Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

wonder would the new GDPR Regs offer protection. I'm no expert but Sony surely have a duty to protect your personal data under the regulations. Fines go up to 3 or 4% of your global turnover if you fail to do so - that would be Sony's Group turnover not just PlayStation

they'd need to be taking this seriously or we could all be x-boxers by next gen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gimli2112 wrote: »
    wonder would the new GDPR Regs offer protection. I'm no expert but Sony surely have a duty to protect your personal data under the regulations. Fines go up to 3 or 4% of your global turnover if you fail to do so - that would be Sony's Group turnover not just PlayStation

It'd be just SIEE or SIENE

you sure? there was a lot of concern when BA got hit last month that any fine would be levied on the Group turnover.
    I'm not sure how they are applied anyway and if they are staggered depending how stupid the data controller is

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The fines are imposed for not notifying those affected by a breach in a timely manner not for actually having a breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Interesting read.

I wouldn't be a fan of PSN security but this is a real shocker. Hacked with 2 step verification, frightening.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/43ebpd/the-long-weird-story-explaining-why-i-bid-dollar700-for-a-stolen-psn-account

Please answer my question, because I'm genuinely curious... are there ppl in this section of the forum that post in the Xbox section of the forum with nothing but negative stories about Xbox that have been trawled up from the depths of the internet all the time ?

I'm really interested to know where your motivation for constant negativity in this section of the forum stems from, are you provoked into this course of repetitiveness ?

• Advertisement

Please answer my question, because I'm genuinely curious... are there ppl in this section of the forum that post in the Xbox section of the forum with nothing but negative stories about Xbox that have been trawled up from the depths of the internet all the time ?

I'm really interested to know where your motivation for constant negativity in this section of the forum stems from, are you provoked into this course of repetitiveness ?

Get over yourself will you. What he posted is very valid and is a serious worry for all of us but you choose to ignore it because it was posted by Failsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

I don't think people understand the concept that even if you don't like someone you can still agree with them occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Get over yourself will you. What he posted is very valid and is a serious worry for all of us but you choose to ignore it because it was posted by Failsafe.

It is indeed worrying that something like that could happen to your account. That said, the amount of work needed by the hacker to get to your account would mean that it's not something I could see happening on a widespread basis.

It does get annoying that yer man only posts when he's found something negative about Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Why do I need to get over myself ?

I don't see how the story is valid to me, I have secured my account to a high level and maintain that security, the guy in the article linked to was very lax about his security to begin with.

Please dig up positive a post by Failsafe in this section of the forum, He's been kicking about around here for years baiting the forum with negativity.

Maybe your not that familiar with his tactics.

I think it is a fair question that I asked to his motivation as his persistence is incredible.

Why do I need to get over myself ?

I don't see how the story is valid to me, I have secured my account to a high level and maintain that security, the guy in the article linked to was very lax about his security to begin with.

Please dig up positive a post by Failsafe in this section of the forum, He's been kicking about around here for years baiting the forum with negativity.

Maybe your not that familiar with his tactics.

I think it is a fair question that I asked to his motivation as his persistence is incredible.

He doesn't have to post anything positive, you can post negative articles if you want. It's like you just saw who posted and discounted it straight away because of who posted it.

That guy had 2FA on his account and it was bypassed so it proves it can happen.

• Advertisement

He doesn't have to post anything positive, you can post negative articles if you want. It's like you just saw who posted and discounted it straight away because of who posted it.

That guy had 2FA on his account and it was bypassed so it proves it can happen.

That's pretty worrying but no surprise. I reckon a dedicated hacker could get into much of my stuff easier than I could. The number of passwords I have for different things particularly in work is unbelievable, more often than not I just reset a password to get in to something.

I read much of the article (it was very long) the guy may have been lax originally but subsequently set up 2FA, the thing that got me most was the hacker ultimately took control of the account by getting information directly from Sony.

, the thing that got me most was the hacker ultimately took control of the account by getting information directly from Sony.

This is the main worry in the article. If an individual can bypass your 2FA it's not worth a feck.

Yes this will likely effect very few people but it's still a weakness in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This is the main worry in the article. If an individual can bypass your 2FA it's not worth a feck.

Yes this will likely effect very few people but it's still a weakness in the system.

Social engineering can be used to get around 2FA. I think it happened to the youtuber Boogie2988 a few years back.
    All they need is your phone number.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/10/hacker-kevin-mitnick-shows-how-to-bypass-2fa/?guccounter=1

Social engineering can be used to get around 2FA. I think it happened to the youtuber Boogie2988 a few years back.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/10/hacker-kevin-mitnick-shows-how-to-bypass-2fa/?guccounter=1

Here's how Xbox Live policy enforcement lead Stephen Toulouse's Xbox Live Gold account was hacked using social engineering techniques. It's a weakness that can be exploited on any system.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/xbox-live-hacker-all-accounts-are-open-to-attacks-28471704/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Here's how Xbox Live policy enforcement lead Stephen Toulouse's Xbox Live Gold account was hacked using social engineering techniques. It's a weakness that can be exploited on any system.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/xbox-live-hacker-all-accounts-are-open-to-attacks-28471704/

You should really post that in the XBox forum :rolleyes:

I for one am grateful to Failsafe to pointing out all these flaws in my beloved PS machines.
    At the end of the day people are entitled to opinions the trick is not to get too carried away when you don't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I wonder what will happen in situations like that when they allow your psn Id to be changed. If a hacker changes the email and phone numer associated with the account and the psn username will the Sony reps be even able to find your account searching their system? Hopefully they will but who knows.

You should really post that in the XBox forum :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, does anyone do a failsafe in the Xbox forum?

Out of curiosity, does anyone do a failsafe in the Xbox forum?

Every format here has a sligeach.

iamtony wrote: »
    Every format here has a sligeach.

Was he the guy that was constantly posting negative news on the Switch thread. Is he still at it?

• Advertisement

Actually I remember a video of him talking about that!!

It's what I said yesterday regarding Vodafone hinting at my security question answers. It's only as good as your support staff.

It's what I said yesterday regarding Vodafone hinting at my security question answers. It's only as good as your support staff.

Yeah, if you ring up enough times, getting different people each time, I'm sure it would be easy to get enough information to bypass any security measures.

Was he the guy that was constantly posting negative news on the Switch thread. Is he still at it?

Yup still their ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Ah everyone has a bias, we all do to a certain extent.

When someone has an obvious bias though, it looks like they're making a mountain out of a molehill or an ocean out of a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's the reason why on PlayStation I won't buy digital copies of games. I can't trust them with security.

Just a safeguard measure so if my account is hacked I can just create a new one.

Didn't even have to dig :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107746077&postcount=8987
    The PS4 20th anniversary edition. That was awesome.

PS4_anniversary_ed_3126600b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

iamtony wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen in situations like that when they allow your psn Id to be changed. If a hacker changes the email and phone numer associated with the account and the psn username will the Sony reps be even able to find your account searching their system? Hopefully they will but who knows.

They keep track of your old username if you change it, so yeah, they should be still able to find it.

Be careful with your PSN messages lads from names you do not recognise.

A PSN exploit is letting hackers send messages. Once you open them it restarts your PS4 with an error message.

*Don't open messages from people you don't recognise*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Jesus here he is again with negatives about Sony! Blah blah blah!

Only joking mate sounds for the heads up!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement