Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wouldn't care if they pixelated the thing as long as they get the swinging right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

J. Marston wrote: »
    I wouldn't care if they pixelated the thing as long as they get the swinging right.

Yep, getting swinging right is the hard part. The last time I tried I never brought my car keys.

I'm about 4 hours in and I have no complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yep, getting swinging right is the hard part. The last time I tried I never brought my car keys.

Bravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

pcadhain wrote: »
    Then again, they're only screenshots from a damn youtube video. Ridiculous notion for anyone to post photos from a condensed vid and claim it's a downgrade from whats obviously an incomplete game. Best to avoid some over-entitled posters here and wait just 11 days.

Agreed. And considering that Insomniac will be found out very quickly if they're fibbing, I'd tend to take their confirmation of no downgrade as reliable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Agreed. And considering that Insomniac will be found out very quickly if they're fibbing, I'd tend to take their confirmation of no downgrade as reliable enough.

What did you think about this Tweet from one of the devs. It read like they have lessened the quality but don't consider it a downgrade. Very suspicious.

https://twitter.com/JamesStevenson/status/1033584958630031360

What did you think about this Tweet from one of the devs. It read like they have lessened the quality but don't consider it a downgrade. Very suspicious.

https://twitter.com/JamesStevenson/status/1033584958630031360

What do I read about one of the developers confirming that the suspected downgrade is not a downgrade.

Well, I believe its not a downgrade really.

What do I read about one of the developers confirming that the suspected downgrade is not a downgrade.

Well, I believe its not a downgrade really.

So its just a reduction in quality rather than a downgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I dunno why devs get involved in these sort of discussiona, most people online don't have a notion about the game dev process nor do they care, so it's pointless explaining anything to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Benzino wrote: »
    I dunno why devs get involved in these sort of discussiona, most people online don't have a notion about the game dev process nor do they care, so it's pointless explaining anything to them.

Yeah but then you get a bunch of dopes who make their own narrative, tell gaming sites who see it as beautiful click bait, investors get wind and get angry, someone gets highly offended by something and someone gets fired.

Plus, if you love something, sometimes you can't help defend it no matter how much you no it's pointless.

• Advertisement

So its just a reduction in quality rather than a downgrade?

I'd say read the whole thread and see how the dev confirms that the screenshot in question looks different because it was taken at a different time of day but what's the point?

You have an agenda and I'll leave you to it. If you want to believe ranting twitterers, paranoid fanboys and console war saddos over official and reliable sources and those who can be found out very quickly upon release of the game, be my guest.

I'd say read the whole thread and see how the dev confirms that the screenshot in question looks different because it was taken at a different time of day but what's the point?

I read that however after looking at one of the indoor shots the shadows are still in the same place indicating that the placement of the sun is still the same. Adding all the shots together and the devs response its clear there is a downgrade but is it a major downgrade I think not.
    You have an agenda and I'll leave you to it. If you want to believe ranting twitterers, paranoid fanboys and console war saddos over official and reliable sources and those who can be found out very quickly upon release of the game, be my guest.

As I stated a few posts back I am buying a PS4 Pro and the game regardless of the downgrade so there is no agenda there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: This discussion has gone on long enough. Drawing a line under it now as it seems clear it wasn’t started with any intention of provoking reasonable discussion. Any more posts on the topic, unless there is some significant development closer to release worthy of fresh discussion, will be deleted. Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Folks, hopefully this is the right thread, haven't posted on this forum as I'm a Xbox man myself. I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS4 for the exclusives with the plan to play any cross platform stuff on my One X.

Just looking for advice on what I should go for. Part of me says the regular PS4 will do as I'm only going to use it for exclusives but, coming from the X I'm wondering is the Pro the better option to enjoy the 4K goodness. Is there a significant difference between standard PS4 and Pro and is Pro overkill for my intended use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

skerry wrote: »
    Folks, hopefully this is the right thread, haven't posted on this forum as I'm a Xbox man myself. I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS4 for the exclusives with the plan to play any cross platform stuff on my One X.

Just looking for advice on what I should go for. Part of me says the regular PS4 will do as I'm only going to use it for exclusives but, coming from the X I'm wondering is the Pro the better option to enjoy the 4K goodness. Is there a significant difference between standard PS4 and Pro and is Pro overkill for my intended use ?

I recently upgraded and I'll be honest, there hasn't been an earth-shatteringly big difference for me between the Pro and the standard. Probably runs a bit smoother but nothing that really makes me go wow. The one caveat I'd have is that my 4k TV doesn't have HDR so there might be a marked improvement on that end of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

I recently upgraded and I'll be honest, there hasn't been an earth-shatteringly big difference for me between the Pro and the standard. Probably runs a bit smoother but nothing that really makes me go wow. The one caveat I'd have is that my 4k TV doesn't have HDR so there might be a marked improvement on that end of things.
    That's what I was thinking. Although I did notice a big difference when upgrading from the One S to the X.

Only want it for exclusives like GOW, Spiderman and Persona 5 and One X will be used for everything else.

I'm guessing Gamestop will put the upgrade offer on again at some stage and could always upgrade from PS4 to Pro then if that happened (although not guaranteed)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Lads where's the best place nowadays to buy PSN gift cards? Either online or in store will do, cheers.

That's what I was thinking. Although I did notice a big difference when upgrading from the One S to the X.

Only want it for exclusives like GOW, Spiderman and Persona 5 and One X will be used for everything else.

I'm guessing Gamestop will put the upgrade offer on again at some stage and could always upgrade from PS4 to Pro then if that happened (although not guaranteed)

Yeah, I got the Fortnite Pro offer which only cost me €100 with the standard PS4 and two of the lowest value games I could find to trade in. Traded in a couple more games in Cex to get the €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Lads where's the best place nowadays to buy PSN gift cards? Either online or in store will do, cheers.

I get mine in smyths. They usually have a section with a load of gaming cards on it and you should see the psn cards there.

I know nothing about the technicality of the HDR and the Pro, but what I can say that is as someone who used to play on a standard ps4 on a HD telly and due to a little bit of luck managed to win myself a high standard 4k Samsung with HDR and upgraded to a pro, I am very very impressed with the difference.

Spider-Man, for all the talk about downgrading looks and runs phenomenally well, Detroit: Being Human looks amazing and God of War is beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I'm the same, there's a significant improvement with the Pro in HDR / 4K. It doesn't change the game play but the visuals are a lot better, some games more so than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Redzer7 wrote: »

This place is great.

https://www.press-start.com/en/search/?cat%5B%5D=29&only_available_in=1&sort_by=popularity&query=&available_in=IE&type%5B%5D=Playstation

I know nothing about the technicality of the HDR and the Pro, but what I can say that is as someone who used to play on a standard ps4 on a HD telly and due to a little bit of luck managed to win myself a high standard 4k Samsung with HDR and upgraded to a pro, I am very very impressed with the difference.

Spider-Man, for all the talk about downgrading looks and runs phenomenally well, Detroit: Being Human looks amazing and God of War is beautiful.

How did you get your hands on Spiderman. Isn't that not out until the 7th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah I'm the same, there's a significant improvement with the Pro in HDR / 4K. It doesn't change the game play but the visuals are a lot better, some games more so than others.

The normal PS4 does HDR doesn't it?

How did you get your hands on Spiderman. Isn't that not out until the 7th?

Review copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The normal PS4 does HDR doesn't it?

It does yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wing126 wrote: »
    It does yeah.

Do you have to turn it on in the settings? I don't think mine is displaying in HDR as the colour is a little washed out compared to my X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you have to turn it on in the settings? I don't think mine is displaying in HDR as the colour is a little washed out compared to my X.

Should be a display option in games that support it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Onimusha: Warlords arrives on PS4 on 15th January 2019 with a high-definition visual upgrade and features that will improve your sword-fighting adventure

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/08/28/capcom-fan-favourite-onimusha-warlords-is-coming-to-ps4-with-a-host-of-new-features/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Does anyone know of anywhere still doing to Trade In Old PS4 and get a PS4 Pro deal?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement