way... if I own a PS3, and I have downloaded a few PS+ titles, I need to keep paying my PS+ subscription if I want to keep playing those games. With no new games coming down the line, seems like a raw deal.

We have no idea how they are going to work it, I expect they will provide more information closer to the time. Could be something like Steam's plan to make all games available to those who bought them.
    that is your problem... sarcastic to the end... have a discussion without baiting or looking for a reaction, with that this conversation between us ends.... no thanks

Not looking for either, you are making ridiculous statements without knowing how it will change. Unless you can see a year onto the future then it's a lil unfair to attack Sony just yet.

How come you never have an issue or attack MS when they sign exclusivity deals? Surely MS paying millions for the last Tomb Raider is far worse than this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Any more baiting, personal snipes or passive aggressive posts will be carded from here on out. Same few posters keep popping up when these threads turn hostile, and we’re keeping a very close eye on that.

How come you never have an issue or attack MS when they sign exclusivity deals? Surely MS paying millions for the last Tomb Raider is far worse than this.

My criticism of Xbox is that they play things too safe with exclusives. However even that is beginning to change. There just really isn't anything else to criticise at the moment.

Just to fill you in on the Tomb Raider scenario. Xbox making an exclusivity deal with Crystal Dynamics secured the game would make it onto PS4. Crystal Dynamics didn't have the funds to complete the project.

Crystal Dynamics were experiencing financial difficulty and Xbox needed an exclusive. So they made a deal.

Just to fill you in on the Tomb Raider scenario. Xbox making an exclusivity deal with Crystal Dynamics secured the game would make it onto PS4. Crystal Dynamics didn't have the funds to complete the project.

Well done, we can all read the various reports, doesn't change the fact that MS bought exclusivity. I guess though that when they do it, it's our of the goodness of their hearts unlike evil Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Out of curiosity, does the same thing happen over on the Xbox forum? A bunch of people that only hop on that forum when they smell bad news in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well done, we can all read the various reports, doesn't change the fact that MS bought exclusivity. I guess though that when they do it, it's our of the goodness of their hearts unlike evil Sony.

Just add to ignore.

Just trying to deny their competitor. They know Xbox is very pro multiplatform.

Paying for Xbox to be excluded from cross platform functionality is a bit silly really and anti gamer.

They were making the game cross platform including Xbox until they announced their partnership with Sony yesterday.

Paying to exclude functionality to another platform for a title already launched is quite scummy.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/xbox-cross-platform-fortnite
    Hey Fortnite Community,

We’re happy to announce today that in partnership with our friends at Microsoft, Fortnite will feature cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-purchase, between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and (in the next few months) Android.

Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. We’ve been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fortnite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.

With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends. And, as always, cross-play is opt in.

As we shared a few days ago, starting Monday you can sign-up for the Fortnite Invite Event on iOS. On phones and tablets, Fortnite is the same 100-player game you know from Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac. Same gameplay, same map, same content, same weekly updates.

See you on the Battle Bus,

Fortnite Team

Simply all a misunderstanding it seems. Sony have not paid to exclude functionality from their competitors or anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fantastic to hear that.

At least it proves Sony not being anti consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Why is there still not cross-play between XB1 & PS4, Microsoft definitely seem keen?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Why is there still not cross-play between XB1 & PS4, Microsoft definitely seem keen?

I'm very curious what Nintendo have to say about all this. If the rumoured Switch port arrives, and they allow cross play to Xbox and not PlayStation (or vice versa), we'll know who doesn't like sharing their toys.

Anyway, PlayStation stuff then.... forgot I had bought Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice over Christmas. Played for a bit last night, then remembered I read it was best played with headphones. Completely changed the experience.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Microsoft seem keen because it's in their best interests, but it's not in Sony's.

One of the main deciding factors in buying a console is determining which console your friends have so you can play online with then (especially when the consoles are so similar in most regards). Sony have sold a lot more consoles this gen than MS, which means people are more likely to buy the PS4 as they're more likely to have friends who have the PS4.

If Sony allowed crossplay between Xbox and PS4, all they'd be doing is helping MS and giving up one of the main reasons to own a PS4. It also means that if you do it for one game, gamers would then want you to do it for all games going forward, including when it comes to next gen. If you're trying to sell the PS5 to people including trying to get Xbox owners interested in it, why would they bother if they can still play with their PS-owning mates on their Xbox console?

It also becomes troublesome when it comes to things like terms and conditions for online play. If a PS4 player is being targeted or harassed or abused by an xbox player in an online game, Sony would have no power to take action against them. The whole infrastructure around parties and messaging and game invitations etc would have to be completely reworked, and Sony have no reason to engage in doing so when they already have the larger player base.

Add to that it would then negate having exclusivity deals with devs for additional content, because if Sony paid for extra maps/weapons/characters in a game, how would that then work online with cross play if XBox users didn't have them?

Although gamers may want it and devs be interested in allowing it in some cases, it would be a bad business decision on Sony's part to allow it. As an Xbox owner, why consider buying a PS4 to play Fortnite et al with your PS4-owning mates when you can play with them on your Xbox? Why buy a PS5 if the next Xbox console has some additional features and you'll still be able to play against your PS5-owning mates anyway? Is it then worth it to pick up a PS4 even just to be your secondary console to play a few of the exclusives when that becomes the only reason to then buy one?

It's not anti-consumer to not give a huge benefit to your competitor and give up one of your biggest advantages and selling points. If it were considered anti-consumer, then all business decisions from having first-party exclusives, pay for exclusive content, or even offer games or dlc cheaper could all be considered anti-consumer.

Very well thought out post Penn

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gravity rush 2 worth a punt for 12 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Gravity rush 2 worth a punt for 12 euro?

Very much so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very much so.

Might nab it so,Kinda surprised its gone that low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement