Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone know the best way to go about selling a console? I bought my PS4 Pro 1TB earlier in the year and honestly I haven't even touched it in months. The first time in my life I've regretted buying a games console. I've never sold anything online before so have no idea where to begin. Done Deal maybe, I'm not even sure how that works! What would be a reasonable selling price? I can't remember what I paid for it, I think it was €400 as that's what it seems to be retailing for at Gamestop, Smyths etc. So would selling it at €300 be an unreasonable ask do you think? It's just a standard black 1TB Pro, didn't come as part of a bundle or anything like that.

Just looked at CEX website and they buy it for around €250.

I sold my PS4 two weeks ago on one of the local selling groups on Facebook in about 3 hours. Was on Adverts for two weeks before that with only stupid offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone know the best way to go about selling a console? I bought my PS4 Pro 1TB earlier in the year and honestly I haven't even touched it in months. The first time in my life I've regretted buying a games console. I've never sold anything online before so have no idea where to begin. Done Deal maybe, I'm not even sure how that works! What would be a reasonable selling price? I can't remember what I paid for it, I think it was €400 as that's what it seems to be retailing for at Gamestop, Smyths etc. So would selling it at €300 be an unreasonable ask do you think? It's just a standard black 1TB Pro, didn't come as part of a bundle or anything like that.

You should be able to get 300 for it on adverts, just make sure to put it up for 350 if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

xtal191 wrote: »
    You should be able to get 300 for it on adverts, just make sure to put it up for 350 if you do

"Would you be interested in trading it for a Sega Master System, Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX for the PS1 and €10?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Would you be interested in trading it for a Sega Master System, Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX for the PS1 and €10?"

"I'll give you €120 if you come to Dublin"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am looking to buy a ps4 and would have gone for a second hand one but the prices for second hand ones seem close enough to full retail. So will go with retail for full warranty etc.

The smyths 500g version with fifa 18 and extra controller for 319 looks hard to beat...but might hold off for an equivalent red dead bundle if there will be one.

We would only be occasional users.
    Any one know of any deals to keep an eye out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

300 for that dudes pro assuming it's in good nick would be about the best you could hope for is say.

Could pick up fifa second had and wouldn't cost ya much more for the console and fifa and you'll have a 1tb pro console ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ImANoob08 wrote:
    300 for that dudes pro assuming it's in good nick would be about the best you could hope for is say.

500GB is a big issue too when Red Dead 2 is apparently over 100GB's & most games are over 50 GB's it means a lot of management of memory and redownloading patches. With 1TB you've a lot more leeway. Pro's games just perform better too, even if it is negligible in some cases overall it's fact.

ERG89 wrote: »
    ImANoob08 wrote:

500GB is a big issue too when Red Dead 2 is apparently over 100GB's & most games are over 50 GB's it means a lot of management of memory and redownloading patches. With 1TB you've a lot more leeway. Pro's games just perform better too, even if it is negligible in some cases overall it's fact.

Good point! Had seen red dead was gonna be 100gigs and couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I tend to go with what CEX's price is for selling and buying and aim for a midway point. That way you make more than simply trading into CEX and the buyer gets it cheaper too.

Currently CEX have it for €254 to buy, €410 to sell, so halfway point would be €330 or so. €300 sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    Good point! Had seen red dead was gonna be 100gigs and couldn't believe it!

It’s not actually 100 gigs, every game just requires twice the amount of space it will take up to be installed.

Once it’s installed it will only take up 50 or so.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?

I know about the game taking up double space to install but was told by one of the lads I play a lot with that it was gonna be a 100gig game after install.

He could of course been mistaken but he tends to be generally reliable about stuff like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Are you sure?

I know about the game taking up double space to install but was told by one of the lads I play a lot with that it was gonna be a 100gig game after install.

He could of course been mistaken but he tends to be generally reliable about stuff like this

It says 100gb's on the box afaik. Think it only needs double the space when installing the game, which would mean you'd need 200gb's free to install it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Are you sure?

I don’t think anyone really knows for sure until the pre-loads are up but I remember someone posted that it was 100GB on Reddit and it got debunked by a load of people saying what I just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thing is if it was just 55gb and just needed the 105gb+ to install no one would remark at all as thats totally unremarkable.

Loads of games are that size.

To me the attention its getting only makes sense if the full install size is 105gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

if it's a 210 GB install I'm going to need to make some room but it looks like it is

Anyone notice that when you buy a new game it takes way more time now for it to install and play. First noticed it with Spiderman

Anyone notice that when you buy a new game it takes way more time now for it to install and play. First noticed it with Spiderman

Is it the copying process? I downloaded a patch for destiny in about two minutes but was gonna take about 45 to copy or some bull.

End3d up turning if off and playing the next day. I don't get eno7gh time on the console these days to wait that long for a file to copy

Is it the copying process? I downloaded a patch for destiny in about two minutes but was gonna take about 45 to copy or some bull.

Yeah its when you click on the game and it says (Copying Application). Spiderman I think took 50 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

J. Marston wrote: »

uiD9YP9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Put the system into rest mode when downloading or installing, it's much faster as it isn't doing anything else at the same time.

Longer install times might be down to greater compression being used, both in downloaded files and on disc. A PS4 disc isn't any bigger than a PS3 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

End3d up turning if off and playing the next day. I don't get eno7gh time on the console these days to wait that long for a file to copy

This. I don't know what's changed but as a casual PS4 user (only use it once a week or so) game updates now take forever due to this copying crap.

I've had Overwatch/COD updates take 2 minutes to download and then 20-30 minutes to 'copy'...then just another 2 to install.

Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This. I don't know what's changed but as a casual PS4 user (only use it once a week or so) game updates now take forever due to this copying crap.

I've had Overwatch/COD updates take 2 minutes to download and then 20-30 minutes to 'copy'...then just another 2 to install.

Painful.

I think I read the explanation of the Copying thing is that you're downloading a zip file (to reduce the download size) and copying is it extracting/installing. So it's likely splitting the difference between how long the unzipped file would take to download and install, depending on your download speeds.

That said, they do need to find a better way of optimising it to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Interesting read.

I wouldn't be a fan of PSN security but this is a real shocker. Hacked with 2 step verification, frightening.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/43ebpd/the-long-weird-story-explaining-why-i-bid-dollar700-for-a-stolen-psn-account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Interesting read.

I wouldn't be a fan of PSN security but this is a real shocker. Hacked with 2 step verification, frightening.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/43ebpd/the-long-weird-story-explaining-why-i-bid-dollar700-for-a-stolen-psn-account

Ridiculous. I don't know if companies face any serious consequences for hacks, but they should. It's happening too often now and companies are hiding it from the public. Governments need to introduce strict laws that heavily punish companies who suffer data breach, and Sony should be top of the pile to be investigated.

On a side note, what sad individual spends that much of their time trying to steal somebody's PSN account. Pathetic really.

Benzino wrote: »
    Ridiculous. I don't know if companies face any serious consequences for hacks, but they should. It's happening too often now and companies are hiding it from the public. Governments need to introduce strict laws that heavily punish companies who suffer data breach, and Sony should be top of the pile to be investigated.

On a side note, what sad individual spends that much of their time trying to steal somebody's PSN account. Pathetic really.

Could happen with any company really. I'd to ring Vodafone last week and the agent who answered prompted me one of my security question answers. It really depends who answers the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could happen with any company really. I'd to ring Vodafone last week and the agent who answered prompted me one of my security question answers. It really depends who answers the phone.

I know, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Until there are hefty punishments, there will be no incentive to improve it. Your information is more valuable than money, and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

TitianGerm wrote: »

Yes it could but honestly the worst part of that article is the shocking customer service and the complete lack of assistance to the account owner and failure to comment to the reporter. By the sounds of it this is a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Benzino wrote: »

Yeah I don't get it, also:
    “No one actually pays real money for accounts, so I bet he’s thrilled,” said the hacker who’d tipped me off to the forum in the first place.

So what do they actually do this for?

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get it, also:

So what do they actually do this for?

Probably trade other stuff? Fortnite skins Xbox credit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement