Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

PSN ID name changing might finally be coming:

http://thelootgaming.com/exclusive-sony-planning-on-introducing-cross-play-name-changes-and-ps-now-downloads-this-fiscal-year/
    The third and final part is that PSN ID name changes are finally going to come this year. Apparently, the framework will be included in the September update but it will not be enabled until the PlayStation Experience 2018 in December. The reason personalities haven’t been speaking about this feature recently is because they are aware it’s being planned. Shawn Layden has previously indicated he’d love to stop answering name change questions be the time PSX 2018 arrives. Again, this is preparation for the next console generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

As somebody who hasn't got the creativity to come up with an interesting username, and just use my own actual name, I assume that this is most welcome for the SpoogeLover69 types out there? :D

I bet they'll charge a 5er to do it also :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I bet they'll charge a 5er to do it also :)

You know, I'd be fine with that.

But I'm worried that it will only be for next-gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

But your account is the same on all systems. I doubt they'd let you change your display name on PS5 but have you keep your old one on PS3/4/P/Vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Charging a fee ensures that people are serious about the change and not just trying to change their username to prank a friend or some other bollix :)

When you say next gen, you mean ps5? Do you think they'd announce in 2018 something that won't be used until roughly late 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't see that happening. Ultimately it's your PSN name, and your PSN account is carried through all PS systems. If they allow you to change your username on one, it'd have to carry through to all PS consoles.

I'd also have no issue with them charging to change the name. I know when I did change my XBL gamertag yonks ago I think it cost 800 MS points (whatever that is in real money). Don't know if MS still charge for it but I think you'd need to to stop people abusing the system, even if it's a relatively small fee, or time restriction (eg. only allowed one change every 3 months).

The third and final part is that PSN ID name changes are finally going to come this year. ..... Shawn Layden has previously indicated he’d love to stop answering name change questions be the time PSX 2018 arrives. Again, this is preparation for the next console generation.

My fault, I read that last line in a rush.

Penn wrote: »
    Can't see that happening. Ultimately it's your PSN name, and your PSN account is carried through all PS systems. If they allow you to change your username on one, it'd have to carry through to all PS consoles.

I'd also have no issue with them charging to change the name. I know when I did change my XBL gamertag yonks ago I think it cost 800 MS points (whatever that is in real money). Don't know if MS still charge for it but I think you'd need to to stop people abusing the system, even if it's a relatively small fee, or time restriction (eg. only allowed one change every 3 months).

I would assume they may offer the first name change free and then charge for others so as to ensure that it doesn't become an issue with people being dicks to each other. I think that before they started limiting name changes on FIFA there was a huge issue with people getting banned for offensive club names because friends thought it was hilarious to change a friends name to gasdajews and so on. I know that a friend of mine nearly lost his account because his cousin thought "killdanigg3rs" was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Quick question on remote play, I'm sure this has been asked already but can't seem to find a solution.

Can't seem to get it to work and I'm following instructions exactly. I connect my controller to my phone, which works no problem. Then I open the remote play app and the PS4 screen comes up but then when I try to use the controller it won't work, even though the light is still on and it's still connected to my phone as it works when I back out of remote play. It only let's me use it using phone screen as controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Waiting for a name change facility for years,instead of EoinHef my tag is eoinhef,i just want to make two letters capital letters and ill be happy.

I would have a problem if they charged you the first time. But it is $ony so id imagine thats exactly what will happen. All they would have to do is make it one name change every 6 months to stop abuse.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Waiting for a name change facility for years,instead of EoinHef my tag is eoinhef,i just want to make two letters capital letters and ill be happy.

I would have a problem if they charged you the first time. But it is $ony so id imagine thats exactly what will happen. All they would have to do is make it one name change every 6 months to stop abuse.

MS charged me when I wanted to change my name a number of years back so it's not like Sony are the only ones. I think a one time name change and then pay to change it a second time but have a cap on total number of changes you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'll change it to this but sell it to you for €100. :pac: I've never had a problem with my psn name. There was a guy called Green Cobra I was pretty envious of when I played COD but think I'd have an identity crisis if I changed it now.

MS charged me when I wanted to change my name a number of years back so it's not like Sony are the only ones. I think a one time name change and then pay to change it a second time but have a cap on total number of changes you can do.

So what?

I dont care what MS did,im only interested in what sony are going to do. Using MS's actions to justify Sony's actions is not an srguement at all. Your just doing your usual schilling for Sony.

Thsts something that you just cant seem to grasp.

Unless of course you think two wrongs make a right

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'll change it to this but sell it to you for €100. :pac: I've never had a problem with my psn name. There was a guy called Green Cobra I was pretty envious of when I played COD but think I'd have an identity crisis if I changed it now.

But you could really do with some capitals to by the looks of it:D

EoinHef wrote:
    I dont care what MS did,im only interested in what sony are going to do. Using MS's actions to justify Sony's actions is not an srguement at all. Your just doing your usual schilling for Sony.

I'm not justifying, merely saying that based on what previous platform holders did charging for it is most likely what will happen though then again the way people are talking about MS it appears that years of awful anti consumer actions are being forgotten. Heaven forbid that someone would point out that Sony aren't the only shitty corporation out there, but hey I must be a shill because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon like sad sacks like yourself. Maybe I can try and get some likes by attacking anyone who doesn't agree with me as you do, after all pointing out ****ty business practices by other companies is a shill. Maybe crack a dictionary and look up the definition of the word, I couldn't care less if you buy Sony or MS or whatever, I just don't see the need to attack a company for something they haven't done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jesus, Darko… do you ever take a break from defending Sony and being offended on their behalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

My name is Megastar78 which always looks slightly ironic when I repeatedly appear as the biggest loser at the bottom of the table in multiplayer games

Jesus, Darko… do you ever take a break from defending Sony and being offended on their behalf?

Look at you, fishing for the likes. Go you, how dare someone not jump on the bandwagon like every other sad offended gamer out there.

Maybe read my posts rather than just try to get a couple of likes. I've never defended or been offended on Sony's behalf and think that they are a pretty shitty company with a number anti-consumer practices, same as I think that MS, Nintendo, Epic, Activation and every other corporation is out just to make as much money as possible and would screw over their user base in a heartbeat. There was a time when people on boards actually discussed things but now there is this sad pack mentality where it's the same usual posters fishing for likes for each other as rather then look at any alternate views they jump to conclusions.

• Jesus Christ this thread aswell

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ this thread aswell

Shocking that people are posting about PS4 stuff in a PS4 thread. Maybe contribute something yourself beyond one liners crying about what other users are discussing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So what?

Thsts something that you just cant seem to grasp.

Unless of course you think two wrongs make a right

Microsoft allow (or at least used to) your first GT change for free if you have picked one of their suggestions when setting up you account the first time around.

I think it's €10 for subsequent changes to stop people changing GTs after firing off a heap of abuse online, which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Blizzard you get one free name change anything after that you have to pay.

I'd imagine that will be the model.

Also I don't know why everyone's attacking darko, he's right on this what there competitors have done will have a. Assive bearing on what Sony do.

If Microsoft charged before then you can be absolutely certain Sony won't be free.

I'm not justifying, merely saying that based on what previous platform holders did charging for it is most likely what will happen though then again the way people are talking about MS it appears that years of awful anti consumer actions are being forgotten. Heaven forbid that someone would point out that Sony aren't the only shitty corporation out there, but hey I must be a shill because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon like sad sacks like yourself. Maybe I can try and get some likes by attacking anyone who doesn't agree with me as you do, after all pointing out ****ty business practices by other companies is a shill. Maybe crack a dictionary and look up the definition of the word, I couldn't care less if you buy Sony or MS or whatever, I just don't see the need to attack a company for something they haven't done.

Your argument boils down to "MS's did it before so nobody can criticise Sony if they do it"

Thats rubbish and a total strawman. Ill treat that argument as such and call it what it is.

Your argument boils down to "MS's did it before so nobody can criticise Sony if they do it"

Thats rubbish and a total strawman. Ill treat that argument as such and call it what it is.

Jesus Christ, read what I am saying. I am not saying that nobody can criticise Sony for doing it, merely pointing out that others have done it in the past so the most likely expectation is that we will pay for it. I am comparing like with like, both MS and Sony are shitty companies with anti-consumer policies.

Saying that another company is a money hungry machine is not shilling, it's pointing out a fact. And even then, until Sony actually announce that they are charging isn't it a little early to be criticising them for something they haven't even done.

The above is your first reply to me,if that quote is not using MS as justification for Sony potentially charging you from the off i dont know what is.

My reading is fine. Maybe get your head checked as constantly defending sony on the internet cannot be good for your blood pressure.

Not justifying it, merely pointing out facts and reasons why they may charge. But hey don't let facts get in the way of you taking something, misinterpreting it and attacking another user simply because they can see beyond a petty need to get a dig in

Maybe grow up and stop acting like a child who is unable to discuss something without resorting to insulting others just because they aren't attacking a company for something they've not done.

Not justifying it, merely pointing out facts and reasons why they may charge. But hey don't let facts get in the way of you taking something, misinterpreting it and attacking another user simply because they can see beyond a petty need to get a dig in

Maybe grow up and stop acting like a child who is unable to discuss something without resorting to insulting others just because they aren't attacking a company for something they've not done.

Now i know for sure,your delusional.

Re read our posts. First you call me a sad sack then question my literacy yet im the one throwing around insults.

Definitely get your head checked...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Darko, please, on behalf of the PS4 community. Stop, just stop.

It's embarrassing to read now.

The facts are Sony has let us down big time with Fortnite. Xbox and Nintendo are lapping it up currently and your "insight" into the industry and ToS do not change those facts.

You are not better informed than aa former employee high up the ranks of Sony and I'd wager his input on the matter (that it was money related) is far more informed than your vague assertions that Sony haven't done anything wrong.

We get it, you're on our side, so stop letting us down. The only way Sony will change is if we voice our concerns and call them out on their nonsense, not defend them blindly, which is exactly what you're doing.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote:
    Re read our posts. First you call me a sad sack then question my literacy yet im the one throwing around insults.

Woe is you, someone calls you on your bs and its defensive time. You criticised a company for something they've not done, Jesus bit bad as Sony are let's at least see what happens. You've deliberately misinterpreted my posts to try and paint me as something I'm not to suit an agenda.

Murseyless wrote:
    The facts are Sony has let us down big time with Fortnite. Xbox and Nintendo are lapping it up currently and your "insight" into the industry and ToS do not change those facts.

Non one said they hadn't, Sony royally messed this one up but Epic are just as much to blame. You cannot sign an anti consumer contract and then when it screws your player base up say not our problem. That is what so few people seem unwilling to grasp about this, Epic caused this and yes they had to to get the game onto the PS4 but if this was EA would in place of Epic would everyone be so willing to let them off the hook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement