Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Any good ps4 deals at the moment ?
    Thanks to anyone who bothers to reply.

Amazon are doing a slim 500gb console only for 250 quid
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B013ULMFEE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527108106&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ps4+console&dpPl=1&dpID=31ZfQYiM9lL&ref=plSrch

Might be worth holding off til after E3 though, there could be price drops announced

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Can anyone provide advice on buying first console for an 8 year old?

We are thinking PS4 - although open to alternatives (we've had some suggestions that PS4 and related software might be too grown up..)

I see there is a big difference between PS4 1TB (€440) and PS4 500GB (€340) what would be the difference in functionality?

To begin with we'd be looking at getting FIFA, then if Communion monies get that far - maybe a Mariokart - or Fortnight seems to be the talk of the schoolyard.

Have not been part of this scene at all before now, so would appreciate any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

patg wrote: »
    Can anyone provide advice on buying first console for an 8 year old?

We are thinking PS4 - although open to alternatives (we've had some suggestions that PS4 and related software might be too grown up..)

I see there is a big difference between PS4 1TB (€440) and PS4 500GB (€340) what would be the difference in functionality?

To begin with we'd be looking at getting FIFA, then if Communion monies get that far - maybe a Mariokart - or Fortnight seems to be the talk of the schoolyard.

Have not been part of this scene at all before now, so would appreciate any pointers.

I'd suggest a Switch for the kid, especially if they don't have their own TV as they can play in handheld mode or dock the Switch when the main TV is free. You'll have plenty of child friendly games on it, such as Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Kirby and Donkey Kong.

However saying that I'd put one big proviso on the above.. what console do their friends have? No point getting a PS4/Switch of they want to play online with friends when all the friends have Xboxes.

Edit: Fortnight is not on Switch yet but there were leaks recently which indicated it was coming at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I think that 1TB model might be a PS4 pro which is a slightly better version but only really noticeable if you have a 4k or HDR TV. Do those prices include games? Gamestop have the Pro for €400 and the regular PS4 for 270

PRO https://www.gamestop.ie/Playstation%204/Games/58867
    Regular https://www.gamestop.ie/Playstation%204/Games/44436

Mario is only on Nintendo.

The first thing you should find out is what do his friends have and get him the same. Not only for online play in the future but for borrowing and swapping games. If they don't have anything yet a Nintendo Switch might be the better option. It has more kid friendly games and most of the big releases too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I'd recommend getting the console that his friends have, as he'll want to play with them online.

Fortnite Battle Royale is "free to play", (100 people drop into a map and last one/team alive is the winner) . You can team up with your friends so having the same console will be needed for that.
    Same goes for FIFA, he'll need to have the same console as his friends to play together.

Also, to play online you'll need a PS+ subscription for a PS4 or Xbox Live Gold for Xbox One. That is an extra cost to be aware of.

Thank you very much to the three posters above for your advice.

Understood it seems we need to bear in mind what all his buddies are playing; and after that maybe consider the Switch as the most child friendly console.

One question though - would you anticipate that the Switch would stay "current" as long as the others - or at the very least not get outdated too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Understood it seems we need to bear in mind what all his buddies are playing; and after that maybe consider the Switch as the most child friendly console.

One question though - would you anticipate that the Switch would stay "current" as long as the others - or at the very least not get outdated too quickly.

its by far the newest of the three so id imagine will be around for the next 5 years at least, ps5 is due in 3.

PlayStation won't be releasing a new console for three years. I'd guess Nintendo will be a little longer.

If you decide on a Switch the Game Collection have them reduced by £20 today to £240, this works out around €275 using Revolut, it's around €329 in Ireland.

https://www.thegamecollection.net/nintendo-switch-console-neon-red-and-neon-blue-switch/

Smyth's toys are also running a €20 off promotion when you spend €100 or more on Nintendo products. If you got Splatoon and Mario Kart it will cost you €84, and then you could get Fifa 17, Mario Odyssey and Rayman for €85 (both after the discount).

Obviously look at the games and accessories and try get what suits best for as little over €100 each time to save €20 on each "bundle", I just threw the above ones together so you could see what sort of savings are available.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/c/SM060452

Thank you very much to all for the above pieces of advice.

We've taken the plunge and based on trying to get what all the buddies have - we've gone for the X-Box.
    I'm sure once we have FIFA up and running I'll have a happy little man on my hands.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much to all for the above pieces of advice.

We've taken the plunge and based on trying to get what all the buddies have - we've gone for the X-Box.
    I'm sure once we have FIFA up and running I'll have a happy little man on my hands.

Post over in the Xbox Forum if you've any questions.

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/522/1

EA Access might be worth looking at. €25 for 12 months with lots of games to download and play once you keep an active subscription.

Get Xbox Live from CD Keys as it'll work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Why is there no Fight Night game available for PS4?. Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Joshua J wrote: »

There has not been a new Fight Night in nearly 8 years, EA switched its team to UFC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Just took a mad notion to have a career mode in Fight Night today. Such good games not even available on Playstation Now. Had a look at an emulator but hate them yokes always a pain to setup.

Just took a mad notion to have a career mode in Fight Night today. Such good games not even available on Playstation Now. Had a look at an emulator but hate them yokes always a pain to setup.

If you have an Xbox One also, Fight Night Champions went backwards compatible a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd also love a Fight Night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads, great competition on PlayStation.Com and the best part, Ireland can enter.

Win a limited edition PS4, VR kit, ps plus and credit. One winner from every country that enters. Runner up prizes as well

Very interesting way to win. Go to bottom of this link and register for comp.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/campaigns/days-of-play/

Then, earn a trophy from the same or multiple games, 1 a day from 8th June to 18th. So by the end you'll haven't unlocked 11 new trophies. Time to download since ps plus indie games and unlock an easy trophy every day!
    Days of Play competition

Calling all trophy hunters – this is your chance to win big
    As part of the Days of Play sale, we’re giving you the chance to win a huge haul of PlayStation prizes that includes everything you need to enjoy 365 Days of Play. All you need to do is unlock one PS4 trophy every day between 8th and 18th June – that’s 11 in total – and you’ll be in with a chance of winning:

A Limited Edition Days of Play 500GB PlayStation 4
    A PlayStation VR Starter Pack (which includes a PS VR Headset, PlayStation Camera, and a PlayStation Store voucher code for PlayStation VR Worlds)
    12-month PlayStation Plus membership
    12 x £70 PlayStation Store credit - delivered in 12 monthly instalments
    They can be any trophies you like from any PS4 game(s) you own, but you must register to take part before 10:00AM BST on the 8th June. Please be aware, in order for us to track your progress, you’ll need to make sure your PS4 console is connected to PlayStation Network by 18th June 23:59 BST.

There’ll be one winner for every country taking part and three lucky runners-up who’ll get a 12-month subscription to PlayStation Plus.

The hunt begins on 8th June – register now to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lads, great competition on PlayStation.Com and the best part, Ireland can enter.

Win a limited edition PS4, VR kit, ps plus and credit. One winner from every country that enters. Runner up prizes as well

Very interesting way to win. Go to bottom of this link and register for comp.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/campaigns/days-of-play/

Then, earn a trophy from the same or multiple games, 1 a day from 8th June to 18th. So by the end you'll haven't unlocked 11 new trophies. Time to download since ps plus indie games and unlock an easy trophy every day!
    That's a savage prize especially the monthly €70 credit.Telltale games and indies are perfect for this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just not gonna sell, doesn't matter how good it would be.

It's all UFC now in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Zero-Cool wrote:

Won't let me enter. Keeps saying I'm putting my date of birth in wrong but I'm not. Have tried several browsers and on the PS4 itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Sparko

superg wrote: »
    Won't let me enter. Keeps saying I'm putting my date of birth in wrong but I'm not. Have tried several browsers and on the PS4 itself.

Same here.

Sparko wrote: »
    Same here.

Weird, registered fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Turns out the labels for the dates are wrong. It says : DD MM YYYY, where it should be MM DD YYYY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Benzino wrote:
    Turns out the labels for the dates are wrong. It says : DD MM YYYY, where it should be MM DD YYYY.

Yup just came here to mention that. Tried it again the other way around and it worked.

Sony making new game announcements everyday on the run up to E3
    Sony’s counting down to E3 2018 by making a new announcement every single day starting from 6th June running right the way through to the organisation’s press conference on 11th June. The appetisers will air live at 8AM PT/4PM BST every day, and will span everything from a first-party release date through to brand new games.

Here’s the schedule in its entirety:
    • 6th June: New PS4 Game With PSVR Support
    • 7th June: Release Date for an Upcoming Worldwide Studios Title
    • 8th June: New PS4 Game
    • 9th June: New PSVR Game
    • 10th June: An Eagerly Anticipated Game Comes to PSVR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new PSVR games are.

Anyone able to get a ps+ trial on their US PSN account? I see a game dirt cheap on us psn if you have ps plus. I can't log into my us PSN account, forgot a lot of the info so wanted to check if it's possible to get a ps plus trial before setting up a new account.

Anyone able to get a ps+ trial on their US PSN account? I see a game dirt cheap on us psn if you have ps plus. I can't log into my us PSN account, forgot a lot of the info so wanted to check if it's possible to get a ps plus trial before setting up a new account.

Just checked mine and you can get free 14 day trial

Just checked mine and you can get free 14 day trial

Sweet thanks, I thought you'd have to enter a us credit card.

• Advertisement

Sweet thanks, I thought you'd have to enter a us credit card.

Well I just saw the option for trial didn’t activate it so not sure. Best bet is to check the playstation plus subreddit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement