Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Damien360 wrote: »
    Flower was a great game. Play it with the controller out in front of you while you lay out on the couch. The music, athmosphere, colour was fantastic.
    Each to there own and all that I just didn't think it was amazing. I never finished it so maybe it got better but what I played didn't hold my interest for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dishonored: Definitive Edition will be half price for anyone who has the digital version, including those who have the PS+ version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have never heard of Journey. What is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

faceman wrote: »
    I have no idea, but I'm loving it. I just got into the third area and my reaction was, out loud, 'Ah here!'. It's seriously lovely looking. Very nice music. I have no idea why I've a big grin at the moment, but I like this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

iamtony wrote: »
    Is it great in the same way as people said flower was great? I didn't think much of flower dispite the rave reviews.

Flower was cool for an hour imo, i never finished it. But Journey i finished in one play through.. much less gimmicky, and genuinely entertaining from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

faceman wrote: »

That's a good situation to be in. Don't read anything more, just download and play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I liked Flower but never went back to it. I give Journey an annual play through at Christmas, although I'll bring it forward this year as I want to see it on PS4.

It marks the third time in my 30+ year game-playing life that I had to rethink everything I understood about what games can do. I love that two and a half hours of gameplay and no words had me utterly emotionally invested like nothing else.

I can definitely see how it might not be for everyone though. I'd suggest trying to play it in one go with as few distractions around as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Downloaded Journey last night not knowing much about about it. Looking forward to getting into it over the next week now. Sounds great.

I'm getting a hint of an Ico vibe from what I've seen or am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I liked Flower but never went back to it. I give Journey an annual play through at Christmas, although I'll bring it forward this year as I want to see it on PS4.

It marks the third time in my 30+ year game-playing life that I had to rethink everything I understood about what games can do. I love that two and a half hours of gameplay and no words had me utterly emotionally invested like nothing else.

I can definitely see how it might not be for everyone though. I'd suggest trying to play it in one go with as few distractions around as possible.

I played around half an hour last night and didn't like it one bit. It bored me to tears tbh but your post above suggests to me that there's more to this game than it seems. I'll give it another go this evening and try absorb the weird but very pretty world it's set in. If I still don't like it by the end I'm blaming you Beefy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It really is a game to play and finish in one sitting with no one bothering you. I played in on PS3 when it came out and can't wait to play it again. You really think about it for a while after you finish it. It's a sum of more than all its parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah exactly. You need to play it in one sitting, ideally with the curtains shut and some headphones on.

It is two and a half hours out of your life - the same as a movie. But I think you need to commit that time to it to get anything out of it. As I said, I can see why someone might not like it, especially if they just dip into it for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I always meant to buy Journey on the PS3 but just never got around to it. I'm buying a lot more digitally on PS4 though so definitely giving this a crack soon. It seems like something I will definitely love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Batesy wrote: »
    Downloaded Journey last night not knowing much about about it. Looking forward to getting into it over the next week now. Sounds great.

I'm getting a hint of an Ico vibe from what I've seen or am I way off?

It won't take you much more than an afternoon to complete it. That's the only negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It won't take you much more than an afternoon to complete it. That's the only negative.

I disagree that's considered a negative. Length is perfect imo.

tok9 wrote: »

I should have written imo after my comment, then you'd know that I wasn't trying to speak on behalf of the entire gaming community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

The whole length issue in gaming is such a funny one for me. People are always complaining about their backlog and how they'll never get to play half the games they own. Then a nice short single player game comes along that they really enjoy but they complain that it's less than ten hours long.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    The whole length issue in gaming is such a funny one for me. People are always complaining about their backlog and how they'll never get to play half the games they own. Then a nice short single player game comes along that they really enjoy but they complain that it's less than ten hours long.

I think it's quite short when you consider the price. I prefer to own a hardcopy of a game, so Journey cost me almost €30. That's a lot of money for 2-3 hours of media.

So I'll qualify my earlier comment: The length is not a negative aspect of the game, but for me it was a negative aspect of the purchase.

Incidentally, I loath games that are too long. Under 10 hours is exactly what I want.

I should have written imo after my comment, then you'd know that I wasn't trying to speak on behalf of the entire gaming community.

I wasn't directing my response to the entire gaming community.
    I think it's quite short when you consider the price. I prefer to own a hardcopy of a game, so Journey cost me almost €30. That's a lot of money for 2-3 hours of media.

I don't think length should dictate the price of a game. I'd prefer 1 hour of quality gaming rather than 30 hours of rubbish.

Also where can you buy Journey by itself for €30?

Some games feel like there is a need for them to be longer, while other like Journey feel just right, if you go back to the times of the Snes/Mega Drive some games could be finished in under half an hour, while the average time to finish a game was about 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got code for street fighter beta tomorrow, I've redeemed it but will likely only show up on store tomorrow.

Edit: It showed up, 1.3gb on store.

• Advertisement

Got one too. Not really a fighting game person anymore but something about this Street Fighter makes me want to check it out.

Got mine by pre ordering from Amazon.com and then cancelling it, have it pre ordered on Amazon.co.uk as well, so if I get a second one I will offer it here.

The beta is 1.4gb and the update is another 1.4gb.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got escapists last night, I want my 12 euro back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Xenji wrote: »
    Got mine by pre ordering from Amazon.com and then cancelling it, have it pre ordered on Amazon.co.uk as well, so if I get a second one I will offer it here.

The beta is 1.4gb and the update is another 1.4gb.

If you get another code, I'd love to give it a try. Cheers.

martyos121 wrote: »
    If you get another code, I'd love to give it a try. Cheers.

I will PM you if I do, if you really want one now, pre order off Amazon.com and they will send you out a code straight away for use on the US PSN site, then just cancel the pre order.

I don't think length should dictate the price of a game. I'd prefer 1 hour of quality gaming rather than 30 hours of rubbish.

I'd pay good money not to play a rubbish game for 30 hours! So that's a bit of a non-argument. Seriously though, what are you willing to pay for that 1 hour? Would you pay €55 (the average price of a new title)? I don't think you would. You might do it occasionally when something truly unique comes along, like Journey. But would you consistently hand out that kinda money for 1 or 2 hours of gameplay? Most people wouldn't. I wouldn't. I wouldn't pay it to get into a cinema, I wouldn't pay it for an individual Bluray and I wouldn't pay it for a game. It's just too much, and I suspect the publisher/distributor of Journey felt the same, because it was less than €30 when it was released on disc, despite already being a critical and commercial success.

I just bought Street Fighter for PS4. Should I receive a code?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I don't think length should dictate the price of a game.

Oh it most definitely should.

Also where can you buy Journey by itself for €30?

It's currently on Amazon for around €22. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it upon release, but I think it was about €30, bearing in mind that the Euro would have been stronger then.

• Advertisement

Wright wrote: »
    Oh it most definitely should.

If we're talking about price then we should probably be more interested in actual content, not simply length.

Something like The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is only worth a few quid, despite being endlessly replayable (due to procedural generation). I think it's a better game than The Witcher, based on my own preferences, but there's no way I would have paid €65 for Isaac, as I did with The Witcher. One look at The Witcher and you can see the enormous amount of work that went into it. You know that comes at a price. On the other, Isaac looks like it was made by a guy in his bedroom. In fact, I think it was. And more power to him. But I'm not gonna give him €65.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement