Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Third controller in a row where the L3 button is not working properly anymore, its intermittent this time so when sprinting it will stop randomly, wont engage other times etc.
    Has anyone got this before and if so, could you fix it or have to replace controller? Already shelled out 150 odd quid on controllers, would love to not have to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is there much of a 'campaign'? I wouldn't be too bothered about playing online.

Campaign is good. I'll give more info when I fire up the game later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

One thing I know is they rank you by your country, which is kind of cool. You can see how you match up in Ireland (across several 'performance indicators') and work your way up.

I know a lad who is the 4th or 5th best driver from Sooth Ifricka.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

In 'campaign mode' there is the GT League. GT League is single player, not multiplayer.

GT League consists of:

Beginner League:

12 categories (50 races)

Amateur League:

13 categories (53 races)

Professional League:

9 categories (39 races)

Endurance League. Didn't progress to that yet so I know sweet feck all about that.

There is also Driving School, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience in Campaign mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is there much content in the base game?
    I know it has gotten a lot of updates since release so feel old reviews are out of date

Loads, practically new content added every two weeks or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Third controller in a row where the L3 button is not working properly anymore, its intermittent this time so when sprinting it will stop randomly, wont engage other times etc.
    Has anyone got this before and if so, could you fix it or have to replace controller? Already shelled out 150 odd quid on controllers, would love to not have to do it again!

I keep the receipt off them and haven't had any issues since the DS4 mk 2 controller came along with the Pro...

Once the fault is under 12 months I went back to the shop with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Think I need to get a new controller myself. Have it since I got the Pro just over a year ago, but now the 3 battery levels last about 15 minutes, and then I have 1 battery level for about 3 hours and have to recharge. So damn expensive though.

Think I need to get a new controller myself. Have it since I got the Pro just over a year ago, but now the 3 battery levels last about 15 minutes, and then I have 1 battery level for about 3 hours and have to recharge. So damn expensive though.

Were you charging it in a phone charger by any chance?

Could have blown it if the ampage was more than .5a

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Speaking on controllers, both mine, even after multiple resets have decided to become unresponsive.

Tried to play PES 2019 last night and it started off ok through the menus but as soon as I loaded a game it took a second or two, sometimes longer to obey the command I gave.

Brushed it off, reset the controller and it kept happening, rinse and repeated this for about 3 or 4 more attempts across both controllers, nothing, problem kept up.

I'll try another game later but its pretty annoying.

Both controllers are day one purchases so they've survived a battering so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

My controllers used need replacing frequently but have been good for many months. I thought maybe quality control had improved but maybe it's still down to rng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Also interested in this. Specifically, if you were to ignore the online portion altogether, is there enough single player content to feel like you still have a full "game"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Finally got to fire up my PS4 Pro last night. Spiderman looks amazing on it. Only played about an hour of it but liking it so far. Not so sure about the hacking bits but will see how they pan out, they kind of reek of filler at the moment though.

Will take some getting used to the PlayStation ecosystem. So far I found it a bit more sluggish than Xbox interface on my One X. Can't remember last time I used a PS controller either so have to look down to see what buttons are square, X etc. when being prompted during the webslinging tutorials in Spiderman.

My Gawd, are the download times slow though. My BB isn't great but took 45 minutes to download a 450MB system update last night which would normally be less than 5 minutes. Bought Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 so left them downloading last night and still not done this morning. You definitely wouldn't want to be getting too excited to play a game you just bought online.

skerry wrote: »
    Will take some getting used to the PlayStation ecosystem. So far I found it a bit more sluggish than Xbox interface on my One X.
    I find it the other way - think the PS4 is far more user friendly, and more responsive (and that's comparing standard PS4 to the X). Much easier to get to the things you're looking for. Personal preference I guess.
    My Gawd, are the download times slow though. My BB isn't great but took 45 minutes to download a 450MB system update last night which would normally be less than 5 minutes. Bought Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 so left them downloading last night and still not done this morning. You definitely wouldn't want to be getting too excited to play a game you just bought online.

Yeah, that's a bit of a pain. Restarting the console can help with that.

There's a whole technical spiel here, but it boils down to this:
    If any applications are running, the PS4 appears to change the settings for PSN store downloads, artificially restricting their speed. Closing the other applications will remove the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fieldog wrote: »
    Were you charging it in a phone charger by any chance?

Could have blown it if the ampage was more than .5a

I don't think so, but I can't say for certain. It does sound like something I would have done at some stage. I work off a hotspot and there's a HTC constantly plugged in beside the console, I may have used that cable if I was using my headset and charging the headset at the same time.

Speaking of, what were Sony thinking with only 2 USB ports?

if there are several downloads I'll generally pause everything except for one, not sure it helps but anything at all is worth it. The download speeds can vary from slow to oh ffs slow. I wouldn't even attempt to download anything wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

The download speeds have got a lot worse in the last 2 weeks. Young lad uses PC and steam games seem to come down quick and he tells me it is known to be slow. XB1 in the house brings files down really quickly.

Even putting my PS4 in rest mode doesn't really help. If it was free, I wouldn't complain but it is a paid service and it is not good enough.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Speaking on controllers, both mine, even after multiple resets have decided to become unresponsive.

Tried to play PES 2019 last night and it started off ok through the menus but as soon as I loaded a game it took a second or two, sometimes longer to obey the command I gave.

Brushed it off, reset the controller and it kept happening, rinse and repeated this for about 3 or 4 more attempts across both controllers, nothing, problem kept up.

Both controllers are day one purchases so they've survived a battering so far anyway

Before you go replacing the controllers make sure theres nothing blocking the line of sight between ds4 and ps4.
    I remember freaking out on the day fallout 4 launched, thinking my controller was broken. Turns out there was a shoe in front of the console that was interfering with the signal:o

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Ever since I started using those Powerline adapters, I've never had a problem with downloads being slow. I couldn't believe how fast Destiny 2 downloaded the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Ever since I started using those Powerline adapters, I've never had a problem with downloads being slow. I couldn't believe how fast Destiny 2 downloaded the other day!

I have those for years. Destiny 2 still has not downloaded and I bought Detroit become human on deal last week. Both of these are crawling slow. Wanted to play BF1 last night and it had an update also. Settled on Fifa18 after BF4. Wouldn't normally be too bothered but wife went to bed at 9:30 and I decided to pass the time on PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

GavRedKing wrote: »

Have you an external hard drive?

I had problems with a slight input lag, read some where that some drives can affect controllers.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but when I moved the drive as far as the lead would let me, the lag disappeared.
    Worth a try anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have those for years. Destiny 2 still has not downloaded and I bought Detroit become human on deal last week. Both of these are crawling slow. Wanted to play BF1 last night and it had an update also. Settled on Fifa18 after BF4. Wouldn't normally be too bothered but wife went to bed at 9:30 and I decided to pass the time on PS4.

What speeds do you get when you do the test on the console?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Will take some getting used to the PlayStation ecosystem. So far I found it a bit more sluggish than Xbox interface on my One X.
    I find it the other way - think the PS4 is far more user friendly, and more responsive (and that's comparing standard PS4 to the X). Much easier to get to the things you're looking for. Personal preference I guess.

Yeah, that's a bit of a pain. Restarting the console can help with that.

There's a whole technical spiel here, but it boils down to this:
    If any applications are running, the PS4 appears to change the settings for PSN store downloads, artificially restricting their speed. Closing the other applications will remove the limit.
    A lot of it could be me just getting used to the PS4 interface but definitely noticed a lot more loading between screens and tabs. It's not a huge amount of time but noticeable when your flicking back and forward between menus. Need to spend a bit more time personalizing it too so presume that will help.

I'll try closing apps for next download (once I figure out how) and see if that changes anything. I put in the Spiderman disc and it said there was an update and would take 5 hours so I presumed it said 45GB update but I looked again and it was only around 4.5GB and couldn't get over how long it was estimating for it to complete.

My broadband is only around 11mbps so I have the console hardwired. My brother had told me downloads were slow but didn't expect them to be that slow.

Spiderman looks great though and looking forward to seeing how God of War looks in 4k too once it drops in price. Have plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime.

Games can often download in 2 stages, the 4.5GB may have been the amount needed to start the game and the 45GB the entire file. It doesn't always seem to work I had it with Mafia where it downloaded Part 1 but I could play until the full file was done.

It can still take obnoxiously long to download even small files. Sometimes if you pause and restart the download it speeds up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Before you go replacing the controllers make sure theres nothing blocking the line of sight between ds4 and ps4.
    I remember freaking out on the day fallout 4 launched, thinking my controller was broken. Turns out there was a shoe in front of the console that was interfering with the signal:o

Its slightly blocked by a small piece of wood that holds up the TV cabinet, TBH, I dont think thats it as its been there since day 1 and its not caused an issu, I might re-position it see if it makes a difference.
    Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Have you an external hard drive?

I had problems with a slight input lag, read some where that some drives can affect controllers.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but when I moved the drive as far as the lead would let me, the lag disappeared.
    Worth a try anyways.

No, no external HDD.

Its a weird problem as it seems to run no problem for about 5minutes until I start fiddling around with the game management in PES or actually play a game, then it becomes impossibly slow.

I dont think its a PES issue but ive not tried it with any other games, I'll try another reset after work and try the controllers with another game or two, see how they get on.

System software 6.0 out today 447mb. Change log as informative as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Store down for anyone else

I was on the beta and dont see any difference other than text size seems slightly altered?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

They way they have re worked the download screen now downloads appear to be super fast for me,its the copying bit that takes an age for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Hopefully it will bring some stability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Store down for anyone else

Not working for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement